• Hello everyone, we will rebooting the web server on Sunday February 17th 2019 at 1800 (6pm) GMT / 1300 (1pm) EST to apply some server updates.

We will also be applying some updates to the forums software.

This will result in approximately 30 minutes of downtime

Thor's Black, Death & Viking Metal Thrash Thread

MrRING

Justified & Ancient
Norwegian black metal band shocks Poland

Norwegian black metal band Gorgoroth staged a special concert that made Janet Jackson's breast-baring look like nursery school antics and left Catholic Poland outraged. A police investigation has begun after a show that included dozens of sheep heads on stakes, a literal blood bath and a naked, crucified woman, newspaper VG reports.

Gorgoroth's concert in Krakow was recorded by state TV station TVP and the resulting scandal was the center of attention in Polish media. The band is now being investigated for causing religious offense, which can be punished by two years in prison.

The police are also considering an investigation of cruelty to animals.

"On stage there was blood everywhere. About ten decapitated sheep heads and naked people, alive, on large crosses. Everyone was painted with 100 liters of sheep blood. Also there were Satanist symbols everywhere. One of the hanging female models fainted and an ambulance had to be called," TVP director Andrzej Jeziorek told VG.

Jeziorek said that the TVP staff were terrified and reported the show to police.

"This kind of thing should not happen on state TV and especially not in Krakow, which is the Pope's city," Jeziorek said. Jeziorek wanted to halt the concert but feared a riot from enthusiastic, bloodied fans who had paid for tickets.

The band were recording a concert DVD and had promised fans a very special show in Poland, and had rigged the stage behind curtains to keep the content secret.

Recent troubles with sects and Satanist groups have made the issue especially sensitive in Poland.

The Article

Last edited by a moderator:

Vitrius

Devoted Cultist
Don't black metal bands do this sort of thing all the time when they tour?

Poland even has its own domestic crop of them.

Vitrius

Devoted Cultist
JerryB said:
And to think it was also started as a joke by a few Yorkshiremen........
That would be...Venom? I wouldn't have thought of them as "Yorkies."

Any way, it's the whitching hour, so hail Satan and black ******* metal to all.

Stormkhan

Justified & Ancient
Ahhh, yes - Venom. A hilarious bunch of leather-and-stud chappies who liked to hide behind loud music and exceptionally funny pseudonyms. Whatever happened to them? I'd like to imagine the Black Metal phase moving on, so they pack up their pentacles and returned back to their room in their parents house ...

"Nigel? NIGEL! What have I told you about painting upside down crosses on your bedroom wall? Go upstairs and clean them off right this minute or I won't let you watch "The Weakest Link" again!"

Back to Polish "heavy" metal. What we in the west can get away with might not go down to well with the authorities in Eastern Eurpoe yet. Then again, such antics don't raise much attention anymore so Western groups have to hunt around for other ways to shock, offend ... and appeal to student proto-rebels.

A

Anonymous

On the other hand, the eastern european bands have always been more intense that the western... probably something to do with them always seeming ten years behind...
I'd provide some examples, but I grew out of that scene many years ago :rolleyes:

austen27

Justified & Ancient
Re: Dead Sheep Heads and Naked Folks on Crosses Cause Concer

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:

"On stage there was blood everywhere. About ten decapitated sheep heads and naked people, alive, on large crosses.
It would have been more upsetting if the naked people were dead on crosses.;)
By the way, what are "decapitated sheep heads" - aren't they just sheep heads - the bit left behind is decapitated.

Stormkhan

Justified & Ancient
Perhaps it was a punctuation error -

Decapitated sheep , heads and naked people.

The barbecue afterwards would be well-stocked. Or did they sell-off the stage to Polish kebab shops?

Jerry_B

Antediluvian
chanubi said:
On the other hand, the eastern european bands have always been more intense that the western... probably something to do with them always seeming ten years behind...
I'd provide some examples, but I grew out of that scene many years ago :rolleyes:
I think the Scandinavian Black Metal scene is far worse - there was the case a few years ago where the members of one band 'ritually' murdered someone, and there's also the way that fans from local biker gangs tend to attack each other with rocket-propelled grenades...!

As for Venom, I think they were from Yorkshire. Not sure tho'.

Alexius4

Justified & Ancient
Perhaps I'm jaded, but it is all a little Spinal Tap, isn't it?

''No one knows 'oo they was, or what they was doin', but their livin' legacy is carved into the livin' stone of...Stone 'enge''....

