Thinking Of Visiting Australia?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Ozzyman reviews Australia's bush fires .. NSFW, swearing, injured animals

Last edited:
Dog saves sheep from becoming roast mutton.

Meet Patsy - now known as the Corryong Wonder Dog.

When the fire closed in on the tiny Victoria town, in the early hours of New Year’s Eve, Patsy sprang into action to herd her 900 sheep into a safe paddock away from the moving fire front.

“I’d have been stuffed without Patsy,” owner Stephen Hill told SBS News. “She’s earned front-seat privileges for the rest of her life.”

Patsy - who bravely stayed to protect her 900 strong flock of sheep - and owner Stephen Hill.
SBS News

Despite the heat and terrifying conditions, Mr Hill said Patsy kept her cool and kept an eye on her charges, even as smoke blanketed the property. While the property lost several sheds, only a handful of sheep were killed during the firestorm.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/how-patsy-the-wonder-dog-saved-her-flock-of-sheep-as-bushfires-raged

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Dog saves sheep from becoming roast mutton.

Meet Patsy - now known as the Corryong Wonder Dog.

When the fire closed in on the tiny Victoria town, in the early hours of New Year’s Eve, Patsy sprang into action to herd her 900 sheep into a safe paddock away from the moving fire front.

“I’d have been stuffed without Patsy,” owner Stephen Hill told SBS News. “She’s earned front-seat privileges for the rest of her life.”

Patsy - who bravely stayed to protect her 900 strong flock of sheep - and owner Stephen Hill.
SBS News

Despite the heat and terrifying conditions, Mr Hill said Patsy kept her cool and kept an eye on her charges, even as smoke blanketed the property. While the property lost several sheds, only a handful of sheep were killed during the firestorm.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/how-patsy-the-wonder-dog-saved-her-flock-of-sheep-as-bushfires-raged
if that isn't made into a movie I'll be very surprised.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
It's predicted that our town will again come under threat again tomorrow, so in advance of the forecast high of 35 celsius and a Southerly expected late in the evening (potentially pushing the fire front towards us), we'll be leaving to stay at the in-laws.
Whilst Friday is looking grim for many parts of the country, there is still a little levity out there amongst all of the tragedy. Donations and fundraising efforts both locally and worldwide have been and continue to astound with peoples generosity.
This particular one caught my eye earlier this evening whilst browsing on Twitter...

The Down Under Dildo Donation
dud.jpg
Our country has been devastated by bushfires and we need your help! Purchase this toy and 100% of the profits will be donated directly to the bushfire relief efforts. This silicone toy was designed specifically as our way to help out our neighbours in need. Buying a sex toy has never felt so good
https://geekysextoys.com/bushfire-appeal/

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
It's predicted that our town will again come under threat again tomorrow, so in advance of the forecast high of 35 celsius and a Southerly expected late in the evening (potentially pushing the fire front towards us), we'll be leaving to stay at the in-laws.
Whilst Friday is looking grim for many parts of the country, there is still a little levity out there amongst all of the tragedy. Donations and fundraising efforts both locally and worldwide have been and continue to astound with peoples generosity.
This particular one caught my eye earlier this evening whilst browsing on Twitter...

That's brilliant.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient

Very touching, I am moved to tears...

skinny

Ásatrúarfélagið
Major bushfire donors
Donor/s Amount
Andrew Forrest's Minderoo Foundation$70m
Paul Ramsay Foundation$30m
Crown/The Packers$5m
NAB$5m
Coles$4m
AFL$2.5m
B
HP$2m
Westpac$1.5m
Woolworths$1.5m
Australian NBA stars$1m+
Commonwealth Bank$1m
ANZ$1m
Rio Tinto$1m
Orica$1m
Pratt Foundation$1m
John and Pauline Gandel$1m
Elton John$1m
Chris Hemsworth$1m
Kylie Jenner$1m
Hains family via Portland House Foundation$1m
The Perich Group $1m
Auction for Shane Warne's baggy green cap (anonymous buyer)$1m
Metallica$750k
Lewis Hamilton$730k approx
Kylie and Dannii Minogue$500k
Justin Hemmes$500k
Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban$500k
Pink$500k
source; ABC news website
*Table does not include fundraisers, such as Celeste Barber's efforts to raise tens of millions, or pledges conditional on future events, such as Nick Krygios' commitment to donate $200 for every ace he hits.
----------------------------------------------------
The stats from ordinary overseas and local donors will probably not be reported, but I think the single dollar from the struggling single mum equates to the supersplash of a celebrity or corporate entity. Every bit will be needed. Hope every bit is utilised appropriately and in the spirit in which it has been given.

Last edited:

skinny

Ásatrúarfélagið
Last evening, I drove through the aftermath of December's devastation at Lobethal. Sobering. Hills homes reduced to blackened lumps of tin and stone. I was struck by how many homes were actually saved. God bless those firies. Their pure utility and skill go unsung. We need an annual celebration event for them. Like we do for the soldiers.

Anome

Bibliomancer
She should have known better. Drop bears aren't anything like koalas at all. They're a species of possum, related to the Greater Glider. They're also mostly vegetarian.

The problem is they lack the flaps of skin between their legs that the gliders have, so when they jump out of the trees, they don't so much fly as plummet. As this is very embarrassing for them, they started to pretend that they were doing it on purpose to attack larger animals. One thing led to another, and now they're stuck pretending to be fearsome predators that kill unwary bushwalkers. It's not that they want to kill people, it's just they're ashamed of what might happen when their secret gets out.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
She should have known better. Drop bears aren't anything like koalas at all. They're a species of possum, related to the Greater Glider. They're also mostly vegetarian.

The problem is they lack the flaps of skin between their legs that the gliders have, so when they jump out of the trees, they don't so much fly as plummet. As this is very embarrassing for them, they started to pretend that they were doing it on purpose to attack larger animals. One thing led to another, and now they're stuck pretending to be fearsome predators that kill unwary bushwalkers. It's not that they want to kill people, it's just they're ashamed of what might happen when their secret gets out.
Let's introduce her to a cassowary next!