Things That Make You Go... WTF?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
WTF gives with those weird websites containing seemingly random words or strings of short, unconnected phrases?

words.JPG

As you can see, I was Googling for information over the last year on the British Halley Antarctic base and one of the hits was the gibberish above.

I can only assume that it's some sort of revenue-earning clickbait (I didn't risk opening the page), but wondered if any of you clever guys know anything more about such websites.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
What's that about a metal hat download? Sounds interesting.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
This just came up on a local Facebook page.
Someone is offering (free) the following; two pairs of kids' knackered trousers that belong in the bin.

Age 6 trousers. From Next and a frugi.
The khaki ones are missing their button.
The dinosaur ones have a big rip in the knee.
So both need repairing.

Age 6 trouser.jpeg

If these were my children's clothes and the next kid down or one of their cousins could wear them I'd repair them and they'd do another round of usefulness.
In fact I'd probably chop them into shorts and use the fabric I cut off to make smart little matching rucksacks.
But I wouldn't try to palm them off on strangers in that state. :chuckle:

Last edited:

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Follow up to this:

Perpetrator caught, onlookers won’t be charged

The guy is an illegal immigrant with a string of previous.

Passengers of the Philadelphia train who witnessed a homeless man rape a stranger, some filming on their cellphones, will not face charges for failing to intervene, prosecutors said Wednesday.

Fiston Ngoy was 35, was charged with rape and related offenses following the attack that sparked global outrage.

As many as 10 bystanders on the train did nothing during the assault, except pull out their phones to film the attack. Police do not believe a single witness dialed 911.

District Attorney Jack Stollsteimer said prosecutors would rather witnesses come forward with information, rather than stay silent in fear of repercussions.

‘Pennsylvania law does not allow for the prosecution of a passenger who may have witnessed a crime,’ he said.

Ngoy and the victim both got on the train at the same stop on Wednesday night in North Philadelphia and harassed her for more than 40 minutes. That harassment turned to groping and eventually rape.

While there were witnesses on the train, the only 911 call was made by an off-duty transportation authority employee. Within three minutes of that call officers arrived and pulled the man off the woman.

Police have not disclosed how many witnesses to the assault there were. The train made 27 stops on the route during the time of the assault.

It speaks to where we are in society and who would allow something like that to take place. So it’s troubling.’

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I went to the hospital today to get my high dose flu shot for senior citizens and to my amazement the hospital had nursing students giving out flu and covid shots.

These nursing students looked so young I thought they were still in kindergarten.

So, the nursing teacher pushes one nursing student out of the group and told her to give me my flu shot.

I said to the young girl have you ever given a shot before and she said no, and I thought “ oh crap “.

The girl standing there with shot in hand, and I said you got to start somewhere so fire away.

To my surprise she gave me a great vaccination. !

The students were using pre filled syringes from the manufacturer, so I hope I got flu instead of covid.

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I went to the hospital today to get my high dose flu shot for senior citizens and to my amazement the hospital had nursing students giving out flu and covid shots.

These nursing students looked so young I thought they were still in kindergarten.

So, the nursing teacher pushes one nursing student out of the group and told her to give me my flu shot.

I said to the young girl have you ever given a shot before and she said no, and I thought “ oh crap “.

The girl standing there with shot in hand, and I said you got to start somewhere so fire away.

The students were using pre filled syringes from the manufacturer, so I hope I got flu instead of covid.
I swear my covid shot came from a kid in reserve uniform, maybe college ROTC.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

They would have been stabbing oranges for hours before giving you your dose. It's an Intramuscular deltoid jab, not brain surgery :chuckle:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Follow up to this:

Perpetrator caught, onlookers won’t be charged

The guy is an illegal immigrant with a string of previous.

This is beyond appalling, similar things have happened before: witnesses not intervening, what makes this all the more repugnant is that some of them filmed it with their fucking phones.

Human extinction cannot happen soon enough.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This just came up on a local Facebook page.
Someone is offering (free) the following; two pairs of kids' knackered trousers that belong in the bin.

View attachment 46979

If these were my children's clothes and the next kid down or one of their cousins could wear them I'd repair them and they'd do another round of usefulness.
In fact I'd probably chop them into shorts and use the fabric I cut off to make smart little matching rucksacks.
But I wouldn't try to palm them off on strangers in that state. :chuckle:
They should bring back homemade cut-off denim shorts. When the knees went, that's what you did. The Israelis kept it going for a bit longer than us, but it's probably disappeared there as well now.

Attachments

• zohan.jpg
    zohan.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 5

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I'd chop them into bits and chuck them on a fire.
Well yup, they are not fit to offer to strangers. But someone who can sew could make them into something lovely.

Recently a toy cradle was offered with a mention of upcycling. I asked for it as I sometimes 'do' those painted up with a matching cosy bedding set for Dolly or Teddy.

Oops, seemed it had already been upcycled with a poor paint job and some tacky stickers. I don't think I'll be getting that one. :chuckle:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I rejoice in adapting and customising clothes.
Couple of years ago I was given two pairs of fleecy joggers. I immediately cut the blue ones down to my favourite just-below-the-knee-length and Techy claimed the grey ones which he made me cut jauntily short for him, ooer.
All neatly hemmed of course. Fit to be seen in.

Today it's chilly and I'm wearing the ones I did for myself. My calves are cold and I'm wondering why I did such a stupid thing to those cosy pants. :chuckle:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
HGV pushes VW sideways on M1

Hard to believe the driver wasn’t aware of something happening. Seems the car pulled in too soon after overtaking. No harm done though as he soon stops. Short video.

View attachment 47028
A similar pants-messingly fraught incident occurred on the M6 in 2010. The truck driver couldn't see the car, a Clio.
I had one of those at the time! The truck's depot was in the next town along from us.

Also on the M5 two years later, this time a Micra -

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I think the problem is not so much the lorry drivers as the car drivers, who may cut in front with insufficient room for the lorry driver to stop or see them. Whenever I overtake a lorry, I always like to leave a lot of room behind in case I have to slam on the brakes.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
I was going to say this was a modern version of the Kitty Genovese incident, where a crowd of people in New York watched a woman get stabbed to death without intervening, but was surprised to find out, thanks to the gift of Google, that that isn't believed to have actually happened.

What an appalling response to such an evil crime though. Sometimes I think the end of the world can't come quick enough.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
The students were using pre filled syringes from the manufacturer, so I hope I got flu instead of covid
Lets hope they hadn't accidentally been sent pre-filled syringes from Brake Brothers or they might have been injecting you with custard.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Came up behind one on my bike near the Tickled Trout M6 and noticed
sparks coming back under the truck, so got up the side of the cab to
let him know only to find he was pushing a settee up the M way at
60 mph, never did figure that one out.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Came up behind one on my bike near the Tickled Trout M6 and noticed
sparks coming back under the truck, so got up the side of the cab to
let him know only to find he was pushing a settee up the M way at
60 mph, never did figure that one out.
Edd China has a lot to answer for!

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
View attachment 47044

Take your red-hot poker and . . .

From a Biblical Crafts book on Awfullibrarybooks, of course! :nods:
Awfullibrarybooks is a wonderful site but with some material nowadays viewed as hugely culturally offensive. I think the DIY Bunyips craft book has sufficient fortean content for a mention without causing any unintentional insult.

Moolgewanke-a-Bunyip.jpgMoolgewanke-pattern.jpg