Thinking Of Visiting Australia?

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Thanks for posting CN. On subjects such as this, I never know whether to like a post to show appreciation, when it feels so wrong to 'like' such devastating news.
Your kind reply will more than suffice. :):)

Tell you what, I was in two minds whether to post that update at all. Found it distressing putting it together, whilst at the same time realising the enormity of what you intend to highlight.

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Your kind reply will more than suffice. :):)

Tell you what, I was in two minds whether to post that update at all. Found it distressing putting it together, whilst at the same time realising the enormity of what you intend to highlight.
Our thoughts are with your relatives, too. Keep us informed if you find time.

It occurs that, even in areas where they still have power, infrastructure may have been disrupted. Some places may have no internet access even if they're in no immediate danger.

PeteByrdie

Was wondering when it will all end, and how?
One Hope's for winds changing the right way, for rains to come early. The forecast isn't positive. But don't forecasts always assume a worst scenario? We'll see. But we look on, hoping for opportunities to do what we can. Australia is a cousin to Britain, genetically and culturally. It's wildlife is unique. It's indigenous culture is evocative and rich. Everything lost is a loss to the world. My heart has been broken too many times already.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
We have had plus thirty five degrees daily since November, with particular days where it rises above forty five degrees. Yesterday was 46 out our way which is about 115, isn't it...It gets that hot, that Councils duty of care recommends the closing of the local swimming pool.

We are a good test case, here in Australia, of what is possible with this climate instability.

We are also running out of water with townships now relying on tankers to ship potable water into towns. We have two coal mines in Lithgow (central tablelands of NSW) who has a daily delivery of 720,000 litres of water, which our governments are fine with.

We also have the Adani mine, which will utilise 26,000,000 litres of water a day...which our Governments are fine with.

We now have Clive Palmer, who rooted the chances of the Australian Labor party by spinning all sorts of bullshit and gaining half a million votes...which he preferred on to the Coalition party, and who now has the nod to open a mine 4 times the size of Adani.

I don't know where I'm going with this post, but there are things happening in Australia which are setting precedents with present legislation that are going to come back and bite people fair on the arse. We are being pushed into corners - And the Governments of federal and state couldn't give a rats arse...unless it's to get a good screen grab where people aren't abusing them.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...lia-fire-sa-bushfire-near-rfs-cfa-latest-news

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
We have had plus thirty five degrees daily since November, with particular days where it rises above forty five degrees. Yesterday was 46 out our way which is about 115, isn't it..gets that hot, that Councils duty of care recommends the closing of the local swimming pool.
WOW... o_O

Thoughts with you... :group:

Thank you so much for the insight.

I have this terrible feeling that when it's all over, the phrase, 'charred landscape' might need to be redefined.

This for you and others there...

Screenshot_20200105_025300_compress1.jpg

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
We evacuated our home town yesterday. Were are staying with my in-laws 20 minutes away. The fire arrived last night and from what we can assertain, 5-6 houses have been destroyed. The two towns South of us have also lost houses.
Presently, all road access is closed to everyone aside from emergency vehicles. We are listening to the fire brigade and emergency services on a scanner app and it appears there are approximately 50 fire fighting vehicles in our town fighting a fire front which has been approaching from the West. Support fires from ember attacks are also problematic. That being said, yesterday's temperatures where in the mid 40's. Today it's around 18 with some mist and very light rain. The winds however aren't helpful.
Once today is over we ought to have a better idea of what damage has been done. Smoke is so thick that air surveillance and water bombing is not possible.
That being said, as frightening as this is, other places are suffering far greater.
Forgive any errors, I'm posting from my phone.

Anome

Bibliomancer
It was surprisingly cool in Canberra today, only reached about 28 degrees. Still, the smoke was terrible. Many businesses didn't open today, out of concern for their employees' safety. Some of those that did closed early. For the second time in a week, Canberra topped the AQI ratings for pollution.

Still, the fires haven't actually got here...yet. Nowhere in the ACT is actually on fire, we've just got all the smoke from New South Wales and Victoria floating around. Still, at least one person has died from respiratory distress.

I grabbed the following list of places to donate directly to bushfire relief from the Sydney Morning Herald. The Red Cross, and Salvation Army are also collecting, but people seem to have issues with them, besides you can check them locally.
NSW Rural Fire Service: https://quickweb.westpac.com.au/OnlinePaymentServlet...
Queensland Fire and Rescue: http://www.givit.org.au/items-needed
Victorian Country Fire Authority: https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/about/supporting-cfa
South Australian Country Fire Service: https://cfsfoundation.org.au/donate

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
We evacuated our home town yesterday. Were are staying with my in-laws 20 minutes away. The fire arrived last night and from what we can assertain, 5-6 houses have been destroyed. The two towns South of us have also lost houses.
Presently, all road access is closed to everyone aside from emergency vehicles. We are listening to the fire brigade and emergency services on a scanner app and it appears there are approximately 50 fire fighting vehicles in our town fighting a fire front which has been approaching from the West. Support fires from ember attacks are also problematic. That being said, yesterday's temperatures where in the mid 40's. Today it's around 18 with some mist and very light rain. The winds however aren't helpful.
Once today is over we ought to have a better idea of what damage has been done. Smoke is so thick that air surveillance and water bombing is not possible.
That being said, as frightening as this is, other places are suffering far greater.
Glad to hear you're safe LL, give your in laws an extra hug from us weirdos in Cromer X .. and if I know our Queen like I think I do, she'll be organising relief ships for the worst affected already. She's normally good like that.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...

