• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Things You Probably Should Have Considered, But Didn't

As a young teen, I managed to swipe a bottle of lager out of the house and shared it with a friend.....just as we had finished drinking our illicit booze we noticed another friend approaching. Friend number one then swiftly refills the bottle by having a crafty piss into it and then tapping the cap back onto the bottle. Upon reaching us friend number 2 was offered first swig and jumped at the opportunity.....the cap was duly removed and the greedy bugger must have chugged a fair amount before he realised that he wasn’t enjoying the delights of sweet, sweet lager but something quite different indeed! To this day I can envisage the look on his face as, eyes bulging, he spat out what he could. I guess the overwhelming urge for booze overruled the obvious warning signs of a warm bottle and the smell of urine! Kids eh?! Ah, happy days!

As a young teen, I managed to swipe a bottle of lager out of the house and shared it with a friend.....just as we had finished drinking our illicit booze we noticed another friend approaching. Friend number one then swiftly refills the bottle by having a crafty piss into it and then tapping the cap back onto the bottle. Upon reaching us friend number 2 was offered first swig and jumped at the opportunity.....the cap was duly removed and the greedy bugger must have chugged a fair amount before he realised that he wasn’t enjoying the delights of sweet, sweet lager but something quite different indeed! To this day I can envisage the look on his face as, eyes bulging, he spat out what he could. I guess the overwhelming urge for booze overruled the obvious warning signs of a warm bottle and the smell of urine! Kids eh?! Ah, happy days!

I have also seen that done, too quickly for me to stop the swigging.

We had a case of Covid at work. I was asked to 'fog' the classroom with disinfectant, (a disinfectant which the manufacturer has labelled Covid 19, which would no doubt fuel a conspiracy theory if any parents saw it.). I made full preperation, suited up with full PPE, read instructions etc and went in. Didn't cover the smoke alarm. Emptied the school...

You learn by experience. I never swig milk or anything else from glass bottles because I've seen that the top rim can be chipped or there can be a chunk of glass lurking in the bottom.

I've tried telling other people about it and been laughed at because it's so unlikely. Yeah, it was unlikely when it nearly happened to me!
That's a habit ingrained in me by my dear departed father. We used to stop in the summer on long trips and he'd buy us all (my mom, himself, and me the brat) a nice cold Coke. This was during the Pleistocene era or thereabouts, the Cokes came not in cans but in glass bottles. Every single time my dad popped the lid off the bottle, he'd check around the rims to make sure no bits of glass had fallen into our drinks. Even after decades I still worry about finding glass in my soft drinks! :dunno:

While on holiday in Greece some years ago. We saw some prickly pears. My wife tried to pick one until she cried ouch! I rolled my eyes and laughed at her.
First time I ever heard about prickly pears was from a junior school teacher who'd regale us with her travel tales.

She described how the tourist would choose a fruit and the seller would push a stick into each end and roll it back and to along the ground to break off the spikes before handing it over, possibly sliced up first.
I was enthralled. :D

(This was in the '60s when a week on a soggy campsite was the highlight of my year and foreign holidays were generally undreamed-of.
Mrs Bosworth had been all over the place, even to Egypt, and had SEEN the Pyramids.
She also taught us about the Dead Sea Scrolls which I believe she saw on exhibition. This was only 10 years or so after they were found.)

That's a habit ingrained in me by my dear departed father. We used to stop in the summer on long trips and he'd buy us all (my mom, himself, and me the brat) a nice cold Coke. This was during the Pleistocene era or thereabouts, the Cokes came not in cans but in glass bottles. Every single time my dad popped the lid off the bottle, he'd check around the rims to make sure no bits of glass had fallen into our drinks. Even after decades I still worry about finding glass in my soft drinks! :dunno:
He sounds like a proper Dad! :wink2:

I have also seen that done, too quickly for me to stop the swigging.

From Max Boyce - "Hymms and Arias"

We got to Twickers early and were jostled in the crowd;
Planted leeks and dragons, looked for toilets all around.
So many there we couldn't budge -twisted legs and pale:
I'm ashamed we used a bottle that once held bitter ale.

And we were singing hymns and arias,
'Land of my Fathers', 'Ar hyd y nos'.

Wales defeated England in a fast and open game.
We sang 'Cwm Rhondda' and 'Delilah',
Damn, they sounded both the same.
We sympathised with an Englishman
Whose team was doomed to fail
So we gave him that old bottle, that once held bitter ale!

From about 2:30

I only buy the bottles. I've never seen a problem with glass chipping from the bottles. Not saying it doesn't ever happen, but it's pretty unlikely.

You learn by experience. I never swig milk or anything else from glass bottles because I've seen that the top rim can be chipped or there can be a chunk of glass lurking in the bottom.

I've tried telling other people about it and been laughed at because it's so unlikely. Yeah, it was unlikely when it nearly happened to me!
That's why I only swig milk from plastic bottles!!!

Did your Dad know someone who'd cut their lip on a chipped bottle, or swallowed some glass? That sort of accident stays with people. o_O

I once caught the top of a glass on the tap while getting water and a chunk fell into the glass. Was chatting at the time and didn't notice so could easily have either sliced my lip on the broken edge or caught the shard in my mouth. Only spotted it at the last minute.

Could have been nasty. o_O

Did your Dad know someone who'd cut their lip on a chipped bottle, or swallowed some glass? That sort of accident stays with people. o_O

I once caught the top of a glass on the tap while getting water and a chunk fell into the glass. Was chatting at the time and didn't notice so could easily have either sliced my lip on the broken edge or caught the shard in my mouth. Only spotted it at the last minute.

Could have been nasty. o_O
Well into adult hood I have always had an wariness about cans of soft drinks, beer, anything that have been left visually unattended for a few minutes in the summer months, I put this down to seeing a schoolmate nearly swallow (And get stung on the lip) by a wasp that had landed on and climbed INTO a momentarily put-aside can of coke.

Only I spoke to this person a few years back and they were puzzled. They claimed such a thing had never happened to them, BUT... they recall one of our teachers telling us about this event happening to a student years previously. So it seems I took this warning to heart, so much so I created a false memory of seeing it happen?

Still, better be safe than sorry?

Well into adult hood I have always had an wariness about cans of soft drinks, beer, anything that have been left visually unattended for a few minutes in the summer months, I put this down to seeing a schoolmate nearly swallow (And get stung on the lip) by a wasp that had landed on and climbed INTO a momentarily put-aside can of coke.

Only I spoke to this person a few years back and they were puzzled. They claimed such a thing had never happened to them, BUT... they recall one of our teachers telling us about this event happening to a student years previously. So it seems I took this warning to heart, so much so I created a false memory of seeing it happen?

I posted about experiencing something similar in the "Things that you probably should have considered.." thread a while back here.

It recalled a story similar in reply to @CALGACUS03 :p

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-have-considered-but-didnt.67508/post-2026833

A friend of mine once went to rink from a can that had a wasp inside. He wasn't stung but the trauma of the buzzing against his mouth was traumatic!

A friend of mine once went to rink from a can that had a wasp inside. He wasn't stung but the trauma of the buzzing against his mouth was traumatic!

A wasp tried to get in my mouth when I was very little, after I'd been drinking orange juice (the sweetened cordial/squash kind). Can still remember the suppressed panic.

A wasp tried to get in my mouth when I was very little, after I'd been drinking orange juice (the sweetened cordial/squash kind). Can still remember the suppressed panic.
I had a bumble bee do a similar thing when I was 4. I got stung. I can still remember it all. It luckily it stung and died my top lip. edit: It's lifeless corpse didn't hang from my lip obviously

Did you have a face that looked like a certain dog chewing on a wasp? I know I did.

I can remember being warned (maybe at school) about the dangers of leaving cans unattended in summer but got complacent at a festival one time.

Traditionally I would crack open a cider to drink whilst transporting tent and gear from the car to the campsite. I put it down for a minute on the car roof or somewhere and on returning to it, put it to my lips for a swig. I felt some movement from within the can and then got stung on the lips 2 or 3 times. Painful but I always keep cans covered or under close scrutiny now (and wait until the tent is set up before cracking open that 1st cider )

I had a bumble bee do a similar thing when I was 4. I got stung. I can still remember it all. It luckily it stung and died my top lip. edit: It's lifeless corpse didn't hang from my lip obviously

Did you have a face that looked like a certain dog chewing on a wasp? I know I did.

It didn't sting me, so I retained my angelic countenance.

I remember someone spitting earwigs having ignored the advice to hold his beer rather than put it down under the bench...

Last edited:
Back