Thinking Of Visiting Australia?

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Article from today's Guardian about how the victims are coping
Australia's bushfire towns battle on, despite what they have lost: supplies, power, houses, 'the lot'
Evacuees and residents in Victoria band together to help one another, while cut-off NSW communities struggle to reconnect to the world outside
Calla Wahlquist
@callapilla
Wed 1 Jan 2020 06.37 GMTLast modified on Wed 1 Jan 2020 06.59 GMT

Donations began arriving at Lucknow Memorial Hall, on the outskirts of Bairnsdale, at 1pm on Tuesday. Within 24 hours a second donation point had been set up at Lucknow primary school, because the hall was full.
Clothes are stacked on three trestle tables in the centre of the hall, blankets are lined up on the floor, and food – staples such as cereal and long-life milk – are against one long wall.
“This is all social media,” Wendy McPhan says. She made a Facebook post on Tuesday inquiring if there was anything she could do locally to help victims of the devastating bushfires, that have destroyed more than 200 homes and are still burning out of control in East Gippsland and southern NSW. Suddenly she had donations arriving from Melbourne, 280km away.
On the heels of the donations came those who had lost everything, but were reluctant to say they needed help. People are proud in Gippsland, McPhan says.
“We had a couple with three kids here, and he [the father] started crying,” she says. “I said, ‘here’s a $300 voucher for Woolies,’ and he said ‘no, I can’t take that, there’s people worse off.’
etc
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-bushfire-towns-supplies-power-houses-the-lot

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Kondoru green councils were fining people trying to clear scrub from around their houses and properties.
Have no idea if it's true but on social media I read the rumour that some fires were started by climate activists so they could say global warming was to blame for the fires starting.
Having known many greens, I unfortunatley could believe that.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A friend rang today and said that her cousin who has a farm in the fire area seems to be safe at the moment.
He was fined $8000 by his council for clearing scrub earlier in the year.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A friend rang today and said that her cousin who has a farm in the fire area seems to be safe at the moment.
That's some good news! Lets hope things stay that way. We've got more heatwave conditions and the subsequent problems that brings due on Saturday.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Hopefully questions will be asked nationally after this over these council policies .. $8000 fine but how much would he have lost if he hadn't done that? .. his entire farm possibly. I hope he takes his council to court to retrieve that $8000 now. I would .. kick 'em when they're down like they did to him. It's not about revenge, it's about fairness.

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
I'm guessing he's allowed to clear it now.
I'm guessing it's too dangerous now (but I know what you're saying) .. I'd say something like "Under the recent circumstances your honour, I'd be grateful if I could have my $8000 back please."

Anome

Bibliomancer
Reaction score
You hear a few of these stories, but never any details on why they were actually fined. I mean, were they cutting down trees, and taking the timber away, or were they doing an unauthorised burn?

To hear some people say it, you'd think that all the rural local councils were run by the Green Party somehow. Oddly enough, I don't think that's the case.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
You hear a few of these stories, but never any details on why they were actually fined. I mean, were they cutting down trees, and taking the timber away, or were they doing an unauthorised burn?

To hear some people say it, you'd think that all the rural local councils were run by the Green Party somehow. Oddly enough, I don't think that's the case.
I've searched but cannot find a breakdown of Rural Councilors by party membership. Can you find one?

Anome

Bibliomancer
Reaction score
I've searched but cannot find a breakdown of Rural Councilors by party membership. Can you find one?
Not easily. The Greens Victoria do have a list of their councillors in Victoria, a total of about 24 statewide including urban councils (and I think that includes mayors, not just councillors.)

The Wikipedia entry for the NSW Greens lists 58 councillors in 32 councils out of a total of 128 local councils. Again including urban areas.

Of course, that doesn't include independents or other parties that might have a Green focus. Still, it hardly sounds like those filthy greenies are making the fires worse. At least not at a local government level.

