Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Defeats me too, unless they want to get further info out of the fecker. As is often the case this character was in the sights of authorities anyway. Then of course you have the human "rights" cobblers.
The suspect is reported to have been a Muslim convert and the attack is being treated as terrorism.

"A deadly bow and arrow attack in Norway which left five people dead appears to have been an act of terror, Norway's security service (PST) said.

However a motive has not yet been determined.

The suspect, a 37-year-old Danish citizen named Espen Andersen Brathen, had converted to Islam and there were fears he had been radicalised.

He is accused of killing four women and a man on Wednesday night in the southern town of Kongsberg.

In a press release on Thursday (in Norwegian), police said Brathen was due to appear in court on Friday at 09:00 local time (07:00 GMT).

A police lawyer told public broadcaster NRK he would be assessed by psychiatrists.

Residents have been deeply shaken by the violence."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58910794

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
"fears he had been radicalised"

The "who radicalised the poor lamb" excuse does annoy me a bit.
Killing people in the name of whatever deity you decide to follow cannot detract from the fact that you have personally chosen to be a murdering piece of ordure.
No excuses.
We can all choose to be good or evil and this guy has, undeniably chosen the latter.

Last edited:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The suspect is reported to have been a Muslim convert and the attack is being treated as terrorism.

"A deadly bow and arrow attack in Norway which left five people dead appears to have been an act of terror, Norway's security service (PST) said.

However a motive has not yet been determined.

The suspect, a 37-year-old Danish citizen named Espen Andersen Brathen, had converted to Islam and there were fears he had been radicalised.

He is accused of killing four women and a man on Wednesday night in the southern town of Kongsberg.

In a press release on Thursday (in Norwegian), police said Brathen was due to appear in court on Friday at 09:00 local time (07:00 GMT).

A police lawyer told public broadcaster NRK he would be assessed by psychiatrists.

Residents have been deeply shaken by the violence."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58910794

He sounds like Barry from Four Lions.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
As many have pointed out, this kid's parents and family are okay with him acting in a deliberately irresponsible and reckless manner. Is the commercial saying that John Lewis has no problems with paying out under those circumstances? I love the fact that when anyone in the YouTube comments brings this up, they get the same canned response: "With our Accidental Damage Home Insurance add-ons for buildings or contents, you’re covered for a range of home disasters including unintentional breakages caused by children. More detail here:..."

Anyway... does anyone else sense a homophobic/transphobic vibe in this spot? "It's not safe allowing your son to pretend he's Stevie Nicks, but lucky for you, John Lewis protects you when you make mistakes like that." Or, I suppose, an alternate read would be "better not mess up your child's life by interfering with their search for gender identity - John Lewis will take care of the physical damage to your property." In either case, it doesn't seem right - and I doubt it would hold water in a claim.

EDIT: I just saw an earlier John Lewis ad, essentially the same idea, but in this one a girl almost breaks a lot of things while performing to "Tiny Dancer". Very clever in making the viewer anticipate true accidental damage before it happens. All the more reason the current ad stinks.

I'm going to leave aside the healthy debate about stereotype jokes concerning hair color, ethnicity, etc. But I should point out that the real humor in this - which I assume is originally a real social media post - comes not from the blonde joke itself (which we can still criticize) but from the fact that someone responded in a manner that implies she is as impossibly stupid as the subjects of the original joke.
I brought up four children and totally recognise the expression on the mother's face in the advert.

It's a kind of world-weary bemusement. Like, What the FLIP are they up to now? :dunno:

Young children have to express themselves. This can be a disruptive process. From a parent's point of view, they seem to be wrecking the joint on purpose and that's what comes across in the advert.

It's a joke about the exasperations of parenthood. I can't see what's so difficult to grasp.

It's not farfetched like cartoon tigers eating cereal and cars being driven through cities with no other traffic in sight. :chuckle:

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's a joke about the exasperations of parenthood. I can't see what's so difficult to grasp.
I get the joke. From that perspective it's actually very good, and very well-executed. But this isn't sketch comedy; it's a commercial for an insurance company. There is an implicit advertising claim here that if your child does act in an overtly irresponsible manner, you're covered by their policy - and that claim is false. The fact that it isn't all that farfetched is exactly why this is a problem. Outlandish claims (e.g. "the best canned soup in the Universe!") can be dismissed as "puffery"; this child's actions are very believable, so the advertiser's claims have to be accepted at face value.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
LALALALALALA I'm not listening!

I saved box tops for the tiger car in my late twenties.
I think I had that car too, was it this one?
s-l400 (1).jpg

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Can remember when that was more the case here too.
As I recall, it changed when the alternative comedians came along in the'80s. Before that people generally wouldn't tell a funny story about themselves, whereas afterwards they did.

Have to admit that I admire people who laughingly describe how they've dropped themselves in it and I hugely enjoy recounting my own disasters for humorous effect.

It's about dumping the ego. :wink2:
I reckon Jasper Carrott was probably the first comedian to tell funny stories about himself.

Always felt that Jasper was a much more modern comedian than he was ever given credit for. He certainly had much more in common with the alternative comedy scene than the dinner-jacket-and-bowtie crowd who's whole act was jokes about immigrants and mothers-in-law.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I reckon Jasper Carrott was probably the first comedian to tell funny stories about himself.

