Thinking Of Visiting Australia?

G

GeorgeP

Homely huntsman. Make a pet of that.

Sincerely, the spiders...
I bet camping out in the bush is interesting.

Has anyone woke up in bed choking their heads off, your then left wondering if something crawled into your mouth?

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score
When camping, I ensure a good dose of smoke and grog nightly to to vapourise anything that nears my mouth. And I always checks me boots in the morning. No worries.

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
Strangely, that one doesn't look too gruesome, I think I could just about handle it.
You'd be welcome to it! Spiders both fascinate and terrify me, and that one has me quivering. I wouldn't mind the idea of Australia except for the arachnids. In way of balance, they have plenty of endearing animals. Some of which may still be around in twenty years time. The quokka is among my favourites.:)

G

GeorgeP

Forget creepy crawlers and man eating caterpillars, theres some areas near my location in the UK that are just as daunting. Im quite sure that in one countryside location in the middle of nowhere (one shop and one pub) the locals prowl the streets at night looking for food. Man eating men!! :eek:

Ringo

Less than 2m away
Reaction score
I have posted elsewhere here at being at a place called Kings Creek Station, Kings Canyon (not too far from Uluru). I popped to the toilet block, dropped by trousers and did what a man does sitting down on the toilet. Only then did I look down to see lots of baby scorpions crawling all over the floor and now into my pants. At least I was in the right place to sh*t myslef.

We also slept out on the dessert floor in Swags. No-one bothered to check for spiders, snakes or other assorted killers. We just piled in and looked at the stars.

I remember one huge, dinner plate sized spider on the hostel wall in Noosa. It was so huge as to be almost unrealistic. Big, thick legs, thick black body. It just sat there defying anyone to come close.

And I had a one on one battle with a huntsman in a motel somewhere on the Great Ocean Road. I attacked it with a spatula and it jumped at me, landed on the stove with an alarmingly heavy thud and then disappeared behind the fridge. We slept with towels stuffed under the bedroom door that night.

Anome

Bibliomancer
Reaction score
I remember one huge, dinner plate sized spider on the hostel wall in Noosa. It was so huge as to be almost unrealistic. Big, thick legs, thick black body. It just sat there defying anyone to come close.
To be fair, that wouldn't have been too dangerous. You don't get Funnel Webs in Queensland as a general rule. It could be a bird eater, but doesn't sound quite right.

I hate spiders, and most creepy crawlies, which made growing up in Brisbane kind of horrifying. I know the things are harmless, but they scare the crap out of me. At least these days, the Asian House Geckos are on the increase and eating most of the troublesome beasties. Of course, unlike the native House Gecko, which they're displacing, they make a hell of a racket, but still less disgusting than the cane toads.

Look, we like to show off how nasty our native wildlife is, but to be honest, you're not in any real danger, especially in the cities. No-one has died from a spider bite since the 80s when we got the first anti-venoms for the Funnel Web. We pretty much have the snakes covered, too.

Sea creatures are a bit trickier, but as long as you pay attention to warnings about box jellyfish, and don't go sticking anything in any rock pools or holes in the rock, you should be fine. Sharks are not a real problem, unless your surfing near the mouth of a river after rain, or scuba diving near the cannery. If you're not going North of Brisbane, you shouldn't have any problems with crocs. The estuarine, or salt water, crocodiles usually don't come that far south, and the freshwater ones are too small to be a real problem.

The real problem, at least as far as I'm concerned, is the climate. If you're here in our Winter (your Summer) you're probably OK. The UV levels aren't too bad, and you don't generally get cyclones at that time of year. You might get a bit wet, especially in Melbourne.

Coming out here in Winter, you won't even have to worry about sitting under one of our killer Bunya Pine Trees. They don't fruit until later in the year, and then the cones can fall on you from a great height.

G

GeorgeP

I have posted elsewhere here at being at a place called Kings Creek Station, Kings Canyon (not too far from Uluru). I popped to the toilet block, dropped by trousers and did what a man does sitting down on the toilet. Only then did I look down to see lots of baby scorpions crawling all over the floor and now into my pants. At least I was in the right place to sh*t myslef.

We also slept out on the dessert floor in Swags. No-one bothered to check for spiders, snakes or other assorted killers. We just piled in and looked at the stars.

And I had a one on one battle with a huntsman in a motel somewhere on the Great Ocean Road. I attacked it with a spatula and it jumped at me, landed on the stove with an alarmingly heavy thud and then disappeared behind the fridge. We slept with towels stuffed under the bedroom door that night.
Yikes!

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry. Not enough zoom perhaps.

