Thinking Of Visiting Australia?

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Probably paragliding in from Auckland. :jtease:

I genuinely laughed so much, that I had to watch it twice...make that three times - The most common phrase in an Australian's lexicon - next to 'farken roos' would have to be 'wassup skip'

I'm still chuckling...

I love this country!

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Was Skippy The Bush Kangaroo made in Australia for Australians and we nicked it, or was it for export only? or maybe it has nothing to do with Australia?

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Was Skippy The Bush Kangaroo made in Australia for Australians and we nicked it, or was it for export only? or maybe it has nothing to do with Australia?
It was made for a global audience and one of our most successful t.v exports. We all grew up watching the exploits of Skippy . In fact when I was young, we all took school excursions to Waratah Park, which was actually in Terrey Hills, a northern suburb of Sydney where you could visit the ranger station, see the helicopter used in the series and meet one of the many Skippys.
The young man who played Sonny grew up to own a pub in a town I once lived in just 15 minutes down the road from where I live now and Tony Bonner who was the helicopter pilot is a good friend of one of my best friends. It's still on t.v here 50 years after production.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
I've been to the Ranger Station, too, but I doubt any of the original Skippys were still alive by then. The show is older than I am, by about a year.
Did you ever go to Smokey Dawson's ranch too? It was just down the road from Skippy's.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
It was made for a global audience and one of our most successful t.v exports. We all grew up watching the exploits of Skippy . In fact when I was young, we all took school excursions to Waratah Park, which was actually in Terrey Hills, a northern suburb of Sydney where you could visit the ranger station, see the helicopter used in the series and meet one of the many Skippys.
The young man who played Sonny grew up to own a pub in a town I once lived in just 15 minutes down the road from where I live now and Tony Bonner who was the helicopter pilot is a good friend of one of my best friends. It's still on t.v here 50 years after production.
Is Tony Bonner an immortal? See the photos here (one in 1985 and the other in 2011):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Bonner
There's no difference in his appearance! He also seems to be wearing the same clothes.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
There was a slightly later episodic series from Australia - about a boat on the coral reef?

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...

It was originally made for domestic consumption Frides, and it must've been the first programme that I remember where the Natural Australian bush was featured to the extent that it was. The wet Sclerophyl gullies and headlands of the Ku-Ring-Gai Chase have a particular smell that comes through even now if I watch an episode - and for a young nine year old lad who loved to catch sticlebacks and newts. this land was such a bounteous Gift - if I attempted to describe what it was like to have Lane Cove National Park next door to the 'Pommy Camp' where we lived, and to have instant access to it the way I did...I would need a bigger computer.

And the phrase 'tsk tsk, what's up Skip' is still very much extant even though that was made 50 years ago.

P.S., I'm still belly laughing everytime I think of that paraglider.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
It was originally made for domestic consumption Frides, and it must've been the first programme that I remember where the Natural Australian bush was featured to the extent that it was. The wet Sclerophyl gullies and headlands of the Ku-Ring-Gai Chase have a particular smell that comes through even now if I watch an episode - and for a young nine year old lad who loved to catch sticlebacks and newts. this land was such a bounteous Gift - if I attempted to describe what it was like to have Lane Cove National Park next door to the 'Pommy Camp' where we lived, and to have instant access to it the way I did...I would need a bigger computer.

And the phrase 'tsk tsk, what's up Skip' is still very much extant even though that was made 50 years ago.

P.S., I'm still belly laughing everytime I think of that paraglider.
I went to high school at Hunter's Hill high and used to go orienteering in Lane Cove River Park. It was great fun.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
I went to high school at Hunter's Hill high and used to go orienteering in Lane Cove River Park. It was great fun.

It was just so much bizarreness for me L.L. as a nine year old kid that had only experienced Stockton on Tees, where the nearest thing to wildlife was the claggy, (clay pit) down the road where people dumped their matresses - and Lustrum Beck (I loved the name - still do)

Australia had trees whose branches weren't cruciform, but had crazy wiggly branches that had a mind of their own, and which didn't regularly drop leaves but dropped bark instead - trees that had flowers!

And the biggest tadpoles that I had ever seen alongside of massive ants...LIZARDS! BIG flippin' lizards that made you think of dinosaurs.