Always felt that Jasper was a much more modern comedian than he was ever given credit for. He certainly had much more in common with the alternative comedy scene than the dinner-jacket-and-bowtie crowd who's whole act was jokes about immigrants and mothers-in-law.
Billy Connolly was always good for a bit of self deprecation too.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
This is an extreme example of littering. WTF.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-58911256

Lake District mysterious abandoned tea-for-two found in woodland

A mysterious abandoned afternoon tea has been found in the middle of Lake District woodland.

Photographer Ashley Cooper said when he first found the table and chairs, about 300ft (91m) from the path, he thought it was an art installation.

But on closer inspection he thought the half-eaten food and glasses of fizz were abandoned by a celebrating couple.

Mr Cooper said the table, above the Blea Tarn, was probably left "by someone from the Instagram generation".

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Packing up the papers for return yesterday and casually reading the headlines, as I do, because it's pretty much my only exposure to the news media.

Two papers, telling us that Christmas is under threat because ...blah blah toys not being delivered, something something. Delivery delays, etc.

One paper said 'Buy NOW, get out there, panic buy, get all the toys and stuff in NOW because, come Christmas there won't be any and your little angels are bound for disappointment!!!!' (I may have paraphrased somewhat). Other paper said 'Don't worry about buying now, there's plenty of everything, we've had our Christmas stock in for months, everything's fine'.

Guess which paper the General Public are going to believe?

It's going to be the fuel thing all over again, only with dolls and Jiggly pets.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I predict that there will be a shortage of mirrors and selfie sticks at Christmas.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Tory MP stabbed multiple times

"A Conservative MP has been stabbed while attending a constituency surgery at a church in Essex.​

Police responded to reports of a stabbing at Belfairs Methodist Church in Leigh-on-Sea this afternoon. Armed police and forensics officers were seen outside the church after the stabbing.

MP Sir David Amess, 69, was stabbed at the scene with a large police presence there shortly before 1pm today.

Pictures from the scene being circulated online showed people sitting on a wall outside the church being comforted and speaking to officers."

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/tory-mp-...iple-times-at-constituency-surgery-at-church/

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
That place seems to be a hotbed of nutters attacking politicians.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
He was murdered in a Methodist church too.
I shan't speculate here, but I'm joining the dots up. :(

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
He was murdered in a Methodist church too.
I shan't speculate here, but I'm joining the dots up. :(
?
Many of the reports and obituaries are making the point that Sir David Amess was a life-long champion of animal rights and strongly opposed blood sports.

I don't know if that motivated the killer, but if we're joining dots, that would seem to have more relevance than the venue being a church.

Whatever the motive was, the bottom line and desperately sad news is that a decent family man simply doing his job has been brutally murdered.

R.I.P David Amess.

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I do hope this isn't a case of increasing numbers of homicidal nut jobs motivated by politics. I was hoping there was still an English speaking country I could move to if the US started to lose it's collective mind.

Ogdred Weary

The Lich
Reaction score
Regarding the "blondes" thing of a few pages back, I quite liked the joke but wasn't especially keen on the "blondes" reference.

I'm neither old nor young but it does strike me as the dated reference of a certain generation or two (which might include mine to some extent) that hasn't died out but is on the way. I suppose "blonde" = "bimbo" essentially, a young or youngish woman who is attractive but dim. It's not pleasant but humour often isn't. They are the sorts of comments made about young women I can imagine being made by bitter older men, I'm moving towards "older man" as I am.

The joke requires three designated idiots, in this case "blondes", as Scargy said, decades ago it would have been "three Paddies", jokes about the Irish being thick, or possibly people being thick but "idiot/thick person/person" where replaced with "Irishman" or "Paddy" were common at my primary school. A few were Paddy and Murphy jokes:

"Paddy and Murphy were sat on the floor, Paddy fell off."
"Paddy and Murphy threw stones a the sky, Paddy missed."

these are more surreal and suggest the designated fall guy is ultra-stupid or incompetent. A little like Father Dougal, or Homer Simpson or perhaps more accurately, Peter Griffin. They were so common as a kid in the 80s, I recall asking my dad if Irish people really were stupid, I'd have been very young, 7 or 8. He of course said, no and that there were stupid people of all nationalities or something similar. I dare say plenty of other dads would have simply said "yes" and the child might have believed that. It was only decades later I realised these jokes were partially down to fear of the IRA and concomitant prejudice. They seemed less common in the 90s but I might be wrong there.

It's also down to simple prejudice and people wanting scape goats or at least someone to feel superior to. "Blondes" is nasty but maybe less dangerous than picking whole nationalities or races. It could easily have been three "niggers/pakis/spics/chinkies etc" in a similar joke, plenty of people would make such a joke, they would just be selective about who they said it to. "Paddy/Taffy/Jock/Frog/Kraut" are more acceptable but still many would avoid.

It goes beyond that I dare say people from Yorkshire and Lancashire have jokes about one another, where the other side is stupid or morally retrograde, within Yorkshire it will vary be region, the four sub-regions or more complex again, some cities like Leeds and Sheffield might have a rivalry and it might be two different sides of the same town or two/three/several rival villages with these attitudes.

It's human nature to "otherise" some different person or group, however big or small and use them an object of derision to fend off one's own insecurities. Tribalism seems to be in our DNA. People attack these jokes, usually rightly so but I feel they are more symptoms than causes.

Sorry for the extended mindfart, I am off the throw stones at the sky, hopefully I shall hit it.