Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Oh... that's a bit lame (I.M.O.) I know who the Wombles are, I've been singing the song to try and work out the joke/insult.

I feel cheated :yellowc:
I thought it was quite good. 'Johnny the Hoover' could have been better though, I'm sure. His name was Johnny though.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I really don't know if it affected some people, I suppose it must have, but when I was at school if you were tall you were called maybe=beanpole, a big nose= conk, wore glasses= four eyes, had spots= crater face, had stuck your penis in a hoover= Johnny the Hoover, (I think that was a play on Mafiosi names), had only one testicle= womble, were overweight= fatty... Not to mention all the eggheads, midgets, benders and skinless (for the circumsized kids)...... And that was just from the teachers.
Funny you should say that. Was thinking recently about how bullying in the form of nicknaming is bad enough between kids but it's unforgivable from a teacher.

Wavy lines...

Someone I knew, when he was aged about 13 at a boys' school, once handed in homework copied from a book. About folklore.
Fairies, in fact. ASKING for trouble.

The teacher knew immediately what he'd done and showed him up in class, calling him The Fairy Boy.
That was his nickname from then on along with every conversational variation possible; 'Ooh, here comes X HimsELF,' 'Are we going GNOME?', 'Stop gobblin' your dinner!' etc.

All this appears cruelly homophobic although the boy wasn't gay or believed to be, and I doubt anyone much knew what it all meant apart from the teacher who started it.
More likely, they were thinking of effeminate TV stereotypes like John Inman or the camp Monty Python or Dick Emery characters.

Anyway... first time I said 'Fair enough!' to this bloke when we were in our 20s he took huge offence. The pain was still there.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Scarred old slaver

I used to dance to it every week back in the day.

Yes it's a song about slavery, but I hear it as a song about the horrors, exploitation and hypocrisy associated with the slave trade. It is not a song in favour of slavery.

The Rolling Stones did a lot in their time to bring black artists and music to a wider audience and I do not believe for one minute that this song was intended to glorify slavery.

If we can no longer sing about bad things, that's most of folk music and blues out of the window for a start.
Mick sings “Skydog slaver” in the first verse, but then possibly changed it during the vocal overdubs; (Skydog was the 'Swampers' name for Duane Allman who worked at Muscle Shoals Sound).

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Some of those against the song have questioned the motives and conscience of a singer who was content to identify himself as an oppressor of minorities by assuming the voice of a slave owner.

Wait until they find out he took the rôle of Lucifer and claimed responsibility for tens of millions of deaths!
The best Stones song!

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I really don't know if it affected some people, I suppose it must have, but when I was at school if you were tall you were called maybe=beanpole, a big nose= conk, wore glasses= four eyes, had spots= crater face, had stuck your penis in a hoover= Johnny the Hoover, (I think that was a play on Mafiosi names), had only one testicle= womble, were overweight= fatty... Not to mention all the eggheads, midgets, benders and skinless (for the circumsized kids)...... And that was just from the teachers.
I dunno how I came to be called "Goat-shagger Trev"............

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Hmm. Let me see, ones I know of. Cyclops , Concorde (I had a large nose, a couple of impacts have reduced it somewhat). The usual speccy, four eyes, Patch, etc. 'Cochise the Bastard' someone chalked up in the loos. Don't know who or why that last. I'm not, incidentally, but it's the sort of thing you remember.

It's White Crow syndrome. I'm not sure there is anything can really be done about it, at least among children. As soon as you stop them using one nickname they'll come up with another.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Hmm. Let me see, ones I know of. Cyclops , Concorde (I had a large nose, a couple of impacts have reduced it somewhat). The usual speccy, four eyes, Patch, etc. 'Cochise the Bastard' someone chalked up in the loos. Don't know who or why that last. I'm not, incidentally, but it's the sort of thing you remember.

It's White Crow syndrome. I'm not sure there is anything can really be done about it, at least among children. As soon as you stop them using one nickname they'll come up with another.
Is it a boy/bloke thing? Can't remember nicknames being common at my girls' grammar school.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Is it a boy/bloke thing? Can't remember nicknames being common at my girls' grammar school.
We had very few black pupils at my school, but one girl, who was quite sturdily built and had short hair, was nicknamed 'Tyson' by the girls in her year. But I agree there didn't seem to be the 'mean girls' type of girl on girl bullying when I was at school.

Last edited:

Cochise

Reaction score
It was at my grammar school that it happened, boys only in those days. Cochise comes from my active biker days.

My son is known to the world as 'Mumbles' because he does, but it seems to be a nickname he likes.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
It was at my grammar school that it happened, boys only in those days. Cochise comes from my active biker days.