Last edited:

Nemo

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I'd like to visit Oz, if only to ride on the trains.

Swifty

Reaction score
One of our waiters at work has just worked his notice and had/ has pre planned a visit to Australia for ages as well as other countries .. it's all pre paid for and he's still insisting on going to Australia any minute now despite the Mrs nagging him not to .. we can't stop him.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
One of our waiters at work has just worked his notice and had/ has pre planned a visit to Australia for ages as well as other countries .. it's all pre paid for and he's still insisting on going to Australia any minute now despite the Mrs nagging him not to .. we can't stop him.
I guess he could go to the part that isn't burning, otherwise he won't get much of a holiday.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
Absolute bullshit. As are the claims that the "greenies" are responsible for preventing back burning that could have prevented the fires getting this out of hand.

The actual problem is that the part of the year where back burning can be done safely is getting shorter and shorter for some reason*, and successive governments have reduced the funding for fire prevention and fire fighting resources.

* It's pretty clear what the reason is, but some people still seem to be in denial.
The Greens have nine seats in the senate, and have voted with both sides. They are a very handy bloc of numbers for the coalition. They have had state forests removed to national forests, they have had fire trails blocked with trees and or very large cement blocks.

They've had cattle removed from montane areas of national parks, and they do formulate, with the coalition, the removal of services from NPWS, which suits the coalition because money...and suits the green party because there is a reduction in people going into these state and federal parks. It doesn't suit the farmer or the grazier because Feral wild dogs, and feral pigs have bred up in that time in our National and state Parks due to the massive reduction in services. Both of these pests are very active with lambs on the ground

We haven't been allowed to harvest firewood from the sides of the road or parks for a decade now, and one of the reasons that hazard reduction isn't done is because there is a prevailing westerly in winter which blows the smoke out to sea...over and through the city of Sydney.

I agree that this is not the fault solely of the green party...or the massive reduction of services within the NPWS, or the closure of fire trails, or the ten years accumulation of heat stressed flora which has a habit of dropping boughs to reduce transpiration, or the excess atomised eucalyptus oil due to the heat. or the excess CO2 in our atmosphere, or the altered IR radiation that keeps bouncing around in our atmosphere due to Greenhouse gasses...

It is a combination of many variables.

Last edited:

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score
My prior optimism has waned significantly today.
  • 17 people missing / fears they have perished in eastern Victoria.
  • 4000 residents and tourists stranded on beaches at Malacoota with no roads open to escape. None. The navy has been sent to evacuate 800 but can't land due to the shit conditions. Some residents have been calling for urgent rescue for 48 hours now. That is inconceivably bad. I just read that those 800 might get evacuated tomorrow morning. Fucken hell! What's to become of the rest? Get the local and interstate recreation craft mobilised Dunkirk-style FFS!
  • Panics haven't commenced yet but there are lines of traffic queueing for petrol and lines of shoppers outside of supermarkets in affected towns around the SE coasts. I can't imagine how tourists with kids stuck on freeways are going to be able to hold it together for much longer. It's building to something awful. Dread
  • Whole towns are gone in the ranges. Wiped off the face of the earth by fire. Inconceivable.
  • Stats of 480 Million native animals killed so far.
It's basically no way out as fires bear down on them, massive firefronts joining to create huge firestorms which are impossible to dent. Above 40deg temps forecast for the weekend starting tomorrow. The services are doing everything they can, but they are utterly overwhelmed by the conditions and the ever-growing need for urgent assistance from so many desperate people spread across a vast area of country. I dread to contemplate what all of this means in terms of casualties, but we're in brand new territory as a nation. The authorities are telling everyone to get ready for a huge tragedy via media. They're just holding it together. The stress and horror of what they know is about to ocur is written on their faces. God help them all.

