Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The first verse goes:

Gold Coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in the market down in New Orleans
Skydog slaver knows he's doin' all right
Hear him whip the women just around midnight

It's not just slavery, it's sex, whipping and other enthralling subjects. Like a stream of consciousness composition based around what Jagger imagined went on.
Scarred old slaver

I used to dance to it every week back in the day.

Yes it's a song about slavery, but I hear it as a song about the horrors, exploitation and hypocrisy associated with the slave trade. It is not a song in favour of slavery.

The Rolling Stones did a lot in their time to bring black artists and music to a wider audience and I do not believe for one minute that this song was intended to glorify slavery.

If we can no longer sing about bad things, that's most of folk music and blues out of the window for a start.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Scarred old slaver

I used to dance to it every week back in the day.

Yes it's a song about slavery, but I hear it as a song about the horrors, exploitation and hypocrisy associated with the slave trade. It is not a song in favour of slavery.

The Rolling Stones did a lot in their time to bring black artists and music to a wider audience and I do not believe for one minute that this song was intended to glorify slavery.

If we can no longer sing about bad things, that's most of folk music and blues out of the window for a start.
It would bankrupt the Country and Western scene

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I used to think it was about some woman 'of colour' that he fancied.
Not a fan and never have been, so not really interested, but have read that two former girlfriends claim to have been the inspiration for it.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Ive not heard it and dont care less.

(Lets get rid of jazz and most other modern music, as my music teachers intended.)

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Several people killed and more injured in bow and arrow attack in Norway.

"Several people have been killed and others injured in Norway after a man used a bow and arrow to attack them.

Police announced an incident in the town of Kongsberg south-west of the capital Oslo at around 18:30 local time (17:30 BST).

Chief Oeyvind Aas said a suspect had been caught and seemed to have acted alone.

The suspect reportedly moved throughout the town, and authorities have cordoned off several large areas.

Media reports say the attacker opened fire at a Coop Extra supermarket on Kongsberg's west side. Residents were ordered to stay indoors.

The suspect has now been taken to a police station in the town of Drammen, police said."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58906165

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

"Several people have been killed and others injured in Norway after a man used a bow and arrow to attack them.

Police announced an incident in the town of Kongsberg south-west of the capital Oslo at around 18:30 local time (17:30 BST).

Chief Oeyvind Aas said a suspect had been caught and seemed to have acted alone.

The suspect reportedly moved throughout the town, and authorities have cordoned off several large areas.

Media reports say the attacker opened fire at a Coop Extra supermarket on Kongsberg's west side. Residents were ordered to stay indoors.

The suspect has now been taken to a police station in the town of Drammen, police said."

Can't see that being a recurve, must have been a compound.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
I used to think it was about some woman 'of colour' that he fancied.
That's what I thought. Never paid much attention to the lyrics, partly because I couldn't make most of them out anyway. I thought maybe he had met her in a market down in New Ore Leans. I knew he meant Nawlins. :)

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskAnAmerican/comments/4jcbcp
I drive an automatic and do not get that jumping forward, ive also drove one in Buffalo NY, and didn't have that problem with the car, they probably got out the car without putting it in park, or as someone said they couldn't drive the darn thing, automatics are easy peasy to drive
I think they are thinking of older hugely heavy 70's and 80's Yank Tanks. Driver lobs the auto box into park, but doesn't use the parking brake (usually on the floor as a third pedal) . The car will move forward slightly until the auto box locks. Doesn't happen usually on modern stuff.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
(Am I right in thinking that in the US the 'targets' would be 'hillbillies' and 'rednecks'?)
The best 'Florida Man' story I heard was the guy who was 'annoyed' that the utility company had parked over his drive while they worked on a telegraph pole. He came out with a gun and shot all the tyres out on their vehicles. I'll leave it with you......

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I think they are thinking of older hugely heavy 70's and 80's Yank Tanks. Driver lobs the auto box into park, but doesn't use the parking brake (usually on the floor as a third pedal) . The car will move forward slightly until the auto box locks. Doesn't happen usually on modern stuff.
That perhaps explains why it doesn't happen on our small(er) automatics (as far as I'm aware anyway). I'm don't know if it ever used to with the older ones though.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

update

Five people have been killed and two more injured in Norway after a man used a bow and arrow to attack them

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Mobile network 3 has reportedly crashed this morning, leaving customers unable to make or receive calls.

"By 8.45am around 1,500 people had logged issues, suggesting the problems may be widespread.

Three acknowledged there was an issue shortly after 7.30am

'"Please accept our apologies if you've been affected by this, our engineers are working hard to fix it," the company said in a statement."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-three-mobile-down-network-25211097

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
update

Five people have been killed and two more injured in Norway after a man used a bow and arrow to attack them

"Police said officers responding to the incident were also shot at with arrows.....Both the hospitalised victims are in intensive care. They include an off-duty police officer"

"The victims were all aged between 50 and 70, Chief Saeverud told reporters on Thursday morning.
He said they were most likely killed after the police first confronted the attacker."

Instead of pussyfooting around trying to take the terrorist alive and risking more victims, couldn't they just have shot the fucker?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Erm, Brown Sugar is about slavery, ok. Learn something new every day.

Some of those against the song have questioned the motives and conscience of a singer who was content to identify himself as an oppressor of minorities by assuming the voice of a slave owner.

Wait until they find out he took the rôle of Lucifer and claimed responsibility for tens of millions of deaths!

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
his other friends and I would explain the matter in terms of his 'being ginger' (etc)
I'm not sure if you're aware (of course you are) that there is a rhyming slang in which 'ginger' suggests you are referring to someone's sexuality.
Ginger Beer - Queer.

Let's hope that your friend wasn't also avoiding the social activities because of his supposition that you were all homophobic.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you're aware (of course you are) that there is a rhyming slang in which 'ginger' suggests you are referring to someone's sexuality.
Ginger Beer - Queer.

Let's hope that your friend wasn't also avoiding the social activities because of his supposition that you were all homophobic.

He'd be too stubborn to deviate from the norm.

Might give people a false impression of flexibility.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I have an old school friend with fiery red hair and a wonderfully stubborn nature.

I'm not saying that one is a cause of the other, but whenever the latter would come to the fore and he'd dig his heels in unreasonably, his other friends and I would explain the matter in terms of his 'being ginger' again:

Isn't X coming this evening?
No, he'd rather sit at home and be ginger.

Have you spoken to X about this?
There's no point; he's far too ginger to admit that he got it wrong.

Etc.

Spoke to him earlier today as it happens; age hath not mellowed him!
I really don't know if it affected some people, I suppose it must have, but when I was at school if you were tall you were called maybe=beanpole, a big nose= conk, wore glasses= four eyes, had spots= crater face, had stuck your penis in a hoover= Johnny the Hoover, (I think that was a play on Mafiosi names), had only one testicle= womble, were overweight= fatty... Not to mention all the eggheads, midgets, benders and skinless (for the circumsized kids)...... And that was just from the teachers.