Thinking Of Visiting Australia?

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Just got off to sleep last night and there was a loud thump and daughter called out a possum sounded like it had fallen off the roof.
Came out this morning to find one of the gutter solar lights bent at an angle, pots on the porch knocked over and the top knocked off one of the solar garden lights.
Must have been a hefty possum.
Was wondering if it was an urban fox.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Just got off to sleep last night and there was a loud thump and daughter called out a possum sounded like it had fallen off the roof.
Came out this morning to find one of the gutter solar lights bent at an angle, pots on the porch knocked over and the top knocked off one of the solar garden lights.
Must have been a hefty possum.
Was wondering if it was an urban fox.
Noisy buggers Iris - they have no consideration at all. Not one bit.

Foxes though are mating now, so it would be quite an urbane fox...cherchez la femme and all that.

Anome

Bibliomancer
Shameless birds. The koalas do that around here in January too.

We always get warnings during droughts about thirsty roos drowning the family dog in its own water bowl.

Noisy buggers Iris - they have no consideration at all. Not one bit.

Foxes though are mating now, so it would be quite an urbane fox...cherchez la femme and all that.
Would a fox get onto the gutter, though? Much more likely to be a possum. Depending on the species, they can get quite hefty.

And an urbane fox would be Basil Brush, I suppose.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Would a fox get onto the gutter, though? And an urbane fox would be Basil Brush, I suppose.

Pictures of a "suspiciously relaxed" fox sunbathing on a roof in London have become a trending moment on Twitter.

The wily vulpine crept up a fire escape onto a rooftop near Finsbury Park on Sunday before settling on a blanket to enjoy the evening sun.

Actor Tom Bell said he took the first tentative pictures of the fox through his kitchen window to avoid scaring it.

But in the end he was up close and said: "We probably could have petted it, it was so unfazed by us."

The building is an old warehouse repurposed for accommodation and the animal climbed up two
storeys to bask in the evening sunshine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44446551

maximus otter

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Whatever it was was using the gutter to get off the roof. I have seen pictures of foxes on roofs not far from us, but it may have been a big cat I suppose.
Occasionally I find pieces of possum after there has been a noise on the roof, which I have to bury.

skinny

Antediluvian
Would a fox get onto the gutter, though? Much more likely to be a possum. Depending on the species, they can get quite hefty.

And an urbane fox would be Basil Brush, I suppose
Beautiful creatures. Sophisticated creatures. They're really red and cute. Look:

Anome

Bibliomancer

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
I've heard at least one person claim they weren't just getting a "piggy-back ride" from the snake.

Personally, having grown up in Brisbane in the 70s, I'd rather they'd all drowned. But then, they're toads, so it's not terribly likely, is it?

I can accept leaches, fleas, flies, ticks and mosquitoes in the grand scheme of things Anome, but cane toads leave me scratching my head...and they'll attempt to root with anything!

Horrid little buggers.

Anome

Bibliomancer
They're an invasive species and eat anything smaller than their head, including small endangered marsupials. And nothing can eat them, because of the toxins they excrete.

Kids I knew at school would go round with golf clubs (usually with the heads removed) and play "Cane Toad Golf". They'd charge residents 50c per toad to kill them, $1 to remove the corpse afterwards. (Oddly enough, no-one usually agreed to pay them.)

Kingsize Wombat

Abominable Snowman
Police called as Australian man battled spider

Passers-by heard a man shouting death threats and a toddler screaming.
But, when police arrived at a Perth home on Wednesday morning, they found the only injuries were to a spider.
Multiple police units responded with lights and sirens after a caller walking past a home heard a man repeatedly shout: "Why don't you die?"

The husband explained to officers he had a "serious fear" of spiders and was merely trying to kill a critter that had invaded his home.

He sheepishly apologised for the inconvenience. It's not clear what kind of breed the spider was.
In 2015, a similar incident occurred on Sydney's lower north shore when police were called to a home after callers heard a man yelling "I'm going to kill you, you're dead!" followed by a woman's screams.
Police found a man, home alone, trying to kill a spider with furniture.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/wes...alian-man-battled-spider-20190103-p50pbd.html