• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Things That Make You Go... WTF?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
We were walking on the beach at Vung Tau this evening. It's a long weekend coming up - the euphemistically titled "reunification day" on Friday, and Monday off in lieu of Labour day, so the crowds are already out in force at the seaside. To our horror, about 500 metres away from us, some lunatic was buzzing the holidaymakers in a helicopter: variations on a theme of hovering just over the sand (below the treeline), flying backwards, skimming the sea surface and flying in between the hotel buildings under roof level. Absolutely terrifying to witness. I am not ashamed to admit we turned and fled. The really scary thing was that we seemed to be the only ones doing so...
Coincidentally(?), Vung Tau was a US helicopter base during the Vietnam war.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experimental_Military_Unit

l believe that it was also an operational conversion unit for aircrew transitioning to the Cobra gunship.

maximus otter

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
We were walking on the beach at Vung Tau this evening. It's a long weekend coming up - the euphemistically titled "reunification day" on Friday, and Monday off in lieu of Labour day, so the crowds are already out in force at the seaside. To our horror, about 500 metres away from us, some lunatic was buzzing the holidaymakers in a helicopter: variations on a theme of hovering just over the sand (below the treeline), flying backwards, skimming the sea surface and flying in between the hotel buildings under roof level. Absolutely terrifying to witness. I am not ashamed to admit we turned and fled. The really scary thing was that we seemed to be the only ones doing so...
See anyone filming? Next Bond film?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
So I was just looking something up on merriam-webster.com and noticed on their homepage they show the top ten words being looked up right now. Number one was "coprophilia".
This was mentioned in an advert for a forthcoming program about the sexual desires of Hitler, that may be the reason.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A £10,000 gold coin has been produced as part of the Queens Beasts collection, weighing 22lbs it took 4 days to polish.

_118245517_uk21b10kthequeensbeasts2021ukgoldproof10kilocoinreversewithhands2.jpg

The Royal Mint said its biggest coin took 400 hours to produce - including four days of polishing.

The 8in-wide (20cm) coin was created using traditional skills and innovative technology, it said.

It marks the end of the mint's Queen's Beasts commemorative coin collection, inspired by 10 stone statues which lined the Queen's route to Westminster Abbey at her coronation in 1953.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-56920734

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
This was mentioned in an advert for a forthcoming program about the sexual desires of Hitler, that may be the reason.
I saw that advert and have two WTFs about it. Number one - That the depths of creepy Hitler obsession by certain TV channels have got this desperate. Number two - That this actually appears to be a SERIES, the wording being "starting soon". :psych:

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw that advert and have two WTFs about it. Number one - That the depths of creepy Hitler obsession by certain TV channels have got this desperate. Number two - That this actually appears to be a SERIES, the wording being "starting soon". :psych:
I will be avoiding this one strangely enough!

Sounds a bit shit!

skinny

TIT
Reaction score
The story in this video is so anti-logical ... corporate consumerism is actually eating itself. Yet it still made me wanna eat a quarter pounder. Brb.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
A £10,000 gold coin has been produced as part of the Queens Beasts collection
Apparently it has been made for Liz to use in her Fois Gras vending machine in Windsor Castle if she gets a bit peckish in the middle of the night.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
As far as I'm aware she has a 'night servant' to do it for her.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
A £10,000 gold coin has been produced as part of the Queens Beasts collection, weighing 22lbs it took 4 days to polish.
looks like chocolate and foil!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Are you sure they're not serialising Pier Paolo Pasolini's final film Salo?

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
My sister relayed a story about my mom’s mother I never knew.

I am old so my mom’s mother would have been a teenager around the early 1900’s.

It seemed to have been fashionable in those days to visit a tea room, and on the side an employee would read your tea leaves.

So, my grandma was into tea readings.

W.T.F.

I thought my grandma was always a down to earth person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
This won't make anyone else go WTF ..

I've just woken up and was all ready and pumped up to go to work .. then the Mrs gently told me it's instead 8 in the evening and not 8 in the morning and I've already been to work today. The light through my bedroom window looked just like 8am. We've had our heads kicked in today at work. The first bank holiday weekend in a seaside town while lockdown is being eased down.

Technotronic - Pump Up The Jam (Official Video) - YouTube

and ..

