• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Thinning 4: Camus: The Plague, 1st English Edition

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Albert Camus: The Plague, La Peste, 1st English Edition, 1st state, very striking Michael Ayrton dust-jacket, 1948

Extremely rare in this condition. Among the best copies to be seen online with the least fading to the spine. No markings, inscriptions or spotting within. Minor indentations on inside cover and prelims. The red spots on the back of the cover are clearly a mishap during the printing and do not represent later damage. Price is unclipped. Minor loss at top and bottom of the dust-jacket spine but otherwise intact and in good order. Boards are sharp without corner-bumps. One barely noticeable indent on bottom-front cloth.

My scans tend to be unflatteringly yellow and compression has introduced some artifacts on the white of the pages. I am still learning to drive this scanner!

ABE books have six copies of this edition ranging in price from £296 to £1,425.

Priced to sell at £200. ono

Plague01ColourSmall.jpg
PlagueDJSmall.jpg
PlagueCover02Small.jpg
PlagueClothNewSmall.jpg
PlagueTitleSmall.jpg
PlagueEditionSmall.jpg

Last edited:
He died in a Facel Vega you know. I realise this isn't relevant, but I always think of that when I hear his name.

'Striking' is the word - you know you aren't snuggling down with a bedtime story when that slides of the shelf...

I keep considering trading in my first editions of Waugh's Sword of Honour Trilogy (jacketed in VG to Fine condition) for a perfect first edition of The End of the Affair by Graham Greene (possibly my favourite book), but every time I look it seems to have got more pricey.

We really do need a book collectors thread. Is anybody else here a collector?

I have never seen those photos before. I did see the crash scene reconstructed in a film once, and I thought it looked a bit unrealistic. Seeing those photos though, I think they reconstructed it pretty accurately. As far as memory goes.

I think I recall the two women, relatively uninjured, survivors both being still strapped in the back seat sitting in the field.

I am bumping these three-year-old threads and may add a lot more, reluctantly offered for sale.

I cannot now edit the original posts. If interested, please let me know in the next few days, as I may disappear from the internet for a while.

If you have wants lists, I may be able to help.

James:)

I am bumping these three-year-old threads and may add a lot more, reluctantly offered for sale.

I cannot now edit the original posts. If interested, please let me know in the next few days, as I may disappear from the internet for a while.

If you have wants lists, I may be able to help.

James:)

Don't stay away for long, James, if you go.

Back