Jerry_B

Antediluvian
Oh yeah, Venom were definitely in the Spinal Tap vein. Mind you, when I was into heavy metal the fact that it was all tongue-in-cheek passed me by initially, as did Spinal Tap. I kid you not! As they were doing things only slightly more daft than the norm for the heavy metal scene, it was perhaps a bit too subtle. Bad News were more obvious of course. I guess the joke just hasn't sunk in for some people.

A

Anonymous

JerryB said:
I think the Scandinavian Black Metal scene is far worse - there was the case a few years ago where the members of one band 'ritually' murdered someone, and there's also the way that fans from local biker gangs tend to attack each other with rocket-propelled grenades...!
Another norwegian band (or maybe it's the same; they seem to have the same fondness for sheep) Slaughter a <i>living</i> sheep onstage, cuts it up and throws the peices out into the audience at their conserts. Last year, they hit a guy with the sheep's head so badly that he had to go to the hospital...

As a scandinavian, I don't quite see what all the fuss is about, apart from the possible cruelty to animals... If they want to cover themselves in blood and sing really bad songs, I'm not about to stop them. But I can see why others might get upset.

And it's true that Hell's Angels and Bandidos, along with their pals, have used rocket-propelled grenades against each other here. However, I don't think there's any real connection between the Black Metal scene and the biker groups... They tend to keep apart.

A

Anonymous

It wasn't Mayhem, was it? I remember they had a fondness for pigs' heads at one stage... :cross eye

Vitrius

Devoted Cultist
chanubi said:
It wasn't Mayhem, was it? I remember they had a fondness for pigs' heads at one stage... :cross eye
Yep, it was Mayhem. Of course, that's not their only run-in with the The Man.

Black metal is very bizarre from an American standpoint. Closest we had before imports was Slayer, and they were Venom-derived and very obviously camp.

Vitrius

Devoted Cultist
JerryB said:
I think this is UL-ish. There was a famous case, again involving Mayhem, where one guy was killed by another black metal guy. It wasn't a ritual killing or anything though, just a basic knifing, and part of the stated reason for the murder was that the deceased was a Satanist and the killer worshipped Norse gods (Jesus, people can bicker over ANY religious difference!).

The guy burned down some very old and historic churches in Norway too. I think that's what most of his sentence is for. He also claims to be a Nazi, but out of all I think his worst offense was making terrible keyboard midis and calling it art.

Jerry_B

Antediluvian
Yes, that's why I wrote it as 'ritually'. I seem to recall that was how the event was painted by some sources.

A

Anonymous

Vitrius said:
I think this is UL-ish. There was a famous case, again involving Mayhem, where one guy was killed by another black metal guy. It wasn't a ritual killing or anything though, just a basic knifing, and part of the stated reason for the murder was that the deceased was a Satanist and the killer worshipped Norse gods (Jesus, people can bicker over ANY religious difference!).
This was the murder of Euronymous, I take it... That was all about politics within the scene, as I recall. The initial excuse was that he owed a fairly small amount of cash to his attacker (ex-bassist for the band), as they were both satanists at the time, the religious excuse didn't come up until about eighteen months later, when the attacker converted in prison to far-right neo-nazi paganism.

Vitrius

Devoted Cultist
chanubi said:
This was the murder of Euronymous, I take it... That was all about politics within the scene, as I recall. The initial excuse was that he owed a fairly small amount of cash to his attacker (ex-bassist for the band), as they were both satanists at the time, the religious excuse didn't come up until about eighteen months later, when the attacker converted in prison to far-right neo-nazi paganism.
Sort of. It was something about Euronymous' label and Varg's(the killer) Burzum band. I think Varg had been talking about paganism for a while though. I know almost immediately after the murder, he was saying he killed the guy because he watched snuff flicks and "worshipped a Christian god(Satan)."

Vitrius

Devoted Cultist
Oh, just read tonight in a bass guitar magazine that Venom were from Newcastle. Too bad, since I was enjoying associating them with those adorable little terriers.

A

Anonymous

Vitrius said:
Oh, just read tonight in a bass guitar magazine that Venom were from Newcastle. Too bad, since I was enjoying associating them with those adorable little terriers.
What a coincidence.

I've just started listening to 'The Best of Lindisfarne'.

A

Anonymous

Well, It's Alright, Lady Eleanor...

