• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Things You Probably Should Have Considered, But Didn't

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell with yesterday's knickers
Does this have a name?

It's those things that happen that weren't inevitable, in fact they may even have been slightly unlikely, but were still foreseeable by someone in the right frame of mind.

For example, this happened to me only the other day. I was out running with my dog down our local country lane (a narrow, single track road). We pulled into a gateway to let a combine come past us - it moved slowly up the lane in front of us. It was huge, very wide, more than took up the entire lane and was well into the verge on either side.

Dog and I start running again, about ten yards behind the slowly moving combine. Dog starts squealing and yelping. I look down and she's a mass of wasps. I, too, am covered and being stung. We dashed on and managed to run out of the swarm of very annoyed wasps within about thirty yards.

Now, I've lived in the countryside all my life. I've encountered wasps nests all my life. I knew that the combine was stirring up the hedges. Should I have considered this to be a possibility when I set out to run behind it?

It's a bit like the thing where you take a milk bottle out of the fridge, open it and then swig down half the contents in one gulp before you realise that the milk is 'off'. (Although the likelihood and possibility of this probably varies from household to household).

Does it have a word? I'm considering 'Minchinhampton' - although I believe this is already taken...

One word: contraception.

Dealing with that thing that happens that isn't inevitable, in fact it may even be slightly unlikely, but is still foreseeable by someone in the right frame of mind.

Not being flippant here. I love birth control.

I am thinking the old girl guide saying 'be prepared' might be suitable but otherwise I think it might have to be filed under the S.H. category (shit happens!)

I hope your stung bits are recovering :)

This may even be *gasp* a gender thing.

Can remember saying, many times, to various men - 'Didn't you even THINK that might happen?' after some avoidable disaster.

Not saying I'm perfect - who else do y'all know who's set fire to both their own hands at once? - but a little forethought goes a long way.

I think I may go for the phrase 'Not totally unlikely shit happens'...

You learn by experience. I never swig milk or anything else from glass bottles because I've seen that the top rim can be chipped or there can be a chunk of glass lurking in the bottom.

I've tried telling other people about it and been laughed at because it's so unlikely. Yeah, it was unlikely when it nearly happened to me!

Hey @catseye -

HARD MAN KEMP NUTS 100 WASPS, GETS STUNG

'It was not a fair fight' says TV tough guy.

Ross Kemp wasp attack: Actor posts video of swollen face

Ross Kemp has posted video of his swollen face after being stung several times by wasps.
The former EastEnders star said he was attacked by the insects after disturbing a nest in a loft space on Monday.

(OK, I made up the top bit.)

You learn by experience. I never swig milk or anything else from glass bottles because I've seen that the top rim can be chipped or there can be a chunk of glass lurking in the bottom.

I've tried telling other people about it and been laughed at because it's so unlikely. Yeah, it was unlikely when it nearly happened to me!

My other half, after spending the first 30 years in south Asia, will never drink from a glass bottle or can but always pours it into a glass or cup. He'll drink from a plastic bottle if it has a sports cap with that mini plastic cover on it sometimes.

He saw how bottles and cans were stored in shops & bars over there, then over here as well - with rodents, insects and other undesirable things crawling over them. I believe Weil's disease has been linked to drinking directly from glass bottles.

My other half, after spending the first 30 years in south Asia, will never drink from a glass bottle or can but always pours it into a glass or cup. He'll drink from a plastic bottle if it has a sports cap with that mini plastic cover on it sometimes.

He saw how bottles and cans were stored in shops & bars over there, then over here as well - with rodents, insects and other undesirable things crawling over them. I believe Weil's disease has been linked to drinking directly from glass bottles.
I've moved in the other direction, and I find drinking straight from the bottle or can a very hard habit to break.

Yup, that's another good reason, yer basic hygiene. I wonder how the virus situation will affect that?

Thinking back, that's another reason. Something I read decades ago about food and drinks being stored in rat-infested cellars and warehouses.

Can remember saying, many times, to various men - 'Didn't you even THINK that might happen?' after some avoidable disaster.
Most definitely a gender thing. I gave up long ago saying to females "Really? You didn't see this coming? " Simply roll my eyes in despair now and go and pick up the pieces.:D.
Seriously though, I do despair of people when they display no perception whatsoever of potential consequences of what they do.

Does this have a name?

It's those things that happen that weren't inevitable, in fact they may even have been slightly unlikely, but were still foreseeable by someone in the right frame of mind.

