• Hello everyone, we will rebooting the web server on Sunday February 17th 2019 at 1800 (6pm) GMT / 1300 (1pm) EST to apply some server updates.

We will also be applying some updates to the forums software.

This will result in approximately 30 minutes of downtime

Thinking Of Visiting Australia?

hunck

Justified & Ancient
The heatwave sounds really bad. This article is about tributaries of the large Murray-Darling river system drying up. Thousands of dead fish at Menindee.

Reports of dead animals at dried up water sources &

Meanwhile, in Western Australia, the ABC has reported that as many as 2,500 camels have been shot in the Goldfields region, as they come in from the Gibson desert to congregate around water sources on remote stations.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Sydney. Which beach?

I'm gunna head to Moana later after dark. Can drive my car onto the sand. I expect a crowd - only got down to 28 last night, so everyone and his dog is outside.
Lived at Aldinga - early seventies, and Sellicks was the go. Those stinking hot nights and days that run for 7 to 10 days Skinny, would see us down, sleeping on the beach with a few aristotles - stunned everytime by the night skies, even more on moonless nights.

skinny

Antediluvian
The heatwave sounds really bad. This article is about tributaries of the large Murray-Darling river system drying up. Thousands of dead fish at Menindee.

Yes. Distressing scenes from Santa Theresa, east of The Alice. Dozens of dead brumbies (feral horses) in a dried up waterhole. The camels I could care less for - never got along with 'em. I know that's camelist. But the horses, there's just something closer about them. Poor buggers.

skinny

Antediluvian
Lived at Aldinga - early seventies, and Sellicks was the go. Those stinking hot nights and days that run for 7 to 10 days Skinny, would see us down, sleeping on the beach with a few aristotles - stunned everytime by the night skies, even more on moonless nights.
Ever spot anything incongruous up there? I'm outside for every clear dark sky I can get these days. No weirdness yet. The beauty and meaning up there is very special. I'm getting closer to something all the time. Learning the lores.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...

What pisses me off hunck is that at the headlands of the tributaries to the Murray Darling, they're measuring flows of 1,000+ mega litres every 24 hours but by the time it passes the major cotton farms it's down to Zero.

Terrible mismanagement.

Flows as at Nov/Dec 2018...

49496044_1117197775116872_3659718676321402880_n.jpg

And a map of where the cotton is grown - notice the great reduction of flow where cotton is grown in contrast to the headlands...A heads up. The Macquarie river flows through Dubbo (My shopping town) at 2,250 mL every 24 hours...that is 495,000,000 Gallons of water flowing every 24 hours past one point in the river.

oz_map.jpg

Within 200 kilometers of travel, that flow is less than 1mL (220,000 gallons) per 24 hours. needless to say, it travels through cotton country.

The real problem is that the rivers stop flowing and pool. We then have a rain event of, maybe, 1/2" of rain which washes point and none point nutrient loads into that localised part of the river.

Temp is around 25C, No flow, suspended sediment, nutrient load and BOOM! Cyano bacteria blooms appear. Microcystis usually. Neurotoxic to any multicellular being.

A prevailing aspect of Australian Summers.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Ever spot anything incongruous up there? I'm outside for every clear dark sky I can get these days. No weirdness yet. The beauty and meaning up there is very special. I'm getting closer to something all the time. Learning the lores.
That experiencing, and that learning is an ongoing situation Isn't it Skinny...

I reckon that this life is just Kindergarten.

Shine On Mate.

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
Tempted to move to the Australian portion of Antarctic. Anything other than this heat!
My wife and I drove today from home in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales to Beechworth in Victoria. It was 39 degrees when we left at 10.30 am getting to a maximum of 43 along the way. It's a cooling 38 here at the moment at 5.48 pm. Phew.

