Thinking Of Visiting Australia?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Another aspect of Australia.

If you wish to 'rough it', out here, it's not a good idea to put the tent up next to a Gum (Eucalypt), or in a dry creek bed, or near an ants nest, or over a wombat track, or, if it's up north, anywhere near water.
In short, anywhere in Australia.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Another aspect of Australia.

If you wish to 'rough it', out here, it's not a good idea to put the tent up next to a Gum (Eucalypt), or in a dry creek bed, or near an ants nest, or over a wombat track, or, if it's up north, anywhere near water.

I digress...

This is what we call a widowmaker, and in the heat, and especially in a drought, Gums drop branches. This is one of 'em.

Fortunately, no one was injured.View attachment 24255
Too true. A woman who works for us was sitting in her car with her husband, in Canberra, 5 years ago outside of their then home. Next thing they know, they're both being cut out of their car, somehow uninjured and lucky to be alive. The car was a destroyed. A massive gum branch came down upon them.

Anome

Bibliomancer
Reaction score
Good heavens! Even the trees are actively trying to kill you in Australia. That's terrifying!
Haven't we already covered the Bunya Pine?

My father's company car was totalled during a wind storm by one. Not by a cone, but by a particularly long and twisty branch - they grow out in a very serpentine manner from the trunk.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
I can't remember what I was doing yesterday, let alone 5 years ago.

I figured we'd already covered it, anyway.
We get a bit that way Anome...don't we.

I say to myself - i need to write that down and go searching for a pen, notice that there's a spoon on the side board, wonder why the spoon is there, look down and notice my boot lace is undone, so I bend down to tie my lace and espy a pencil under the sideboard, then remember that I need to write something down - But I'm buggered if I can remember what....

Mate! You wouldn't be dead for quids!!

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Too true. A woman who works for us was sitting in her car with her husband, in Canberra, 5 years ago outside of their then home. Next thing they know, they're both being cut out of their car, somehow uninjured and lucky to be alive. The car was a destroyed. A massive gum branch came down upon them.
That was real? I thought it was a joke about the gum trees.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That was real? I thought it was a joke about the gum trees.
100% Authentic. The woman it happened to works for my wife and I. Their car was destroyed and the emergency services had to cut them out with the jaws of life. They were completely uninjured physically, but terribly shaken up as you would imagine. They are very, very aware of where they park these days.

It happens: Deaths from falling trees in Australia