• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

This may sound wierd but...

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
I'm a really sound sleeper, never have nightmares, am pretty chilled out without any major worries. For the second time in six months recently, I've been asleep sometimes around 4 - 5AM when i've felt a real panic coming on. I started whimpering (apparently) and eventually woke up screaming. I've wondered whether it may have something to do with sleep paralysis. But frankly its a bit embarassing and I don't want to make a habit of it.

Sounds like the old four o'clock horses. Didn't we have a thread on that somewhere?

edit: Now, that's a little strange. A google finds references to six, nine and ten o'clock horses, but not the four o'clock variety. I'm sure there was a discussion on this board about the tendency of some people to wake around three or four in the morning with an oppressive feeling of anxiety. And I'm sure the four o'clock horses got a mention. Hey ho - maybe my memory's finally going. I'll probably wake up around half-three worrying about it.

Go off to the doctor's and get a checkup. Panic attacks have many origins, and seizures during sleep are one. I know 'cause I do that. Sleep apnea can be another cause.

Anyway, get yourself checked out.

It's also possible that your sleep patterns have changed with age, or something is happening in your environment, so don't fret about it. You will find your sleep disrupted more often if you do! But a marked change in long-established sleep patterns is worth a trip to the doctor, especially in Britain where you don't have to argue your insurance company into covering it. If it's nothing, you'll feel better for knowing it; if it's something, you'll feel better for treating it.

We h ave been talking about the dead hour in another thread, but nobody mentioned horses. Look for "3:33 A.M" instead.

Thank you for your posts. I'm not aware of having seizures as I think my wife would have noticed. But thanks for your input and I will get myself checked out.

There are several types of seizures, some of which are mild enough not to wake a sleeping partner, so that's still a possible explanation.

definitely go to the doctor. disturbed slleoing patterns have varied causes but some can have serious conseqences if left untreated.

PeniG said:
We h ave been talking about the dead hour in another thread, but nobody mentioned horses. Look for "3:33 A.M" instead.

The thread I was thinking of (or imagining??!) is/was a lot older than the 3.33am one. Possibly it was a victim of the occasional forum clear out.

Back