Thinking Of Visiting Australia?

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Australia bushfires north of Sydney 'too big to put out'

Source: BBC News Online
Date: 4 hours ago

A "mega blaze" raging across a 60km (37 mile) front north of the Australian city of Sydney cannot currently be put out, fire officials have warned.

The blaze across 300,000 hectares (1,150 sq m) is just an hour's drive from the nation's most-populous city.

People who cannot defend their property from approaching fires have been told they should leave immediately.

Since October, bushfires have killed six people and destroyed more than 700 homes across Australia.

The severity of the blazes so early in the fire season has caused alarm, and prompted calls for greater action to tackle climate change.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-50690633

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Apart from heatwave conditions today, there was a lot of smoke from the fires. During a meeting today, one of my co-workers said "Is it just me, or do those windows really need cleaning?" - there was a pause, and someone responded, "No, it's the smoke from the bushfires that have been burning for more than a month"...

I work with stable geniuses!

Last edited:

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Heatwave conditions... too right! This was taken this afternoon, the 'dust' on the dashboard is actually fine ash from the smoke haze. 43 degrees celsius. That's hot. Ignore the tyre pressure warning, we had a flat yesterday, had to get a new tyre ordered which will be fitted next Tuesday (in case you're wondering).
hot.jpg

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Apart from heatwave conditions today, there was a lot of smoke from the fires. During a meeting today, one of my co-workers said "Is it just me, or do those windows really need cleaning?" - there was a pause, and someone responded, "No, it's the smoke from the bushfires that have been burning for more than a month"...
The smoke alone has caused the raising of significant alerts and alarms in Sydney.
Fires in Australia Just Pushed Sydney's Air Quality 12 Times Above 'Hazardous' Levels

Australia is on fire. For several weeks, unprecedented fire conditions have torched around 2.7 million hectares in the eastern states - almost three times more than what was lost in the 2019 Amazon fires. Worryingly, the danger spreads far beyond the immediate path of the flames.

On Tuesday, giant smoke clouds produced by the rampant bushfires saw air pollution in Sydney spike to over 12 times the 'hazardous' level, as the city choked under a toxic blanket the likes of which few have ever witnessed.

"Certainly in Sydney we have experienced very poor air quality episodes in the past and the one I'm most aware of is the 2009 dust storm episode, where we had extremely high levels," NSW director of environmental health, Richard Broome, told media.

"But certainly this smoky period we've been experiencing for the past month or so, it is unprecedented, so these conditions are a risk to people's health."
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/sydney...-levels-under-toxic-blanket-of-bushfire-smoke

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
On a lighter note...

Shit Towns of Australia Facebook competition met with horror and amusement

What do Kalgoorlie, Tennant Creek, Mount Gambier, Dubbo, Mount Isa and Logan have in common?
Just bought this book!

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Heatwave conditions in South Australia, Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria, with temperatures set to reach the mid to high forties.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Hot here, hotter tomorrow, hotter still Saturday. 40% Chance of a shower on Sunday when things have cooled down a bit. Smoke haze is terrible today.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Hot here, hotter tomorrow, hotter still Saturday. 40% Chance of a shower on Sunday when things have cooled down a bit. Smoke haze is terrible today.
Rain? I'll believe that when I see it...

skinny

TITAN
Reaction score
42 here today. I'm queazy. I used to like the heat, but now... bleurgh.
41 yesterday
40 tomorrow
44 Friday
cooling off on the w/e

It was air-temp 50 in Oodnadatta today. Actually it was nationally on aggregate the hottest day on record.

skinny

TITAN
Reaction score
Beware the rogue Canadian. They will literally ..... threaten to not know how you can live with yourself. ouch

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
It's enough to break my heart.

This is a wild animal, so, so wild - and like many other times before, they've come to the man or woman wearing the bright yellow to be saved.

1577662867262.png

A firefighter watches the Cudlee Creek blaze with a koala. Dale Adams, a lieutenant at the Eden Hills Country Fire Service, took this photograph of his colleague. He told the Guardian that it was common for koalas to come out, apparently looking for firefighters, in these situations. ‘Up behind us there were a couple of houses under threat so we were working to protect them from ember attack,’ he said. ‘They stepped out of the bush seeking help.’ The koalas were given water and moved to a safer location.

Photograph: Dale Adams/Eden Hills Country Fire Service

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The whole country is an inferno at the moment. We have the Currowan fire, out of control and already having burnt 220,000 ha of bushland on our doorstep. Tomorrow will be the day of reckoning with temperatures due to hit 40 c plus, low humidity and with a late Southerly change to fan the flames and bring possible ember attacks.
We're packed and ready to evacuate. In these conditions, it's better to be safe than sorry. Time will tell.

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
I've had a lump in my throat reading this thread, seeing what's happening to such a unique and beautiful country, to such good and strong people. Please be prepared and be safe, all our members in Australia. I'm sure you're in all our thoughts, and have our best wishes.

:(

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Every morning I wake up and hear the news recently, and every morning reports of this inferno are still going on with no respite. Very sorry to learn a firefighter lost his life. It's really frightening.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
Our Firies, as they are known as, are just brilliant...they have been fighting these fires since August. In that time, 37,000 square kilometres has been burnt out - 700 homes have also been destroyed by fire, with 2,500 buildings also. There have been an unknown and incalcuable number of fauna deaths.

There have been at least 9 human deaths associated with these fires so far (touch wood and whistle).

The Firies are all volunteers.

Our Prime Minister, Mr Scott Morrison (who likes to be known as ScoMo...seriously...I shit you not...) has finally extracted the digit and will pay a maximum of $6,000 to some firies after refusing to consider the notion with the throw away line of...well, they like to volunteer.

Meanwhile...the NSW state government is going ahead with a NYE $6 million dollar fireworks extravaganza.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
The whole country is an inferno at the moment. We have the Currowan fire, out of control and already having burnt 220,000 ha of bushland on our doorstep. Tomorrow will be the day of reckoning with temperatures due to hit 40 c plus, low humidity and with a late Southerly change to fan the flames and bring possible ember attacks.
We're packed and ready to evacuate. In these conditions, it's better to be safe than sorry. Time will tell.

Good luck mate. May you and yours travel well.