• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Thinning: Books by Jack-The-Ripper?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Books by Jack-the-Ripper (not guaranteed to be by him) . . .

13: Palestine by Claude Regnier Conder, 1st Edition, 1889, illustrated with engravings and coloured maps at the back. Damp marks on the front and rear cloth but paper is good, corners only slightly soft. Spine in smart condition. A felt-tip mark on prelims. Folding map of Ancient Jerusalem has small tear. Generally a good copy of this rare book, which has the following added interest.

From a web-article I wrote back in 2001, when Conder was chosen by Liverpool author Tom Slemen as a Jack-the-Ripper candidate:

"Yet it is Major Claude who has attracted the attention of some recent writers as a candidate for being Jack the Ripper. His association with Charles Warren, the Freemason and compulsive tunneler on Jerusalem's Temple Mount who became Police Commissioner at the time of the Whitechapel murders is said to have protected him from the consequences of his terrible crimes. "Warren's Mines" to this day are the deepest explorations of the Temple Mount site and the new Ripper theory is along the familiar lines of a Masonic cover-up. The problem with Claude Conder is that at the period of the murders, he was in charge of the engravings for the Ordnance Survey at Southampton and his activities are likely to be well-documented, if the truth is really sought. He was also busy writing books, notably the volume on Palestine dated 1889. There is no sign of greater than usual Victorian mental imbalance in the book. The case against him seems to be that he was alive at the time, he was a Freemason and he served under Warren in Palestine. He is also said to have been a trained killer, which by definition is what marks a soldier from the rest of humanity while his expertise in Altaic languages is said to link him to some otherwise indecipherable clues in the Ripper case." £65.

14: Another book, probably not written by Jack the Ripper but the intense-looking F. T. is another candidate for the crimes. His most horrifying production was the Ballad of the Witch Babies but you will not find it here.

Francis Thompson: Collected Poems, some foxing etc. with portrait of the poet.

Thompson's poems were published by the Catholic publishers Burnes, Oates & Washburne. Edges are uneven in the manner of the day. Not uncommon but a good copy, £15, as a bonus, some enthusiast has added a handwritten pencil version of Carmen Genesis by the same author. It is not included in the printed Selected Poems.

I am bumping these three-year-old threads and may add a lot more, reluctantly offered for sale.

I cannot now edit the original posts. If interested, please let me know in the next few days, as I may disappear from the internet for a while.

If you have wants lists, I may be able to help.

James:)

Back