Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Let's not forget one important fact about the first Predator: two of the stars became governors of U.S. states!

This fellow has his eyes on Arizona...

View attachment 42352
Jeez this is design genius and a fabulous mask. Does anyone know how the pieces moved while the performer was wearing it? Another one of those situations where there were 9 guys lying down operating hydraulics? (Jabba was 13 or 14 puppeteers)

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
If you do try Alien 3 again, make sure it's the recut extended version.
I just looked around and didn't find an extended edition. Do you know the date or who issued? Thx.
Edit - ah the trick is that these appear only to have been issued in Europe. EBay has them - inexpensive product, heavy shipping. And region is not listed but I assume not the same as the US.

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Jeez this is design genius and a fabulous mask. Does anyone know how the pieces moved while the performer was wearing it? Another one of those situations where there were 9 guys lying down operating hydraulics? (Jabba was 13 or 14 puppeteers)
Usually servo animatronics operated by remote control plus air bags under a mask to simulate muscle movement back then. Or sometimes they'd be no actor under a mask, it was a replica cast pull and it would be used as an old school puppet ... like the alien dog thing from the kennel scene in The Thing which was F/X genius Stan Winston freestyling with his arm inside it so the movement looked more organic. I can't remember who did the S/F/X for Predator but I've got a feeling that was also Stan Winston? .. I could be wrong .. I'll have a look now ..

edit: so Stan Winston did work on it but so did KNB, Screaming Mad George and a ton of others ..

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093773/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_cl_sm

Last edited:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Usually servo animatronics operated by remote control plus air bags under a mask to simulate muscle movement back then. Or sometimes they'd be no actor under a mask, it was a replica cast pull and it would be used as an old school puppet ... like the alien dog thing from the kennel scene in The Thing which was F/X genius Stan Winston freestyling with his am inside it so the movement looked for organic. I can't remember who did the S/F/X for Predator but I've got a feeling that was also Stan Winston? .. I could be wrong .. I'll have a look now ..
Yep it was Stan Winston who did the effects for Predator. He was called in when the original suit didn't come up to expectations.
https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/blog/predator-30th-anniversary-behind-the-scenes

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I just looked around and didn't find an extended edition. Do you know the date or who issued? Thx.
Edit - ah the trick is that these appear only to have been issued in Europe. EBay has them - inexpensive product, heavy shipping. And region is not listed but I assume not the same as the US.

Might be better value to hunt down the Quadrilogy box set, you get multiple versions of the first four movies.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Might be better value to hunt down the Quadrilogy box set, you get multiple versions of the first four movies.
Thanks but too late. Coming from Dorset. It was disappointing how lousy the disc descriptions were. Special Editions, Director's cuts, a 9-disc set with a stuffed animal included, this one actually said "includes the Director's extra footage" etc. although the film timing is still 1:56 which was the original . We'll see what arrives. I have an all-region player because several of John Carpenter's commentary versions are available only in Europe ("In France, I'm an auteur; in Germany, a filmmaker; in Britain; a genre film director; and in the USA, a bum. ")

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Usually servo animatronics operated by remote control plus air bags under a mask to simulate muscle movement back then. Or sometimes they'd be no actor under a mask, it was a replica cast pull and it would be used as an old school puppet ... like the alien dog thing from the kennel scene in The Thing which was F/X genius Stan Winston freestyling with his arm inside it so the movement looked more organic. I can't remember who did the S/F/X for Predator but I've got a feeling that was also Stan Winston? .. I could be wrong .. I'll have a look now ..

edit: so Stan Winston did work on it but so did KNB, Screaming Mad George and a ton of others ..

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093773/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_cl_sm
Thanks I do expect they filmed it without a person in at as much as they possibly could. I don't think they had to worry about taking a cast on this one. Now I'm gonna watch it again just to admire the marvel of creation.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Love can make you happy. This Quebec couple's passion made them clumsy enough to smash through a storefront while making out.
'I can only laugh': Montreal barbers seek kissing couple who smashed their storefront

The owners of a Montreal barbershop that had its glass door broken by a couple in the throes of passion want to find the pair to make sure they weren’t injured and to offer to treat them to a night in a hotel.

Mike Rose and Dave Lechasseur, co-owners of the Savvy Barbershop located in Montreal’s La Petite-Patrie neighbourhood, would like to identify the couple who smashed through the shop’s glass door as they were making out early on Monday morning. ...

The shop’s owners said they’re even willing to pay for a night’s stay in a hotel for the couple if they come forward and identify themselves. ...
FULL STORY (With Video): https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/i-can...couple-who-smashed-their-storefront-1.5520635