Rezillos - Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight - YouTube

Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
So, my grandma was into tea readings.
I think tea-readings, like newspaper horoscopes used to be just a bit of social fluff for many people. I can remember many occasions where someone would read out the predictions and others would shout out their star-signs. A lot of scoffing went on in those canteens but it was also something of a social lubricant, enabling those who wanted to expand on whether they really were lucky-in-love or likely to win the lottery.

It has bitten the dust, as a routine, since the demise of the papers and the rise of the mobiles, for folk to gape into, alone. :rasp:

Herr Cloaca

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
I've just woken up and was all ready and pumped up to go to work .. then the Mrs gently told me it's instead 8 in the evening and not 8 in the morning and I've already been to work today.
I had a similar experience once. Woke up and looked at the alarm clock, and although the alarm clock said "AM" or "PM" in tiny letters, I missed that and didn't know whether it was morning or evening. Drew the curtains, and it was foggy outside - it could have been morning or evening.
I think I rang the speaking clock (123) in order to find out what time it was.

Swifty

Reaction score
I had a similar experience once. Woke up and looked at the alarm clock, and although the alarm clock said "AM" or "PM" in tiny letters, I missed that and didn't know whether it was morning or evening. Drew the curtains, and it was foggy outside - it could have been morning or evening.
I think I rang the speaking clock (123) in order to find out what time it was.
Messed up isn't it? .. here's a tenuous link/excuse to drop another rave tune about 4 0clock in the morning and being in another mind ..

RATPACK~4 O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING - YouTube

Swifty

Reaction score
Messed up part 2 ..

My female co worker/ rookie I'm training up asked me for permission to go and buy some sanitary towels from the shop next door during our shared work shift today? .. don't ask me!? .. her body's none of my business!?, just tell me instead and absolutely and always and end of conversation. Then she confided her ex used to beat her up :( ... so she's nervous around men .. and occasionally talks about her lack of periods for 3 years to me? .. ffs .. weird ..

*deep sigh* (I might/probably am be being played)

Last edited:

WeeScottishLassie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Messed up part 2 ..

My female co worker/ rookie I'm training up asked me for permission to go and buy some sanitary towels from the shop next door during our shared work shift today? .. don't ask me!? .. her body's none of my business!?, just tell me instead and absolutely and always and end of conversation. Then she confided her ex used to beat her up :( ... so she's nervous around men .. and occasionally talks about her lack of periods for 3 years to me? .. ffs .. weird ..

*deep sigh* (I might/probably am be being played)
That's definitely a bit weird! She must like you and feel comfortable around you.

Swifty

Reaction score
That's definitely a bit weird! She must like you and feel comfortable around you.
The Mrs reckons she's the thief and is just charming me :( .. and the Mrs has also been round the block a few times. I called in the regional manager who's upgraded our CCTV and also provided red tape bags (same ones they use for covid tests) so my cash drops are now instantly sealed.

WeeScottishLassie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The Mrs reckons she's the thief and is just charming me :( .. and the Mrs has also been round the block a few times. I called in the regional manager who's upgraded our CCTV and also provided red tape bags (same ones they use for covid tests) so my cash drops are now instantly sealed.
Perhaps your Mrs is right. It does sound really peculiar though.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
We've had our heads kicked in today at work. The first bank holiday weekend in a seaside town while lockdown is being eased down.
Technotronic - Pump Up The Jam (Official Video) - YouTube
and ..
Rezillos - Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight - YouTube
Same here. Seaside town, lockdown eased, visitors on "frenzy" mode ...
On balance, we've little social distancing but mask-wearing is widespread - with a few 'I forgot' but scrabble for said mask.
The weather is set poor though here in Filey we seem to have an alternative weather system so we've had a couple of heavy showers but it's largely mild with sunny spells.
It looks like all the visitors made the bookings way in advance and a little 'climate' isn't going to stop them. Local businesses need the income so it's welcome but, chatting to fellow store-owners, the bizarre thing is that it's not increased visitor numbers but it seems like it is. I'm not sure that there are more tourists (due to lockdown blues or staycation considerations) but it feels so crowded after being so damn quiet for months.
It's like we've forgotten what a busy bank holiday can be like. :D

P.S. Much appreciate the music links, esp. the Rezillos.