Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Just seen the new advert for John Lewis home insurance, WTF is that about!?

That child would go far in my house.

6cUnK.jpg.gif

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Out in 6 months.

l like the way you think, but l’m going to go out on a limb and bet that she’ll never see the inside of HMP Holloway Bronzefield. (I am behind the times, aren’t l?)

I reckon she’ll allege coercive control, with profuse use of the word “snapped”, and not do a single day’s porridge.

maximus otter

PS: Bam! l have honestly just looked at the article in the Groan, and there it is: “Jackson claimed her husband was “abusive, coercive and controlling.”

:evillaugh:

m.o.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Just seen the new advert for John Lewis home insurance, WTF is that about!?

It's about how exasperated parents see their children blundering around breaking things and making a mess. Because it happens all the time it looks deliberate when it's actually accidental, and perfectly natural.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
There is a very long backstory.
Of that I'm sure. Some old blokes (and some women) are thoroughly obnoxious, beyond reason. I get regaled with tales of elderly women who are glad their husbands have snuffed it. One in particular said that her hubby even in his 90's would beat her with a walking stick, pee in the sink when people called round to see them to embarrass her, continually bawl at her over nothing and similar. Not difficult to imagine how someone could be pushed over the line.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
1. Its always women and you know very well they're supposed to be women -- and - ta-da -
2. In English Blonde is the feminine. We have very few gender specific adjectives. That's one of them. Blond is masculine. And used as a noun it is always refers to females.
We also have lots of 'Essex girls' jokes as well. In fact there's even a very popular Tv series that utilises the stereotype.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
At one time in England this joke would have been made about three 'Paddies'/Irishmen. Americans used to joke about stupid 'Polacks'.

These days it's not acceptable to mock ethnic minorities so stereotypically stupid women are picked on instead.

Ginger-haired men also cop it of course, not for stupidity but possibly because they stand out.

The waggish DJ Chris Moyles once tried to start an 'All Emmas Are Evil' bullying campaign. Prick.

It's all about insecurity.
I think most countries/areas have these things. There's 'Florida Man' in the States for eg.

Mr. Banooka

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
What about Australia? Isn't it an island, a continent and a country?
Reminds me of an old joke…

The Australian Premier is talking to the Queen about leaving the commonwealth and what Australia should be classed as after the break.

First the Premier says “maybe we should be a Kingdom”, “But you’re not a king” says the Queen. “Well maybe we should be a Principality” is his next suggestion. “But you’re not a Prince” replies the Queen, “maybe you should just stick to calling it a country“?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Of that I'm sure. Some old blokes (and some women) are thoroughly obnoxious, beyond reason. I get regaled with tales of elderly women who are glad their husbands have snuffed it. One in particular said that her hubby even in his 90's would beat her with a walking stick, pee in the sink when people called round to see them to embarrass her, continually bawl at her over nothing and similar. Not difficult to imagine how someone could be pushed over the line.
An episode of Inspector Frost, No Other Love, starts with an elderly woman calmly stabbing her husband.
The other murder in the episode is more complicated and gory but the events leading up to the older man's death are long drawn-out and quietly horrific.

I love that show and that was one of the best episodes. :cool:

(When I did a search for the title of the episode the news story we're discussing came up.)

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
- Of which we will hear one side loud and clear.

maximus otter
Yep face value is a dangerous thing. I mentioned in a previous post about our neighbour 50 years ago. She a tiny little thing. Him a huge bloke who she regularly accused of beating her up, pushing her down the stairs etc. She had the cuts and bruise to prove it and it went on for years. Eventually in court she admitted that she had made it all up, everything. Turned out that he was the one being abused. Even as a yoof I found this shocking. There are of course very genuine crimes of this nature.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I think most countries/areas have these things. There's 'Florida Man' in the States for eg.
Yup, many years ago I read about how some Americans would call Polish people 'Polacks' and assume they were stupid.

A journalist investigated this offensive trope and found that Polish people believed all their stupid compatriots came from the same area of Poland.

In a particular district in that area lived famously stupid people, the stupidest of all residing in a remote village. The journalist travelled there and asked where the stupid people were. He was directed to a street up the hill.

When he reached the street he asked where the stupid people lived. A passer-by pointed out a house.
Our journalist knocked on the door and it was opened by a woman who listened politely to his question and replied 'Oh, you'll be after Jakub then!'