For example, this happened to me only the other day. I was out running with my dog down our local country lane (a narrow, single track road). We pulled into a gateway to let a combine come past us - it moved slowly up the lane in front of us. It was huge, very wide, more than took up the entire lane and was well into the verge on either side.

Dog and I start running again, about ten yards behind the slowly moving combine. Dog starts squealing and yelping. I look down and she's a mass of wasps. I, too, am covered and being stung. We dashed on and managed to run out of the swarm of very annoyed wasps within about thirty yards.

Now, I've lived in the countryside all my life. I've encountered wasps nests all my life. I knew that the combine was stirring up the hedges. Should I have considered this to be a possibility when I set out to run behind it?

It's a bit like the thing where you take a milk bottle out of the fridge, open it and then swig down half the contents in one gulp before you realise that the milk is 'off'. (Although the likelihood and possibility of this probably varies from household to household).

Does it have a word? I'm considering 'Minchinhampton' - although I believe this is already taken...

I've also spent a lot of time around hedgerows and it wouldn't have crossed my mind to be careful with wasp nests.

I was stung four times (that I can find), all on bare skin (I was wearing running kit). No idea how many times the poor dog was stung but she seems to have fared a little better than me on account of wearing a fur coat to go running in.

It's not doing things you've been warned against that I'm wanting a name for - it's those things that 'might', with a following wind and an act of dog, turn out to be tricky, but 9/10 times it would be fine. I'd run behind that combine for three miles already before it clipped the wasps' nest, without incident. And I run behind and in front of tractors all the time (which occasionally go up onto the verge to avoid cars).

I think I'm going with Intellectual Failure. Although I don't think it was my intellect that failed, so much as my forward thinking and risk perception!

It's not doing things you've been warned against that I'm wanting a name for

*gets out thesaurus*
Farcical unawareness.
Unconscious irony selection. Although I guess all irony is unconsciously selected.

turn out to be tricky, but 9/10 times it would be fine

Deci-debacle. Deca-debacle sounds better but the meaning isn't quite right.

Most definitely a gender thing. I gave up long ago saying to females "Really? You didn't see this coming? " Simply roll my eyes in despair now and go and pick up the pieces.:D.
Seriously though, I do despair of people when they display no perception whatsoever of potential consequences of what they do.

The gender problem here may be mine, for being of marriageable age when only men were available and more to the point, for choosing the former Mr Snail. He was (probably still is, in the light of his later antics) Mr Lack of Foresight/Common Sense.

Example:
We used to make chips (fries) on the stove in a pan. As there were plenty of people to cook for we'd do batches of chips and I'd insist on switching off the cooker ring in between frying. We might be distracted and forget about it so if it was off the fat wouldn't overheat and cause a fire.

The ex thought I was being over-cautious and wasting gas so he wouldn't do this. He did of course become distracted and forget the gas was on and the pan overheated and caused a fire. Twice.

We had the Fire Brigade over both times and they tried to lecture ME about safety. I said 'He did it! Tell HIM!'
Him being a high school science teacher.

Wish I'd tipped it over his head now.

I have one! There is a small Dorset village, which kept having its sign nicked, so thay had it replaced by a lump of carved limestone. I believe the name will cover your unlikely-but-possible situations:

1024px-The_Shitterton_Sign.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shitterton

Last edited:
Confession time -

I was browsing and posting on'ere in t'banger at the tip gates.

Hadn't checked the opening hours, which have mysteriously changed, so when I arrived in good time for an 8am start I was thwarted. Sat outside like a dickhead for nearly 40 minutes.

Confession time -

I was browsing and posting on'ere in t'banger at the tip gates.

Hadn't checked the opening hours, which have mysteriously changed, so when I arrived in good time for an 8am start I was thwarted. Sat outside like a dickhead for nearly 40 minutes.
You definitely pulled a Shitterton there, Scargy!

Am now toying with various ways of using Shitterton in a sentence. I feel 'I did a Shitterton' may be open to misinterpretation. 'Pulling a Shitterton' sounds classier...

While on holiday in Greece some years ago. We saw some prickly pears. My wife tried to pick one until she cried ouch! I rolled my eyes and laughed at her.

That's a good reason not to drink directly from a can. I've noticed that with the caff at work, cans are always picking up food particles and dust.
My own main reason for pouring out a drink is to remove the gas. Drink from a can and you'll do megaburps. Pour it out to dissipate the bubbles and it isn't so bad.

Back