Weird sandstone formations, and geckoes - little lizards that could walk across the ceiling and occasionally wipe its eyes with its tongue...real bloody kangaroos!! Possums - Birds that laughed - really laughed...Oh, and snakes...snakes that could kill ya stone dead and whose mate would track you down if you killed the other one....andspiderstoothatlivedinaholeinthegroundwithatrapdoor!!!!

Sharks. Sharks that were in the river. In a river so very far away from any seaside - Sharks that would eat dogs because they could smell'em.

Cold water that ran out of rocks and formed little pools that you could drink from- And all of this head trip was experienced in heat that would burn you, would make you silly...heat that could KillYa!! - Heat that melted roads...

And a kid could make a treehouse out of any old thing - and when you told the Aussie neighbour whose name was Buff next door...not Mr Bennett next door - it was affirmed, with approval, with a simple "goodoh"...

I had the most magnificent childhood that a child could ever have.

Lane Cove....

Last edited:

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
It was just so much bizarreness for me L.L. as a nine year old kid that had only experienced Stockton on Tees, where the nearest thing to wildlife was the claggy, (clay pit) down the road where people dumped their matresses - and Lustrum Beck (I loved the name - still do)

Australia had trees whose branches weren't cruciform, but had crazy wiggly branches that had a mind of their own, and which didn't regularly drop leaves but dropped bark instead - trees that had flowers!

And the biggest tadpoles that I had ever seen alongside of massive ants...LIZARDS! BIG flippin' lizards that made you think of dinosaurs.

Weird sandstone formations, and geckoes - little lizards that could walk across the ceiling and occasionally wipe its eyes with its tongue...real bloody kangaroos!! Possums - Birds that laughed - really laughed...Oh, and snakes...snakes that could kill ya stone dead and whose mate would track you down if you killed the other one....andspiderstoothatlivedinaholeinthegroundwithatrapdoor!!!!

Sharks. Sharks that were in the river. In a river so very far away from any seaside - Sharks that would eat dogs because they could smell'em.

Cold water that ran out of rocks and formed little pools that you could drink from- And all of this head trip was experienced in heat that would burn you, would make you silly...heat that could KillYa!! - Heat that melted roads...

And a kid could make a treehouse out of any old thing - and when you told the Aussie neighbour whose name was Buff next door...not Mr Bennett next door - it was affirmed, with approval, with a simple "goodoh"...

I had the most magnificent childhood that a child could ever have.

Lane Cove....
That's a wonderful description and a childhood so many of us had. I grew up in Hunters Hill/Woolwich so we played in the famous Kelly's Bush (radiation be damned) and the Parramatta & Lane Cove Rivers were my backyard... literally. I was always fascinated by the ''Beware Of Sharks'' sign by the bridge at the entrance to the river park. Some months back I was watching footage of a go pro in the Hawsksbury and was stunned by the number of smallish bull sharks it captured with people swimming nearby completely oblivious. The water that far up at Lane Cove was always pretty murky from memory so there was no way I was going in, though I do recall that you could hire paddle boats ( is my mind failing me?)

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
That's a wonderful description and a childhood so many of us had. I grew up in Hunters Hill/Woolwich so we played in the famous Kelly's Bush (radiation be damned) and the Parramatta & Lane Cove Rivers were my backyard... literally. I was always fascinated by the ''Beware Of Sharks'' sign by the bridge at the entrance to the river park. Some months back I was watching footage of a go pro in the Hawsksbury and was stunned by the number of smallish bull sharks it captured with people swimming nearby completely oblivious. The water that far up at Lane Cove was always pretty murky from memory so there was no way I was going in, though I do recall that you could hire paddle boats ( is my mind failing me?)

No L.L. - your mind is still doing a wonderful job.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
koala.jpg

Another carjacking by an errant koala:

Koala attempts to cool down by clambering into car and positioning itself by the air-con

A overheated koala delighted this motorists after attempting to cool off by clambering into their car and positioning itself the the air-con.

Footage uploaded on Reddit on Monday, showed the driver gently directing the furry animal out of the vehicle, parked by bushland in Adelaide.

But the stubborn koala lashes out at the camera with its sharp claws, narrowly missing the driver.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...n/ar-BBUWm95?ocid=spartandhp#image=AAqFAVs|17

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient