Thinking Of Visiting Australia?

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
I aint clicking that link, i know there be big honking spiders behind it just waiting to pounce :eek:

G

GeorgeP

and some ghastly giant centipedes too...

Im sure Rynner two will be fine if he plans a vacation there - go on, you know you want to...yawn ;)

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Thanks, I'm going for three weeks this summer :/

My pals have been sending me all the spider videos, seen one with a huge one that is under the rim of the toilet and can't be flushed away. Another where the bugger is under the handle of the car door...

On the flip side everyone I know who has been, or pals who live there, have said you just don't see the spiders everyday.

I'm dreading seeing one of them giant huntsmen ones on my first day there and then basically just wanting to go home for three weeks but being trapped there!

G

GeorgeP

Not to mention, sharks, dingos, giant snakes, millions of those little spiders. All they need now is some sort of gigantic hedgehog or something similar that flattens cars.

skinny

Antediluvian
I spotted a red deer (escaped farm specimens breeding - this was way out in the boonies) in the scrub on the side of the road on the way home Thursday night about 11pm. I slowed and tried to get a pic, but it darted off and then three kangaroos also bounded out of the location and scattered in different directions. hmm

G

GeorgeP

Here in the Uk not far from my village there is woodland and every now and again you can spot a Deer. They are beautiful proud creatures and have my respect.

Hey Skinny, whats happened to your avatar :) I hope also that my thread hasn't offended you for that wasn't its intention and I will admit that I used to be a secret Nieghbours fan :blush:

skinny

Antediluvian
Not offended. No worries. Bit of fearmongering keeps the itinerant population down.

The av is the Easter lily. Worn at Easter by Irish republicans in remembrance of the 1916 rising against British rule.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Thanks, I'm going for three weeks this summer :/

My pals have been sending me all the spider videos, seen one with a huge one that is under the rim of the toilet and can't be flushed away. Another where the bugger is under the handle of the car door...

On the flip side everyone I know who has been, or pals who live there, have said you just don't see the spiders everyday.

I'm dreading seeing one of them giant huntsmen ones on my first day there and then basically just wanting to go home for three weeks but being trapped there!

Hahaha f*ck off yes u do! It depends where you are visiting. Aussie - towns are like anywhere else. The bush has monsters and flies.

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Hahaha f*ck off yes u do! It depends where you are visiting. Aussie - towns are like anywhere else. The bush has monsters and flies.
Mainly sticking to cities. Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane I am confident being in hotels that they will have been cleared of any heinous beasties. Spending some time in the Whitsundays, up in Cairns and the Red Centre - it is this part of the trip where I am fearful :/

G

GeorgeP

Mainly sticking to cities. Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane I am confident being in hotels that they will have been cleared of any heinous beasties. Spending some time in the Whitsundays, up in Cairns and the Red Centre - it is this part of the trip where I am fearful :/
Maybe you could post the odd pic of your adventures here McAvennie - especially any pics of unwanted visitors :)

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Spiders are sneaky beasties, they lie in wait under things, if you listen closely you can hear them sniggering :eek:

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Maybe you could post the odd pic of your adventures here McAvennie - especially any pics of unwanted visitors :)
Will do, although will need a long distance lens for any spider pictures!

As terrified by the prospect as I am, I think I'd feel a little disappointed if I didn't see one huge spider (from a safe distance)!

G

GeorgeP

Will do, although will need a long distance lens for any spider pictures!

As terrified by the prospect as I am, I think I'd feel a little disappointed if I didn't see one huge spider (from a safe distance)!
if all else fails just visit a local zoo and you may be able to handle one of the more friendly ones (Your a braver man than I if you do) .

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
I can't kill them but I can't be in a room until it has been removed. My Mum used to be on constant standby with a pint glass and piece of paper, my wife's method is just to get a tissue and wrap it up and say 'There, it's gone' - usually I scold her for her direct means but over there it is kill or be killed

In fact I don't even want to dice with trying to kill one there, if it is in our hotel room it can have the room. We'll just wait outside til morning.

skinny

Antediluvian
Homely huntsman. Make a pet of that.

Sincerely, the spiders here do their work and play their role in keeping other pests like mozzies down. I won't kill them unless they're thickbodied, black and build nests as tunnels. Usually on the back rainwater tank. My littlest doesn't know not to pop them in her mouth yet. Thankfully the redbacks have kept to the shed. Those can make life difficult. Those are the ones that inhabited the outside dunny seats of yore.

Hi

Last edited:

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Oh, yes. Australian critters...

On another forum I was on, one of the Canadians was panicking after seeing a millipede. This made the Australians laugh, because, as they said, "we see worse things crawl out from behind the fridge daily" :D

I'd always wanted to visit Australia, as I'm not particularly worried about the critters, but no less a personage than Mike Rinder warned me off of it - then again, I'm not sure why I should be taking advice from a former Scientology henchman, actually :p There's lots of sunshine there and all the Australians I've ever met have been friendly, so I'm sure that more than makes up for the creepy crawlies.