Thinking Of Visiting Australia?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
It reminded me of Victorian artist and poet Dante Gabriel Rossetti, portrayed here, in 1871, with his beloved pet wombat, Top!

Top.jpg

From that page on the Tate site:

" . . . after the death of his wife, Elizabeth Siddal, Rossetti had moved to 16 Cheyne Walk in Chelsea. The house had a large garden that soon became a miniature zoo. Rossetti, fond of visiting the wombats at London Zoo, had two ‘pet’ wombats, buying one in 1869 . . . he wrote to his brother describing it as ‘a Joy, a Triumph, a Delight, a Madness’. This celebrated wombat he named Top.

However, Top was not long for this world, lasting only a couple of months, and dying despite a vet’s visit in November of 1869. When Top passed on, Rossetti drew a self portrait mourning the loss. He had Top stuffed and displayed him in the entrance to 16 Cheyne Walk."

Since Top died in 1869, it has been suggested that this 1871 drawing by William Bell Scott depicts Rossetti with a Canadian Woodchuck. The site appeals for "anyone who has more knowledge on either wombats or woodchucks to shed some more light on this charming beast."

Comparing it with the above photo. I am tending towards the woodchuck hypothesis . . . :)

Either way, did no one ever dare to say to the esteemed artist, "I say, Dante, your fingers stink like a wombat's bum!"
"I think you'll find it's woodchuck, old chap!" :fslap:

Keeping wombats as pets is not recommended!

Last edited:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
We might as well have Rossetti's other poem and pictures, while we are about it.

His association of wombats with love is unusual but seems deep-seated:

"Rossetti also used wombats as a tool of seduction. Falling madly in love with Jane Morris, he caricatured her in the guise of a suffering Pre-Raphaelite saint, with her husband depicted as a fuzzy wombat on a leash. Sojourning in Scotland, Rossetti wrote to her with news of his latest purchase:

"Oh how the family affections combat
"Within this heart, and each hour flings a bomb at
"My burning soul! Neither from owl nor from bat
"Can peace be gained until I clasp my wombat."

angel.gif

wombat.gif

:)

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
I am refusing to use this as a search term but...... do tell!
Wallah! https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&q=what+animal+poos+cubes

They're funny fellows Frideswide - they use their stool to mark their territory, and the cube shape is perfect for leaving on top of stumps...or boulders...or on top of tyres on abandoned vehicles, or even sturdy low lying branches.

I have this head trip of God talking with the patron saint of Wombats, Saint Ursula, saying, well, if you're going to mark your territory with your excreta, we'd better make 'em so they can't roll, or else extra sticky...any preferences?

To achieve this feat, they engage Low Low and reverse up said stump - straining all the while, with their back paws all adangle...Their personalities match their toilet habits - perverse.

Last edited:

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
Wombats are cute. Kind of. They can get mange and they can be bloody destructive. A few years ago, after some weeks of constant rain (we assumed it's burrow must have flooded), a wombat decided to move in under our house.
Being creatures stronger than they are smart, it literally bashed it's way through a bolted timber door to gain entrance to beneath the house. Once there it then proceeded to cause $14,000 damage to our central heating unit & ducting before deciding to smash itself an exit hole through some brickwork (they are just hairy battering rams). Fortunately, being native animals, our insurance paid for it.

However, on the upside, for a terribly cute wombat story, look at this blog from a Vienna based photographer who spent a couple of weeks with a family in Victoria, Australia and fell in love with Douglas the wombat (and Douglas fell in love with him). It's endearing & charming and guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

Douglas the wombat - a love story.

Last edited:

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites
A dingo that has just killed and eaten a shark watches as two snakes try in vain to strangle each other?
Only in Australia.
No disrespect to the wonderful Continent but is there any Australian Fauna or Flora or insects or anything that isn't ready to kill everything else ?

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
No disrespect to the wonderful Continent but is there any Australian Fauna or Flora or insects or anything that isn't ready to kill everything else ?
Of course not, how else would we inflict terror on the rest of the world? Put on toe out of line, and half the natural world will kill you dead....

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
Best to stay indoors when you're visiting the suburbs here otherwise you're likely to get the shit kicked out of you by the locals. They're a feisty mob.

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
You've definitely got to watch out for the Drop Bears. They'll fall from the canopies above upon unsuspecting sock and sandal wearing foreigners, quenching their lust for blood. You have to remember that this is the land where just a few months ago even the fruit (strawberries in particular) was potentially deadly.

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Best to stay indoors when you're visiting the suburbs here otherwise you're likely to get the shit kicked out of you by the locals. They're a feisty mob.
Interesting to see the use of the tail as a third leg to stand on.
The fluff that's blowing down the road... I think that may be their fur.

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
Interesting to see the use of the tail as a third leg to stand on.
The fluff that's blowing down the road... I think that may be their fur.
I think you're right, it is their fur. One thing you do not want is to get kicked by a kangaroo. They have long, sharp claws and you can see their power demonstrated in this video. They can potentially disembowel with a swift, well aimed kick.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
I think you're right, it is their fur. One thing you do not want is to get kicked by a kangaroo. They have long, sharp claws and you can see their power demonstrated in this video. They can potentially disembowel with a swift, well aimed kick.
As do most Australians...

skinny

Antediluvian
Funny how all foreigners think Australia is deadly for its fauna.
I've spent months, possibly years of my life sleeping out on the sand amongst these guys and nary a scratch to show for it. Even my kids get skittish seeing a daddy long legs on the dunny ceiling (thanks to their mother). Everything gotta live, so give way and let live. A little respect goes a long way. Safest country on earth.

Last edited:

skinny

Antediluvian
I spotted a red deer (escaped farm specimens breeding - this was way out in the boonies) in the scrub on the side of the road on the way home Thursday night about 11pm. I slowed and tried to get a pic, but it darted off and then three kangaroos also bounded out of the location and scattered in different directions. hmm
I was out rolling around the hills on NYE and stopped to watch the stars arrive when a young red deer buck comes trotting across the plateau with horns aloft. He stopped just inside a bit of scrub, so I grabbed my camera as quiet as I could. Not much success picwise, but it was fun seeing a large feral like that all by itself in native bushland. Wished I had one of Max's rifles with me - no easier shot could possibly have presented. Would have fed me and the kids for 6 months.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
beautiful. Just beautiful.

edit to add: are they actually 3-toed, or are there vestigial digits tucked away or fused somewhere?

This is the offside rear paw, and no, well spotted Frides, they have 4 tarsal/metatarsal bones.

Similar to the horse, some have atrophied. The Medial metatarsals and phalanges of macropods rear paws have become grooming claws. 1546897503464.png

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
I imagine a break in the main toe would be pretty disasterous in the wild?