My son is known to the world as 'Mumbles' because he does, but it seems to be a nickname he likes.
Like the villain from 'Dick Tracey'

upa-the-dick-tracy-show-1961-animation-cel-of_1_00a10faf91d00c6769f366feb7542cac.jpg

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Every other pupil at my boys' grammar used to have a nickname, it seemed.

And those that didn't are still referred to by their surnames (or abbreviations of them) when we meet up even though we're in our 40s now.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
When I started my job many years ago I was being shown around by a colleague and I saw someone scuttling down a corridor and asked who he was.
"Oh, that's Eric the Wanker."
I asked why he was called that and my colleague looked at me with a blank expression on his face and said "'cos his name's Eric."

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Mick sings “Skydog slaver” in the first verse, but then possibly changed it during the vocal overdubs; (Skydog was the 'Swampers' name for Duane Allman who worked at Muscle Shoals Sound).
OK, I withdraw my objection. I had only ever heard "scarred old slaver" which makes sense from context.

I looked it up. MY only doubt was prompted by an article that said that "Mick failed to nail his vocals first time." I found this hard to believe of such a talented pitch perfect, quasi-operatic singer. <Sarcasm emoji>

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Right, I'm off for a while. If gordonrutter calls around, tell him you've not seen me will you. Cheers.
What if he's got that fiver he owes you?

I was at an all girls' school. Plenty of nicknames going around there, and also plenty of bullying. Nicknames were mostly limited to shortenings of surnames or use of surnames (we had a Jennings), or affectionate 'Mouse' etc. Nicknames weren't a part of bullying though, no Speccy or 'Conk' or similar - the bullying was entirely separate and rarely involved name calling.

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just seen the new advert for John Lewis home insurance, WTF is that about!?

It's about how exasperated parents see their children blundering around breaking things and making a mess. Because it happens all the time it looks deliberate when it's actually accidental, and perfectly natural.
As many have pointed out, this kid's parents and family are okay with him acting in a deliberately irresponsible and reckless manner. Is the commercial saying that John Lewis has no problems with paying out under those circumstances? I love the fact that when anyone in the YouTube comments brings this up, they get the same canned response: "With our Accidental Damage Home Insurance add-ons for buildings or contents, you’re covered for a range of home disasters including unintentional breakages caused by children. More detail here:..."

Anyway... does anyone else sense a homophobic/transphobic vibe in this spot? "It's not safe allowing your son to pretend he's Stevie Nicks, but lucky for you, John Lewis protects you when you make mistakes like that." Or, I suppose, an alternate read would be "better not mess up your child's life by interfering with their search for gender identity - John Lewis will take care of the physical damage to your property." In either case, it doesn't seem right - and I doubt it would hold water in a claim.

EDIT: I just saw an earlier John Lewis ad, essentially the same idea, but in this one a girl almost breaks a lot of things while performing to "Tiny Dancer". Very clever in making the viewer anticipate true accidental damage before it happens. All the more reason the current ad stinks.

Reminds me a bit of this..

View attachment 46485

:headbang:
I'm going to leave aside the healthy debate about stereotype jokes concerning hair color, ethnicity, etc. But I should point out that the real humor in this - which I assume is originally a real social media post - comes not from the blonde joke itself (which we can still criticize) but from the fact that someone responded in a manner that implies she is as impossibly stupid as the subjects of the original joke.

Last edited:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
As soon as you stop them using one nickname they'll come up with another.
Indeed.
When I was a kid there was a well known charity called "The Spastics Society" which led to kids calling people 'Spazzy'.
"The Spastics Society" got wind of this and changed their name to "Scope".
Which led to kids calling people "Scopey".

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
What if he's got that fiver he owes you?

I was at an all girls' school. Plenty of nicknames going around there, and also plenty of bullying. Nicknames were mostly limited to shortenings of surnames or use of surnames (we had a Jennings), or affectionate 'Mouse' etc. Nicknames weren't a part of bullying though, no Speccy or 'Conk' or similar - the bullying was entirely separate and rarely involved name calling.
I'm willing to forgo the fiver in this case.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
"Police said officers responding to the incident were also shot at with arrows.....Both the hospitalised victims are in intensive care. They include an off-duty police officer"

"The victims were all aged between 50 and 70, Chief Saeverud told reporters on Thursday morning.
He said they were most likely killed after the police first confronted the attacker."

Instead of pussyfooting around trying to take the terrorist alive and risking more victims, couldn't they just have shot the fucker?
Defeats me too, unless they want to get further info out of the fecker. As is often the case this character was in the sights of authorities anyway. Then of course you have the human "rights" cobblers.

Cochise

Reaction score
It does have a certain ring to it.
They were using my real name of course. But yes, it does. With a nickname like that, though, you'd have an endless selection of idiots trying to test it out.