escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
These are some of the most ridiculous Jean's I've seen

$168

View attachment 47152

$29

View attachment 47153
Those would be easy to cobble up for yourself. If Escette, a keen clubber, were still living at home I'd've offered to do her some.

I love cannibalising denim into other things but these days it's often woven with Lycra to make it stretch so it doesn't sew as well.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Those would be easy to cobble up for yourself. If Escette, a keen clubber, were still living at home I'd've offered to do her some.

I love cannibalising denim into other things but these days it's often woven with Lycra to make it stretch so it doesn't sew as well.
I think I could make a pair of the top ones from a £3 charity shop pair of Jean's and a Stanley knife

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I think I could make a pair of the top ones from a £3 charity shop pair of Jean's and a Stanley knife
The lower ones require careful marking followed by the installation of metal eyelets, available from haberdashers.

Reminds me of when someone needed footwear for a Roman soldier outfit and I provided TOTALLY AUTHENTIC Legionary boots by cutting the side panels from a pair of old DMs. They looked fantastic.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
The lower ones require careful marking followed by the installation of metal eyelets, available from haberdashers.

Reminds me of when someone needed footwear for a Roman soldier outfit and I provided TOTALLY AUTHENTIC Legionary boots by cutting the side panels from a pair of old DMs. They looked fantastic.
I bet the lower 'jeans' are I bitch to put on

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I bet the lower 'jeans' are I bitch to put on

On your own, for sure.
It'd be like one of those old comedy clips where a maid uses a winding machine to tighten her mistress's corset! :chuckle:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Books are a snap-shot in time and it does strike me as a bit shabby to ridicule them from a viewpoint of 21st century sensitivities or because they are not updatable like websites.
Indeed.
The people that do are probably the same sort of people that, years ago, would have been annoyed that their A to Z road atlas that they bought 3 years previously does not show the roads of a new housing estate built within the last 18 months.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Is there a quick release rip-cord I could pull to get them off her?

Ball-ended tripe knife (not, oddly, a Yorkshire insult):

tripe-knifeintesting-knife-curved-X.jpg
maximus otter

Last edited by a moderator:

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
HGV pushes VW sideways on M1

Hard to believe the driver wasn’t aware of something happening. Seems the car pulled in too soon after overtaking. No harm done though as he soon stops. Short video.

View attachment 47028
Below his sight line. I used to love truck drivers in my serious biker days (when I used to ride in all weathers). A lot of them will let you drop into the air pocket behind the truck if its peeing down, and they'll flash the brakes if they can see a need to slow down coming. (Laden trucks stop quicker than bikes).

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Most trucks can stop in a surprisingly short distance under braking. It's when they hit something without braking that they carry on going, due to the impetus and kinetic energy of the weight.
Especially short distances are achieved with multiple tyred combinations.

Watching the 2nd clip here you're thinking "This is going to be nasty...."

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Most trucks can stop in a surprisingly short distance under braking. It's when they hit something without braking that they carry on going, due to the impetus and kinetic energy of the weight.
Especially short distances are achieved with multiple tyred combinations.

Watching the 2nd clip here you're thinking "This is going to be nasty...."

All 18 wheels braking at once slows a lorry down pretty fast

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This Florida fisherman struggled to reel in what he hoped was a heavy fish, but it turned out to be an almost certainly deliberately sunken handgun.
Fisherman finds weighted down gun in Fort De Soto

Christopher Sacco was fighting a large fish. Or so he thought. He’d already lost it once and he wasn’t going to lose it again. When he finally reeled in the line, he realized he had the catch of the day.

But it wasn’t a fish. Instead, it was an abandoned gun.

Sacco, 35, was fishing off the shore of Fort De Soto Park before noon Saturday when he reeled in a Publix plastic bag. Inside the bag was a black revolver, with a rock secured to it by red and white twine. ...

Sacco called the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office to report the gun. The Sheriff’s Office confirmed deputies responded to a call at Fort De Soto at 11:46 a.m. Saturday.

Officers took possession of the gun and placed it in property and evidence, a spokesperson for the Sheriff’s Office said. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.tampabay.com/news/pinellas/2021/10/24/fisherman-finds-weighed-down-gun-in-fort-desoto/

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're lost on a mountain at night and presumably known to be overdue, answer your damned phone ...
Hiker Lost for 24 Hours Ignored Rescuer Phone Calls Because 'Didn't Recognize the Number'

A hiker who was missing for more than 24 hours on Colorado's highest mountain ignored repeated phone calls from a search and rescue team because they came from an unknown number, it has been revealed. ...

As first reported by The Sacramento Bee, Lake County Search and Rescue found their efforts to locate a hiker lost on Mount Elbert on Monday, October 18, significantly hindered after the individual failed to respond to multiple calls. ...

According to a statement posted to Facebook by Lake County Search and Rescue, the hiker had set off at 9 a.m. but had not returned by 8 p.m. that evening. ...

After several attempts to contact him by phone, five Lake County Search and Rescue team members were deployed at around 10 p.m. to search "high probability areas" around Mount Elbert.

They failed to locate the hiker and returned back to their base at around 3 a.m. the next day, with a second search team made up of three search and rescue members picking up the search at 7 a.m.

At around 9:30 a.m. it was reported that the man "had returned to their place of lodging."

The hiker told the authorities they had lost the trail around nightfall and had spent the subsequent hours searching for it before finally reaching their car.

They had no idea a search and rescue operation had been launched to try and locate them.

"One notable take-away is that the subject ignored repeated phone calls from us because they didn't recognize the number," Lake County Search and Rescue said.

"If you're overdue according to your itinerary, and you start getting repeated calls from an unknown number, please answer the phone; it may be a search and rescue team trying to confirm you're safe!" ...
FULL STORY: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...ecause-didn-t-recognize-the-number/ar-AAPVu5h

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Only Florida Man would “weigh down” steel (8g/cm³) with rock (3g/cm³).

:rolleyes:

maximus otter
Journalist and novelist Carl Hiaasen uses a lot of real life Florida cases in his books. Like 'Razor Girl' for eg; This is a reference to Megan Barnes, who crashed her car on the Florida Overseas Highway on March 2, 2010, while taking her hands off the wheel to shave her bikini zone; Barnes claimed she was on the way to meet her boyfriend in Key West. Barnes was accompanied by a passenger, her ex-husband, whom she instructed to take the wheel while she shaved.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Journalist and novelist Carl Hiaasen uses a lot of real life Florida cases in his books. Like 'Razor Girl' for eg; This is a reference to Megan Barnes, who crashed her car on the Florida Overseas Highway on March 2, 2010, while taking her hands off the wheel to shave her bikini zone; Barnes claimed she was on the way to meet her boyfriend in Key West. Barnes was accompanied by a passenger, her ex-husband, whom she instructed to take the wheel while she shaved.

giphy.gif

maximus otter