G

GeorgeP

Yeah, sorry. Not enough zoom perhaps.
This evening I was picking up some onion skins off of the floor in the kitchen when I spotted a small bug with wings near my foot. Now Im a bloke so the next bit doesnt do me much credit but....that little critter surprised me and made me jump :)

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just back from three and a half week trek around city, coast, tropics and desert.

Total spider count: 3
Total terrifyingly large spider count: 0

Largest I saw would have been at full stretch to cover a 5p piece and they all were your simple garden or window spider.

Despite my fear of them I'm a bit disappointed not to have seen a giant one :(

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
We did see some canny big ants out in the desert. Not too much bigger than the wood ants I've seen in the Scottish highlands though.

Did see wild kangaroos and humpback whales though so all in all pretty happy with the wildlife count :)

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
You may not have seen them, but they may well have seen you.
I would love, if it were possible, to see some kind of GPS data that showed the closest point we came to a terrifying spider, a poisonous snake and a hungry shark. They were out there... :0

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed your time in Oz. Kangaroos are in plague at the moment round the farms in our state. I see 40-80 most days I truck on over to my parents' place just 30 min away.
View attachment 805 Somebody forgot to tell you about our ants (the old Ones used this fellah to stitch wounds)...and yes, that's a bee in his pincers.
Good pic, Mungo. Got a shot somewhere just like that but with a live European wasp in its mandibles. Taken right outside our back door. We get inch ants inside the house from time to time. Gets my wife shrieking every time - "killkillkill!". Gues that makes her Buddhist in heritage only. I got bit by one camping at the Murray source. Hurt like hell. Lots of toxin in their bite. Yowch.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed your time in Oz. Kangaroos are in plague at the moment round the farms in our state. I see 40-80 most days I truck on over to my parents' place just 30 min away.

Good pic, Mungo. Got a shot somewhere just like that but with a live European wasp in its mandibles. Taken right outside our back door. We get inch ants inside the house from time to time. Gets my wife shrieking every time - "killkillkill!". Gues that makes her Buddhist in heritage only. I got bit by one camping at the Murray source. Hurt like hell. Lots of toxin in their bite. Yowch.

Must have got bit by something in NZ once. Probably a white-tail or even a katipo. Didn't notice it at first then a huge scab appeared on my left shin and then the scab fell off leaving as very noticeable scar. No hair will grow there anymore. I'll post a pic when I have a min.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score

They're a fair cow Skinny - hurt like buggery. We used to mix up some magic mushies in sugar for ant intrusions into the house - it seemed to work.

On the other hand Skinny, if you've got those little black ants in the house, they reckon you'll never get white ant infestations.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Not to mention, sharks, dingos, giant snakes, millions of those little spiders. All they need now is some sort of gigantic hedgehog or something similar that flattens cars.
It's not the wildlife you have to worry about, it's the weird (and getting weirder) PM you have to worry about! (He eats raw onions for starters!)

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
Hey Mungoman, I take it nobody stamps their feet near to a nest then :)

I prospect for gold out here George, and one day, while I was concentrating on the sounds my detector's making, the bastards got in behind my snake garters - my mates reckon it was the funniest thing they've seen in ages - they're a right, royal pack of mongrel bastards.

These fellows are called jack jumpers, and have been known to kill due to anaphylactic shock, so the important thing to do is not disrobe but to slap any area that you can feel them on as hard as possible, in the hope that you crush them, because they not only bite you, but they sting as well, which causes the anaphylaxis. Luckily they're big buggers, being over an inch long, so they're not hard to miss.

It's a bit difficult to see their nests as they don't make ant hills like the majority of them do - the problem then is that while you're making as much noise as possible to deter the snakes (Joe Blakes), it winds up these ugly buggers, no end.

Not everything will kill you here, but if you've got Roos in the top paddock, they can.

DougalLongfoot

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I bet camping out in the bush is interesting.

Has anyone woke up in bed choking their heads off, your then left wondering if something crawled into your mouth?
When I was in high school, we went on a bus tour through western Queensland then back down the coast, at night the ground in some places rippled as the cane toads jumped out of your way. In one place one of the others in my tent had gone to the toilet and left the tent flap unzipped. I was woken by a cane toad landing splat on my face. Not the most pleasant experience.

G

GeorgeP

One of our less dangerous creatures in my front yard about 4 years ago:

There beautiful but also something your best to keep well away from.

Over on this side of the pond (UK) I once had a familyof hedgehogs in my garden. Every evening out would come the mother and her curious children - it was a joy to watch. Then one night I spotted movement near my nephews pile of toys in the lounge area. The toys began falling everywhere with me thinking WTF :) Anyhows, it was one of youngsters who must have crept in a few evenings back. (The dog had be making odd noises near the toy pile for the last few days) I picked him/her up and placed her on the drive outside and off the little critter ran, in the direction of my back garden. His/her mother must have known because she was sat in the grass waiting. :)