Gloucestrian

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I can't seem to find any decent information online, is there a particular charity that is good at ensuring donations go directly to help in the crisis? I'd love to donate but I don't want it to just enrich some charity that's not even taking part in the relief efforts.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Our Probus meets in a Salvation army hall so If I get there Monday I'll see the coordinator there and make a donation. They are usually reliable in dispensing aid.
I remember the last bad bushfire when we tried to donate new goods to the Red cross and they were refusing to accept anything as they had warehouses full yet people affected complained they had been given nothing.
I finished up giving things to one of the ladies working in a local dress shop as she knew people in areas who were struggling.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
I fail to understand why there arent fire breaks or some way of protecting settlements.

Even something like the Japanese system of sacrificable and cheaply replaced house around a fireproof core for the valuables.

(But this is a society in which a lot of people died in fires...at least in the past)

If I lived in Australia I would make sure the was a big bare patch upwind from my place.

Habitat, Kondoru...of the lesser known, green spotted ouija bird, that flies in ever diminishing circles, finally disappearing up it's own fundamental orifice.

Last edited:

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
Sorry for bumping this thread but I don't have much time available at the moment and I'm mostly only visiting to keep up with how our Australian members are getting on. The news I'm seeing is extremely concerning, and the political ramifications are also being widely reported.

We're thinking of you guys, please post updates when you can.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I'm fearing a lot of the Aussie posters may have had their electricity cut off. I was reading part of the country was the hottest place on the entire planet a few hours ago.

PeteByrdie

Reaction score
I'm fearing a lot of the Aussie posters may have had their electricity cut off. I was reading part of the country was the hottest place on the entire planet a few hours ago.
Some have posted elsewhere since I posted above. I read that, too.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Sorry for bumping this thread but I don't have much time available at the moment and I'm mostly only visiting to keep up with how our Australian members are getting on. The news I'm seeing is extremely concerning, and the political ramifications are also being widely reported.

We're thinking of you guys, please post updates when you can.
I have relatives who live 10 miles from Sydney.

They have been told to prepare for evacuation.

This has just been posted by Sky News - it's horrendous...

Australia bushfires: Sydney suburb is hottest place on earth as heat creates storms

Strong winds and high temperatures are expected to bring flames to more populated areas, including the suburbs of Sydney.

Source: Sky News online
Date: 4 January, 2020

Bushfires raging across Australia are generating so much heat they are creating their own storms, with authorities warning wind conditions are causing some of the biggest fires to merge.

Fire tornadoes and dry lightning have sparked even more blazes, as temperatures soared to new highs today - 48.9C (120F) in Penrith, 45C (113F) in Sydney and 44C (111F) in Canberra.

Penrith, a suburb of Sydney, was the hottest place on Earth on Saturday, the Met Office confirmed to Sky News. It was the hottest day ever recorded in greater Sydney.

Bushfires raging across Australia are generating so much heat they are creating their own storms, with authorities warning wind conditions are causing some of the biggest fires to merge.

Fire tornadoes and dry lightning have sparked even more blazes, as temperatures soared to new highs today - 48.9C (120F) in Penrith, 45C (113F) in Sydney and 44C (111F) in Canberra.

Penrith, a suburb of Sydney, was the hottest place on Earth on Saturday, the Met Office confirmed to Sky News. It was the hottest day ever recorded in greater Sydney.

https://news.sky.com/story/australi...s-3-000-army-reservists-are-deployed-11900782

PeteByrdie

Reaction score
I have relatives who live 10 miles from Sydney.

They have been told to prepare for evacuation.

This has just been posted by Sky News - it's horrendous...

Australia bushfires: Sydney suburb is hottest place on earth as heat creates storms

Strong winds and high temperatures are expected to bring flames to more populated areas, including the suburbs of Sydney.

Source: Sky News online
Date: 4 January, 2020

https://news.sky.com/story/australi...s-3-000-army-reservists-are-deployed-11900782
Thanks for posting CN. On subjects such as this, I never know whether to like a post to show appreciation, when it feels so wrong to 'like' such devastating news.