Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is getting serious ! WTF !

There is a shortage of microprocessors in the world, and it is affecting everything.

In the U.S. there is a shortage of appliances and cars.

Cars require 50 microprocessors.

One of my daughter’s car has masking tape to hold the fender on, and when she looks at used cars, they have

really jacked up the prices.

The outlook is things will get worse.

Ford, following other car manufacturers, will stop the Mustang production for a few weeks, because there is no chips.
Could she not just get a new fender?

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
She could get a new fender, but was hoping to use that money to find a newer used car.

Thanks for your answer, souleater.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I remember that up until (probably) the mid 1980s, we made cars perfectly well without any microprocessors in.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Renting a car in America has gotten very expensive.

Renting car agencies let their inventory go down during covid and now can not replace their inventory because car manufacturers are not making cars because of the chip shortage.

Tumbling dominos effect in the economy.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Renting car agencies let their inventory go down during covid and now can not replace their inventory because car manufacturers are not making cars because of the chip shortage.

I predict there will be more shortages of chips and other components in the future, because the West will have a major falling-out with China and they will restrict our access to rare earth metals. For a while, until new sources are available, there will be shortages.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I predict there will be more shortages of chips and other components in the future, because the West will have a major falling-out with China and they will restrict our access to rare earth metals. For a while, until new sources are available, there will be shortages.
Im sure thte are hundreds of people, spending millions of dollars researching alternàives to the chips that use rare earth metals, even as i speak (so to speak :p )

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
So back to manual carburetors, and engines constructed so that basic repairs and adjustments can be made without recourse to a computer hook-up at a specified car dealership?
Possibly the old stuff was less efficient and therefore not eco-friendly but isn't this offset by having to either pay an overpriced dealership for non-essential work or "trading in" one car for a new one?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A pair of old third hand sneakers are due to go to auction at Sotherbys with an estimate of $1 million.

"A pair of shoes designed and worn by musician Kanye West that are going up for auction are the most valuable to appear on the market, the auction house selling them says.
The Nike Air Yeezy 1 Prototypes have an estimate of $1 million (£726,000)."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56749858
UPDATE

Third hand pair of old sneakers sell for a record $1.8 million.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56890758

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score

How the hell did they 'allow their inventory to go down'? Just tell people not to bother bringing back they cars they hired?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
How the hell did they 'allow their inventory to go down'? Just tell people not to bother bringing back they cars they hired?
Sell off old cars, neglect to replace them with new ones until demand goes back up?

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
According to Hertz and Avis, these companies only keep their new cars a year, then they are sold to the used car brokers.

Also the mileage parameter is getting rid of the car over 25,000 miles and not more than 40,000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
According to Hertz and Avis, these companies only keep their new cars a year, then they are sold to the used car brokers.
Also the mileage parameter is getting rid of the car over 25,000 miles and not more than 40,000 miles.

Yep ... Rental car companies have run the numbers and set the selling / disposal criteria that theoretical yield the best rate of return on their investment. This is now institutionalized as the rate at which they drop new model cars from inventory.

In the last year production of the vehicles these companies use has dropped, so the supply stream has significantly reduced.

Lower supply-side input and the same disposal-side output means their inventories have shrunk.

In the mean time, demand for rental cars has plummeted, so they're not making as much money per vehicle during the time the vehicle is in their possession. They haven't adapted to the pandemic-era conditions, so it's squeezing their profit margins.

michael59

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yep ... Rental car companies have run the numbers and set the selling / disposal criteria that theoretical yield the best rate of return on their investment. This is now institutionalized as the rate at which they drop new model cars from inventory.

In the last year production of the vehicles these companies use has dropped, so the supply stream has significantly reduced.

Lower supply-side input and the same disposal-side output means their inventories have shrunk.

In the mean time, demand for rental cars has plummeted, so they're not making as much money per vehicle during the time the vehicle is in their possession. They haven't adapted to the pandemic-era conditions, so it's squeezing their profit margins.

There's a commercial on youtube regarding these cars and how they go for very low prices even though they are in great shape with low mileage.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Just when you think things could be getting better, CNN has to go and spoil it.

There is going to be a shortage of gas this summer, and yes there is plenty of gas for everyone.

During the covid, people were not traveling or flying, and gas truck companies parked their gas delivery trucks.

These truck drivers went to work for people like Amazon delivery trucks, FedEx, and UPS.

Now since Biden has almost canceled all covid restrictions, millions of people are again traveling and flying.

There is not enough of certified gas truck drivers and this will lead to a gas shortage and higher prices.

I knew I should not get to happy so quickly.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The WTF-ness is strong in this one - a man who parks his vehicle, steals someone else's vehicle, and then rams the stolen vehicle into his own. :dunno:
Westfield man arrested after stealing car and ramming it into his own truck

State Police say they responded to a car theft this morning in Mars Hill.

Around 9 a.m. they received a call from a woman who was watching a man sitting in his truck near her home before running up and down East Ridge Road.

The man then stole the woman’s Jeep Grand Cherokee and began ramming it into his own truck just down the road.

As State Troopers began responding to the scene the man then returned the Jeep to the woman’s house and ran back towards his own truck. ...

Troopers located the man who refused to exit his vehicle.

So troopers broke a window to be able to arrest him. ...

{The man ... } was already on bail with one condition being he not drive a vehicle until he was licensed to do so.
SOURCE: https://www.wabi.tv/2021/04/24/west...ealing-car-and-ramming-it-into-his-own-truck/

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
We were walking on the beach at Vung Tau this evening. It's a long weekend coming up - the euphemistically titled "reunification day" on Friday, and Monday off in lieu of Labour day, so the crowds are already out in force at the seaside. To our horror, about 500 metres away from us, some lunatic was buzzing the holidaymakers in a helicopter: variations on a theme of hovering just over the sand (below the treeline), flying backwards, skimming the sea surface and flying in between the hotel buildings under roof level. Absolutely terrifying to witness. I am not ashamed to admit we turned and fled. The really scary thing was that we seemed to be the only ones doing so...

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
It does sound rather scary.
What part of the world are you in? (*) Do they have a fairly relaxed attitude towards....er....'health & safety'?

(*) - please don't say Cromer, lol.

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
It does sound rather scary.
What part of the world are you in? (*) Do they have a fairly relaxed attitude towards....er....'health & safety'?

(*) - please don't say Cromer, lol.
Vung Tau is the closest seaside resort to Ho Chi Minh city, aka Saigon. So, uh, yeah, fairly relaxed about Health and Safety. It's also an oil town, so they fly helicopters to and from the rigs offshore. My guess is someone started their weekend early. Either that, or it was a big boss come down for the holiday, and nobody dared say no when he asked for the keys. It didn't look like one of the lumbering ex-Soviet transports that you normally see here, though: it was smaller and seemingly more modern. Certainly more agile, given the way the pilot was flinging it about.