Fire like this is so random LL, isn't it - it has a will of it's own...

May Whoever, and Whatever, look over and after your mob mate.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
WOW... o_O

Thoughts with you... :group:

Thank you so much for the insight.

I have this terrible feeling that when it's all over, the phrase, 'charred landscape' might need to be redefined.

This for you and others there...

View attachment 22391
Thanks C.N. -We much appreciate an awareness by others, of what is happening here, outside of our seabound girth.

Our Prime Minister wants to make it illegal to demonstrate against certain companies that think that climate instability is normal, and that it is business as usual...these businesses have made trillions on things like coal, iron ore, bauxite, paying NO tax on yearly profits, writing off the cost of leased plant, and then being subsidised by the federal government as well (read that as 'Muggins').

Adani, who want to open up a massive complex mining coal, Is one of them. They will get access to 26,000,000 litres of water a day, gratis, almost in perpetuity, but would like the Australian Government to stump up $1,000,000,000 first, as it needs that amount to set it up. It also wants to dredge a sealane through the great barrier reef to assist in loading Ships

At home, in India, Mr Adani is well known as a shyster, having been dragged through the courts many times already, with the Indian Government warning Australia that he and his company are not to be trusted.

Then, at the height of the fires our PM, the Minister for defense, and the Minister FOR EMERGENCY SERVICES fucks offshore to Hawaii, Bali, and Europe respectively, saying, "no worries, she'll be right, I've got me phone wiv me"...

Meanwhile, it is the people, the electorate (and others), who are coming to the aid of these poor bastards who have lost everything. Australia has raised over $20 million for Aid and Fire Relief...while the government makes a fucking commercial.

Ye gods and little fishes...

(sorry about the rant).

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Thanks C.N. -We much appreciate an awareness by others, of what is happening here, outside of our seabound girth.

Our Prime Minister wants to make it illegal to demonstrate against certain companies that think that climate instability is normal, and that it is business as usual...these businesses have made trillions on things like coal, iron ore, bauxite, paying NO tax on yearly profits, writing off the cost of leased plant, and then being subsidised by the federal government as well (read that as 'Muggins').

Adani, who want to open up a massive complex mining coal, Is one of them. They will get access to 26,000,000 litres of water a day, gratis, almost in perpetuity, but would like the Australian Government to stump up $1,000,000,000 first, as it needs that amount to set it up. It also wants to dredge a sealane through the great barrier reef to assist in loading Ships

At home, in India, Mr Adani is well known as a shyster, having been dragged through the courts many times already, with the Indian Government warning Australia that he and his company are not to be trusted.

Then, at the height of the fires our PM, the Minister for defense, and the Minister FOR EMERGENCY SERVICES fucks offshore to Hawaii, Bali, and Europe respectively, saying, "no worries, she'll be right, I've got me phone wiv me"...

Meanwhile, it is the people, the electorate (and others), who are coming to the aid of these poor bastards who have lost everything. Australia has raised over $20 million for Aid and Fire Relief...while the government makes a fucking commercial.

Ye gods and little fishes...

(sorry about the rant).
After all the gutlessness of Morrison, it's hard to think that he was a better alternative to Peter Dutton to replace Malcom Turnbull as PM? Come back Malcom, we need you (I never thought I'd say that!)

Anome

Bibliomancer
After all the gutlessness of Morrison, it's hard to think that he was a better alternative to Peter Dutton to replace Malcom Turnbull as PM? Come back Malcom, we need you (I never thought I'd say that!)
Malcolm was shit, but compared to everyone else in the Liberal Party, he's a vast improvement.

PeteByrdie

Bollocks .. apparently the Queen is just sending her 'hopes and prayers' :mad: ffs .. the fuck use is that?! .. militant internet and media action time I suppose ..
Reminiscent of the Father Ted episode "Speed 3" when the priest wants to keep saying mass to deal with an unfolding crisis instead of actually doing anything useful. Both the Queen wants us to show solidarity with Australia and I suppose that is her job. In the end, looks like it's down to the people to help in this situation, since authorities have proven ineffectual.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Fire like this is so random LL, isn't it - it has a will of it's own...

May Whoever, and Whatever, look over and after your mob mate.
Thank you! Back home tonight, breathing a sigh of relief for the moment. Safe & sound. Luckier than some.
As of midday today, we were allowed back after assessment crews had been through looking for spot fires, fallen trees, downed power lines etc. There's presently a couple of streets where residents have not been allowed back into. Officially, 5 houses have been lost, some are suggesting a few more were lost. The next two towns along from us also lost houses.
On the night of the fire, three fire fronts came. We live on the edge of a National Park and are surrounded by bush. It could have been much worse than it was.
This evening, there is light rain falling.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

PeteByrdie

Full respect to her :salute:, that's more than the Queen's done so far (unless I'm missing something) ..
Yeah, good girl! She's doing what she can.

In fact, to anyone who donates, I won't send any nude selfies. That should bring in some dough. Especially from those people tired of getting my nude selfies.