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
The Huon's been on fire for a month so far. :(
Rain!! For fx sake. This is Tassie!
My wife and I have just been staying at Hepburn, just down the road from Daylesford in Victoria. Yesterday afternoon, a tree that had been struck by lightning some time earlier took off and started a fire on a ridge a few hundred metres across a gully from where we were staying. Next thing there were spotter planes, two dumping water as well as a chopper doing the same thing. We were told there were 50 fire fighting trucks on the ground and they had it at bay. At 8.30 this morning, we, and the town got the SMS to evacuate. 39 degree temps and strong winds were not going to be kind. We packed and left and are now in Melbourne. Here's a pic of the chopper that was dropping water on the blaze...
154915962615998.jpg

Last edited:

skinny

Antediluvian
We've got a big one going just 30ks south of my place too. 32 units on the scene. Cool change on the way directly, but we've had zero rain for 6 weeks now and record temps. They wanna get this one under control in the next 36hrs before it heats up properly again.

All that and there's a major catastrophic flood and unending torrential rain in Townsville. 20,000 evacuated 2 days ago, more today.

So you think you'd like to visit Australia? Might suggest May when the place gets back to normal.

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
We've got a big one going just 30ks south of my place too. 32 units on the scene. Cool change on the way directly, but we've had zero rain for 6 weeks now and record temps. They wanna get this one under control in the next 36hrs before it heats up properly again.

All that and there's a major catastrophic flood and unending torrential rain in Townsville. 20,000 evacuated 2 days ago, more today.

So you think you'd like to visit Australia? Might suggest May when the place gets back to normal.
You're right, wouldn't want to be in Townsville either. They reckon hurricane force winds and more rain are next on the horizon for the town. Keeps things interesting though.

skinny

Antediluvian
Yes, a cyclone is a possibility. Poor bastards.

The southerly's finally up here now. I can smell the smoke. This is potentially good. It means the fire will likely blow back over its burn path and be easier to manage. There's a special place in heaven for all the firies, no matter which country they're in. God bless 'em all.

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre

The southerly's finally up here now. I can smell the smoke. This is potentially good. It means the fire will likely blow back over its burn path and be easier to manage. There's a special place in heaven for all the firies, no matter which country they're in. God bless 'em all.
Absolutely. I have a couple of mates in the local rural fire brigade back home and it's a remarkable job that they all do. I'm not quite sure that people realise just how much risk they put themselves into everytime they go out on a call. Where we live there's quite a number of memorial fire sheds & buildings, which says something doesn't it?

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...

amen.

Strewth! I won't be visiting Townsville anytime soon.

Authorities in Townsville, Australia have warned residents to beware of crocodiles and snakes spotted in floodwaters in residential areas.

More than 1,100 people have been evacuated from the town amid a "once in a century" flood. On Sunday, the city authorities released a dam which had swollen to double its capacity following a week of record rainfall. Authorities have said more heavy rain is expected in coming days.

"Crocodiles may be seen crossing roads, and when flooding recedes, crocodiles can turn up in unusual places such as farm dams or waterholes," said Queensland's Environment Minister Leeanne Enoch.

"Similarly, snakes are very good swimmers and they too may turn up unexpectedly."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-47112044

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Only getting to 29 degrees today and quite cool at the moment.
It's overcast and a smell of smoke.
Might be drifting over from Tasmania again.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
How far apart are the flooded parts & the heatwave part? A report re the flooding said at one point they had 16 inches of rain in 24 hours. Bloody hell.

Tigerhawk

Resistance is futile!
How far apart are the flooded parts & the heatwave part? A report re the flooding said at one point they had 16 inches of rain in 24 hours. Bloody hell.
We never do anything by halves in Australia, but I think it's time we sent this up!! batsignal.jpg

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Night before last it was 91F at 22:00, here, at Peak Hill - but Townsville is nearly 2,000 K's away, North. There's an 8 year drought going on between here and there.

Bad bushfires in Tassie, 1,400 K's away, South.

It's a Big Country Hunck.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Our National Poem...for some.

My Country

The love of field and coppice
Of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins.
Strong love of grey-blue distance,
Brown streams and soft, dim skies
I know, but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

The stark white ring-barked forests,
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon,
Green tangle of the brushes
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops,
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When, sick at heart, around us
We see the cattle die
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine
She pays us back threefold.
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze ...

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand
though Earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :)
Staff member
Same Country - 500k's apart
I listen to cricket on BBC Radio - most recently the Big Bash and the Australia/Sri Lanka Test.

It has been striking, perturbing and salutory to hear the news reports with the drought and floods next to each other :(