Subject: Re: Lady Eleanor (Lindisfarne)

This is entirely from memory, and I never could get some of the words:

Lady Eleanor
Lindisfarne

Tuning: Standard EADGBE

Playing: Bar chords, E shapes:
Bm = Em bar 7
G = E bar 3
A = E bar 5

Intro: alternating Em, Bm

Verse 1:

Em Bm
Nasty fey magicians sit in lotus on the floor
Em Bm
Belly-dancing beauties and their power-laden swords
Em Bm
Hide my didn't think it could be much more
G A Bm . . . <- fade
When in walked with the Lady Eleanor.

Verse 2:

She tied my eyes with a ribbon of a silken ghostly thread,
I gazed with troubled vision on an old four-poster bed
Where Eleanor had risen to kiss the neck below my head
And bid me come along with her to the land of the dancing dead,

Chorus:

G A Bm
But it's al - right, Lady Eleanor,
G A Bm
Al - right, Lady Eleanor,
G A E Esus4 E Esus4
I'm alright where I am.

[ a bit of tab (bass-line):

e--------|--------|
B--------|--------|
G--------|--------|
D----2---|----9---|
A---2-2--|---9-9--|
E0-----0-|7-----7-|
slide
tab ends]

Verse 3:

She gazed with a love and beauty, like a mother to a son,
Like live and die, and see and be, and all rolled into one,
Then all at once I heard some music playing in my bones,
The same old song I'd heard for years, reminding me of home,

Chorus, [tab].

Verse 4:

Then creeping on towards me with their lips with tongues of fire
A host of golden demons screaming "Lust!" and "Base desire!"
And when it seemed for certain that their screams could get no higher
I heard a voice above the rest, screaming "You're a liar!"

But it's alright, Lady Eleanor,
Alright, Lady Eleanor,
G A [E(bar7) Bm] <- ???
I'm alright here in your arms....

Dexter N. Muir Manufacturing Pilot Plant Technician
[email protected] Department of Production Technology
Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand

_Gnomey_

Junior Acolyte
Vitrius said:
He also claims to be a Nazi, but out of all I think his worst offense was making terrible keyboard midis and calling it art.
Hehehe, that's so true, Burzums latest albums have been very dodgy indeed. Then again, when you're recording the album in jail with only a keyboard, I suppose you can't expect much.
A bit off topic, but Varg recently made an escape from jail but was caught near the Swedish border. He's now looking at another possible 12 years for armered robbery when he stole a families car that he was using to get to Sweden.

And as for Gorgoroth, they're a bunch of dickheads who try way too hard to seem Satanic and play very average Black Metal. Give me Satyricon, Burzum and Emperor any day:D Oh, and one of Gorgoroths old vocalists was known as Hat. Yes, Hat.

Death Metallers causing trouble

Just a general thread for those whacky funster -esp. the Scandinavian ones who are properly nuts.

I enjoyed this report - getting his Mum to come to court and saying what a good boy he really is (or at least that he doesn't eat innards):

Black metal vocalist faces prison

First published: 28 Apr 2004, 18:03

Vocalist 'Gaahl' (photo) of Satanist band Gorgoroth faces prison after being accused of beating a 41-year-old man in what the victim called a ritual attack. Gaahl, 28, faced up to a nine-year sentence for threats and violence, but the prosecution asked for 18 months as the lurid trial headed to a close on Wednesday.

The victim, who has been on sick leave for the past two years after the alleged attack, accused the black metal singer of performing ritual violence that included tapping off his blood and drinking it, newspaper VG reports.

Gaahl's mother testified during the trial and found the accusation of blood drinking particularly hard to believe.

"My son is a vegetarian and very fussy about food. He eats absolutely no innards. That is why I do not believe this at all," Gaahl's mother told the court.

According to the charges the 41-year-old was hit and kicked several times in the face and head and needed stitches to close cuts in his head. His nose was broken and he suffered major dental damage.

Gaahl, who has several prior convictions including one for assault and battery, claimed that he acted in self-defense. The defendant was allowed to testify about his private life in a closed session at Sunnfjord court.

The Gorgoroth web site noted that the local community had 'pre-judged' their vocalist, and did not expect a fair trial.
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article783522.ece

Emps

An earlier report on the same band - not what one might expect from a veggie:

First published: 04 Feb 2004, 12:11

Norwegian black metal band Gorgoroth staged a special concert that made Janet Jackson's breast-baring look like nursery school antics and left Catholic Poland outraged. A police investigation has begun after a show that included dozens of sheep heads on stakes, a literal blood bath and a naked, crucified woman, newspaper VG reports.