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Every country and/or group of people has a target for their humour, because that's how things are.
For years (possibly still) here in England, the common target for jokes about people being stupid were 'Irishmen'.
If you go to Ireland they do not make jokes about the English being stupid, no, they make jokes about a 'Kerryman' being stupid.
In Brazil the target of their humour are the Portuguese.
(Am I right in thinking that in the US the 'targets' would be 'hillbillies' and 'rednecks'?)

I find that if a joke is funny then it is funny and translatable to each country/area, switching out the 'target' for another local variant.
If in doubt, when making a joke about someone being stupid, I find it easiest to not mention their nationality, hair colour, age, or whatever and instead just opt for something like "So, this idiot went to the shop, and..."

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
It's about how exasperated parents see their children blundering around breaking things and making a mess. Because it happens all the time it looks deliberate when it's actually accidental, and perfectly natural.

oops! sorry, that went straight by me. Relieved to be able to retain my position on corporal punishment! :bpals:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Every country and/or group of people has a target for their humour, because that's how things are.
For years (possibly still) here in England, the common target for jokes about people being stupid were 'Irishmen'.
If you go to Ireland they do not make jokes about the English being stupid, no, they make jokes about a 'Kerryman' being stupid.
In Brazil the target of their humour are the Portuguese.
(Am I right in thinking that in the US the 'targets' would be 'hillbillies' and 'rednecks'?)

I find that if a joke is funny then it is funny and translatable to each country/area, switching out the 'target' for another local variant.
If in doubt, when making a joke about someone being stupid, I find it easiest to not mention their nationality, hair colour, age, or whatever and instead just opt for something like "So, this idiot went to the shop, and..."

I had decided not to bother, but as the topic has come up again...

'A blonde girl' is not supposed to represent all girls with blonde hair, let alone all women; it's a trope/stock character more like 'a jock' (U.S.) or 'a toff' (U.K.): shorthand for a constellation of mental and physical traits often found in close proximity. Just as 'An RAF Pilot' has his moustache, a childhood nickame, a lexicon of impenetrable slang and a frustrating refusal to take things seriously, so 'A Blonde' has her impractical heels, pneumatic chest, blank stare and singsong working-class accent: it's seaside postcard fare.

The jokes 'work' (in the sense of being intelligible even if unappreciated) because everybody has either met someone who loosely conforms to the template (slow on the uptake, easy virtue), or has seen them portrayed on the big or small screen.

I don't think we're swimming in the sea of realia here; it's simply playing with cartoon characters and fairly harmless.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I had decided not to bother, but as the topic has come up again...

'A blonde girl' is not supposed to represent all girls with blonde hair, let alone all women; it's a trope/stock character more like 'a jock' (U.S.) or 'a toff' (U.K.): shorthand for a constellation of mental and physical traits often found in close proximity. Just as 'An RAF Pilot' has his moustache, a childhood nickame, a lexicon of impenetrable slang and a frustrating refusal to take things seriously, so 'A Blonde' has her impractical heels, pneumatic chest, blank stare and singsong working-class accent: it's seaside postcard fare.

The jokes 'work' (in the sense of being intelligible even if unappreciated) because everybody has either met someone who loosely conforms to the template (slow on the uptake, easy virtue), or has seen them portrayed on the big or small screen.

I don't think we're swimming in the sea of realia here; it's simply playing with cartoon characters and fairly harmless.
There is a very common phrase in use in the UK, not sure about elsewhere, of 'having a blonde moment', it's even in the OED

Screenshot_20211013-135245_Chrome.png

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The boss's daughter at a place I used to work often said that about herself when she'd made a mistake or done something she considered stupid or daft.
After I went blonde a few years ago, when things went wrong I'd say 'I can't help it, I'm a blonde now!' :dunno: and we'd laugh.
But nobody else made jokes about it. :wink2:

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
After I went blonde a few years ago, when things went wrong I'd say 'I can't help it, I'm a blonde now!' :dunno: and we'd laugh.
But nobody else made jokes about it. :wink2:
They used to call Crewe-ites 'Chip eaters'. Having just moved there, I once asked someone why that was and they said ''because they like eating chips''.
I never found out whether they really did eat them more than anyone else. I suspect it was Stoke lot who gave them this nickname in revenge for 'Clayhead'.