Thinking Of Visiting Australia?

skinny

Antediluvian
A year ago I found a roo settled under a tree roadside, and when I approached it tried to hop away, but it had been hit by a car and couldn't move much with a broken leg. I informed the cops and they put a small led ball behind its right ear. The way of it around here. I have never knocked one over, but they've hit me running across my path and clattering into the passenger's door. Tiny brains. So sorry. So sad.

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
A couple of months ago, before we had some decent rain, there were roos everywhere trying to find feed. They were coming into gardens to eat, hopping down the main street of our town and causing chaos for traffic everywhere around here.
One night coming home, one bounded out from the trees right in front of us. My wife was driving and fortunately braked the second it hit the road. It's tail clipped our left headlight and it just kept jumping ahead down the road for 40-50 metres until it lept off into the trees again. It was lucky and so were we that evening. Now wombats, they're a whole other story.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient

GNC

King-Sized Canary
They seem to be holding the Australian Tennis Open in the middle of the night, when it's supposed to be cooler. Johanna Konta was complaining about having to be on court at 3am last week (!).

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites

skinny

Antediluvian
Yucky. Don't envy you that, MM. Had dust every year at Renmark.

Only 46degC here today. Nice dry heat. Got a slab of coldies next to my recliner here, covered in ice. Test cricky on the telly. I'm happy as a nun sandwich.

The aircon pump's died, so liquid towels and industrial fans.

Stay cool, Oz people, any way you can. Cheers, big ears.

skinny

Antediluvian
Sydney. Which beach?

I'm gunna head to Moana later after dark. Can drive my car onto the sand. I expect a crowd - only got down to 28 last night, so everyone and his dog is outside.

skinny

Antediluvian
A pub in Elizabeth North has announced they'll hand out free beer to patrons for as long as the temp stays above 45.
Fuck that. They'd be swamped by zombies already. Mad idea. I expect at least 2 deaths by sundown. Headshaker.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/thes...tiser&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial

Free beer at Elizabeth North pub Red Lion Hotel if temperature goes above 45C
Robyn Douglass, The Advertiser
January 23, 2019 4:54pm
A pub in Elizabeth North has one way to ease the discomfort of the hot weather, offering free beer if temperature goes above 45C.
The Red Lion Hotel started their “beer-o-meter” last March, but the heat of the past few weeks has really tested the concept.
Above 40C, the price at the Red Lion drops to $3. Above 42C and the beer is $1. Over 45C and it’s free.

Red Lion Hotel in Elizabeth North, which has promised free beer if the temperature goes over 45C.

Publican Stephen Firth said weather is not that only thing that is running hot.

“The phones have been going mad with people ringing to verify it’s true,” he said.

”They can’t believe we are doing it.”

On Wednesday afternoon they had run out of glasses and were serving schooners. It’s the customer’s choice of beer on tap, too — only Stella is off the menu.

“If it gets over 42C, it’s $1 a pint. That’s still a good deal. I don’t know of any other pubs that are doing $1 pints,” Mr Firth said.

Paul Barnett is served a cheap beer by Ricki-Lee Cole at his local pub, Red Lion Hotel, Elizabeth North. Picture: Bianca De Marchi
Temperature is measured by the Bureau of Meteorology reading at Edinburgh — the closest gauge to the pub.

“If it goes over 45C for 10 minutes, then it’s free beer for 10 minutes,” Mr Firth said.

Adelaide’s 80-year heat record could topple on Thursday, the Bureau of Meteorology says, as the city and its healthcare system brace for a new maximum forecast of 45C in Adelaide on Thursday, and even higher elsewhere in the state.

Ceduna has already broken its record for the highest temperature, reaching 48.4C on Wednesday.

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
Yucky. Don't envy you that, MM. Had dust every year at Renmark.

Only 46degC here today. Nice dry heat. Got a slab of coldies next to my recliner here, covered in ice. Test cricky on the telly. I'm happy as a nun sandwich.

The aircon pump's died, so liquid towels and industrial fans.

Stay cool, Oz people, any way you can. Cheers, big ears.
46? How many days over 40 have you had?

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
We had two dust storms in December. I'm in the Southern Highlands in NSW so it's quite unusual for us to get one, let alone two.
My origins are Goulburn/Marulan LL, so I understand the bafflement...I really can't get my head around dust storms over the Highlands - the only times we'd get dust was when school finished for the year and the Crookwell hoons would do circle work on the school oval.

skinny

Antediluvian
46? How many days over 40 have you had?
Just the two consecutively this week, but more than that sporadically since Christmas.
Adelaide is now officially Oz's hottest capital. Yesterday was the hottest day ever. It was a horrible hot night. I'm surprised how well I feel today after a long night punctuated by only the odd hourly nap and waking up wet from sweat. Lots and lots of cold water and sitting in the cold bath.

skinny

Antediluvian
At the other end of the climate spectrum, Australian territories feature our highest peak - an island 3000km south west of Perth called Heard Island.
"Even if you could get to Australia's most remote island, chances are you still wouldn't quite see it.
The little-known landmass, Heard Island, hides in dense cloud for around 360 days a year.
The rare few who do reach this distant wonder are more likely to hear the gurgle of molten rock bubbling up through the island's violent core.
The active volcano on Heard Island, known as Big Ben, is adorned with vast glaciers stretching to the crashing waves of the ocean far below."

Incredible pictures at this link.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01...lias-mysterious-land-of-fire-and-ice/10713860

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
My origins are Goulburn/Marulan LL, so I understand the bafflement...I really can't get my head around dust storms over the Highlands - the only times we'd get dust was when school finished for the year and the Crookwell hoons would do circle work on the school oval.
Crookwell, say no more!