Gorgoroth's concert in Krakow was recorded by state TV station TVP and the resulting scandal was the center of attention in Polish media. The band is now being investigated for causing religious offense, which can be punished by two years in prison.

The police are also considering an investigation of cruelty to animals.

"On stage there was blood everywhere. About ten decapitated sheep heads and naked people, alive, on large crosses. Everyone was painted with 100 liters of sheep blood. Also there were Satanist symbols everywhere. One of the hanging female models fainted and an ambulance had to be called," TVP director Andrzej Jeziorek told VG.

Jeziorek said that the TVP staff were terrified and reported the show to police.

"This kind of thing should not happen on state TV and especially not in Krakow, which is the Pope's city," Jeziorek said. Jeziorek wanted to halt the concert but feared a riot from enthusiastic, bloodied fans who had paid for tickets.

The band were recording a concert DVD and had promised fans a very special show in Poland, and had rigged the stage behind curtains to keep the content secret.

Recent troubles with sects and Satanist groups have made the issue especially sensitive in Poland.
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article783522.ece

Emps

Onix_Martinez

Abominable Snowman
I should point that they are a black metal band, not a death metal band. Black metal is more about the Satanic side of things and Death metal ussually talks about death (duh!), evisceration, corruption, smelly body fluids and all that nice stuff. Musically, they can be very similar. By the way, I don't like Gorgoroth at all, there are better satanic bands out there. Arcturus and Mayhem are good examples of the genre.

Mighty_Emperor

Beloved of Ra
Mayhem fan hit by sheep-head

Norwegian black metal band Mayhem is known for hurling animal parts into its concert audiences, but things went wrong at a performance last week. A 25-year-old fan in Bergen landed in the hospital after getting hit by a sheep's head.

The black metal band "Mayhem" is known for flinging animal parts into its audience.

Per Kristian Hagen is recovering from emergency surgery and taking the incident in good humour, but he's filed a police report against Mayhem even though he otherwise enjoyed their show.

"If it turns out I've got permanent injuries after this, it's important to have some sort of record to refer to," Hagen told local newspaper Bergensavisen. "I'll have to file a claim for lost income, since I can't work for awhile."

Hagen concedes he must be one of the unluckiest Mayhem fans in the country. He'd heard rumors that the band dismembered dead animals on stage and threw their body parts into the audience. He found out the rumors were true.

The band usually is said to dismember pigs, but last week it opted for a sheep. "I was standing near the mixing board and talking with a friend," Hagen recalls. "Suddenly I was hit in the head and knocked out. I don't remember seeing the sheep's head flying at me. I just remember I woke up on the floor."

He ended up at Haukeland Hospital in Bergen, where doctors diagnosed a fractured skull near the temple. He underwent surgery on Friday.

Hagen said he hasn't heard anything from the band, "but maybe they weren't aware of what happened." He still likes their music and now hopes to recover before Ralph Myerz & The Jack Herren Band start their concert tour.

Hagen is irritated over one thing, though: Doctors had to shave off half of his long dark hair before they could patch him up. "Now I'll probably have to shave the rest of it off, too" he groaned
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article505796.ece

And I'm sure this is the first similar injury.

Emps

TheQuixote

Justified & Ancient
That reminds me of when I saw Nine Inch Nails in 1994 being supported by a band called 'Pig' or something like that.

The support band had real pig heads on sticks as part of their stage show and at the end of the night when the bands were getting into their tour buses they handed out the heads to anybody who wanted them and who were waiting at the backstage entrance, they were going to be thrown away as they were quite nasty after spending the better part of 5 hours un-refridgerated.

One of my friends got a lovely pighead much to everybody's annoyance, it ended up being thrown into the local constabulary carpark.

I did not condone my friend's behaviour, namely because we had to run like hell after he had done it.

A

Anonymous

Ok.... so the vocalist is a veggie???

Eating animals is bad? Putting their heads on sticks in a live performance and being drenched in animal blood is okay ??

Boy id like to hear his " why are you a veggie" arguments...

StoryofE

Ephemeral Spectre
Anybody here read Lords of Chaos by Michael Moynihan and Didrik Soderlind? Interesting book about the black metal scene in the early 90's and the crimes surrounding it.

I would have to say that my fave disc of this genre is Emperor's Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk. I would love if someone would tell me what a 'welkin' is!