Thinking Of Visiting Australia?

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Our Prime Minister, Mr Scott Morrison (who likes to be known as ScoMo...seriously...I shit you not...) has finally extracted the digit and will pay a maximum of $6,000 to some firies after refusing to consider the notion with the throw away line of...well, they like to volunteer.
He should tell that to this firefighter's child who will never know their father.
Australia: Volunteer firefighter killed by 'freakish' wind
  • 27 minutes ago
It was a "freakish weather event" that killed a volunteer firefighter on Sunday, according to the New South Wales Rural Fire Service (RFS).
Powerful winds near the New South Wales-Victoria border lifted his 10-tonne truck off the ground and flipped it over, the service said.
Samuel McPaul, 28, was a newlywed who was expecting his first child.
In total, 10 people have died in the nation's bushfire crisis since September.
Earlier in December, two volunteer firefighters died while battling a blaze near Sydney.
"To lose one of our own in such extraordinary circumstances is just tragic," said RFS Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons of the latest death.

etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-50952253

The map in the article showing the extent of the fires is terrifying.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
He should tell that to this firefighter's child who will never know their father.

The South Coast of NSW is burning in an unbelievable way. We're watching it as we wait for the southerly which will determine our days outcome. Victoria had gone to hell too. People massing on beaches as it's the only date place to be as towns and bush burns around them. It's like it's the end of the world and for some, unfortunately, it is.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
If only councils had allowed back burning and dry undergrowth clearing during the cool season it wouldn't have been so bad. So many animals lost as well.
As for those insane fools that start fires the mind boggles what should be done to them.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

Holy shit .. just looked at that map, I didn't grasp how serious this is until now. How are the airports coping at the moment? .. love and prayers to all of our Australian friends here ..

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
On the news just there, Australia are asking for international aid. This has gone beyond a crisis into... I'm not sure what to say.
I think it's been obvious for some days that this is an economic, cultural and humanitarian disaster. Best case scenario still has years of economic recovery and many people destitute. At least, that's how it looks to me in the UK. If I'm wrong I'd be extremely grateful if our aussie members could correct me.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
I fail to understand why there arent fire breaks or some way of protecting settlements.

Even something like the Japanese system of sacrificable and cheaply replaced house around a fireproof core for the valuables.

(But this is a society in which a lot of people died in fires...at least in the past)

If I lived in Australia I would make sure the was a big bare patch upwind from my place.

skinny

Ásatrúarfélagið
I think it's been obvious for some days that this is an economic, cultural and humanitarian disaster. Best case scenario still has years of economic recovery and many people destitute. At least, that's how it looks to me in the UK. If I'm wrong I'd be extremely grateful if our aussie members could correct me.
It's like being in the midst of a war. We won't be cognisant of the full brunt until it's over, which could be months yet. We're still at the front-end of our true summer.

I think our society can absorb the economic shock and provide its own material to those that need it for now, but the PTSD from this will play out for a long time. We're a tough lot and we band together against adversity. You'll see. It brings out our best and at the same time exposes the greedy minority for who they truly are. We will learn from this episode and come back stronger and wiser. Your hopes and prayers are appreciated, you guys. Love and prayers to all our members out east. Safety first, you mob.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...

I have never heard of a wind strong enough to flip an 8,000 kilo truck. Never. These fires are creating a new reality...

As for these Young Men who will never be seen again - I will quote my 13 year old Grand Niece..."It's just not fucking fair Unca Jon!!"

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Kondoru green councils were fining people trying to clear scrub from around their houses and properties.
Have no idea if it's true but on social media I read the rumour that some fires were started by climate activists so they could say global warming was to blame for the fires starting.

Anome

Bibliomancer
Kondoru green councils were fining people trying to clear scrub from around their houses and properties.
Have no idea if it's true but on social media I read the rumour that some fires were started by climate activists so they could say global warming was to blame for the fires starting.
Absolute bullshit. As are the claims that the "greenies" are responsible for preventing back burning that could have prevented the fires getting this out of hand.

The actual problem is that the part of the year where back burning can be done safely is getting shorter and shorter for some reason*, and successive governments have reduced the funding for fire prevention and fire fighting resources.

* It's pretty clear what the reason is, but some people still seem to be in denial.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Anome my eldest moved from one area in the hills because there were worsening fires each year and the council would not allow them to clear overhanging branches and bushes near the house.
They went to another more settled area up there where there isn't bush so close to their homes.
There have always been bad fire seasons in Australia 1939 comes to mind. Depends on how to mitigate the risks a bit.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
That gets a WTF! from me, if it is true. I'd call that an act of terrorism.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Yesterday afternoon day turned to night as smoked rolled in from the fires to the south of us. Most of the South Coast of New South Wales and Eastern Victoria has been devastated. Losses cannot be accounted for at this time because the smoke is still too thick for assessment crews to make sense of what has happened. Aircraft cannot get a visual from the sky due to smoke and even satellites cannot get an accurate idea as to what the damage is.
Hundreds of houses lost, businesses too. Untold property losses and there are reports of human deaths both fire fighters and civilians rolling in. The toll on wildlife, stock and pets will never be known.
And there is more to come with temperatures set to soar into the low 40s again on Saturday. After that, there's 3 days of showers forecast. Everyone is praying too whatever God's they believe in, or at least desperately hoping for some salvation from this nightmare.

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Yesterday afternoon day turned to night as smoked rolled in from the fires to the south of us. Most of the South Coast of New South Wales and Eastern Victoria has been devastated. Losses cannot be accounted for at this time because the smoke is still too thick for assessment crews to make sense of what has happened. Aircraft cannot get a visual from the sky due to smoke and even satellites cannot get an accurate idea as to what the damage is.
Hundreds of houses lost, businesses too. Untold property losses and there are reports of human deaths both fire fighters and civilians rolling in. The toll on wildlife, stock and pets will never be known.
And there is more to come with temperatures set to soar into the low 40s aggression on Saturday. After that, there's 3 days of showers forecast. Everyone is praying too whatever God's they believe in, or at least desperately hoping for some salvation from this nightmare.
Seriously .. God be with you all on this bastard and stay safe. I'll be voting for any help Oz needs if it goes that far bruv.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Last edited: