Thor's Black, Death & Viking Metal Thrash Thread

chris138

Ephemeral Spectre
I don't know how many of you have heard of Send More Paramedics a now defunct zombie inspired thrash band that were from Leeds.

Their band name is taken from ROTLD and actually some of their opening riffs and guitar parts are lifted from the music of classic zombie films. I love zombie films and thrash so, I was in heaven (hell, really) when I found this band. So try a couple of songs please or I'll eat your brains!!

chris138

Ephemeral Spectre
By god you must be deaf, Dr. Porhoet. :p

My friend had an old tape years ago we used to play to death....russian thrash metal. Oh boy! MASTER!!

Me like, but it's a bit stimulating for this time of night. I'm trying to find a way of combining drinking chocolate, ovaltine, red wine, gin and camomile tea into a soporific bedtime health drink. Not working so far...

More music then!

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
A bit too slick, this one? The musicianship is great. I don't understand the tempo.

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
Ihsahn, the only man I have ever impaled myself upon, in a non sexual way (his armour in the late 90s, shoulder spike do rather get in the way of a good cuddle!)

Bless him!

that "E" was my first ever tattoo! I didn't go mad afterwards, only three more after that one! Happy days!

Attachments

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
Seeing as Ed has now gone to bed...
When my mother died there was quite the police presence in the house. I had changed into a full black metal outfit and the policeman who was getting the details was, according to my fiancé, very distracted by my t-shirt. He couldn't read the name of the band: Enslaved. He and I did have a lovely conversation about metal when he decided to take me and Darren for a drive in the police car whilst the undertakers were doing their thing at the house.

The album that we were listening to began with this...
I do miss being entirely that person! I miss people coming up to me in shops and asking about the make-up. I miss trying to explain the poetry within Emperor's music. I even sort of miss the threat of violence because I used to wear a Mayhem t-shirt when my fiancé was wearing a Burzum t-shirt (apparently it was my fault that Varg was in prison!) Awesome music, if slightly deranged.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Got onto this via CJ's Sunn O))) video on the music thread. Stablemates. Will turn this right up when I have the house to myself next. Love the album cover.

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Got onto this via CJ's Sunn O))) video on the music thread. Stablemates. Will turn this right up when I have the house to myself next. Love the album cover.

Nice....Sleep were great...did some fine, fine work.

After they split the guitarist went on to form High On Fire -

I only really liked their first album, from which this if from.

While the bassist and drummer went on to form the Sunn-like Om, whom I enjoy very, very much -

Soooooooooooooo good.

Putting this here because its part of the "Moral Panic" against Metal. In this case The Sun are using it to attack Richard Burgon MP. Completely made up bollocks.

From the paper that brought you Kelvin MacKenzie, Hillsborough lies and a racist attack yesterday on Ross Barkley we now have.......

The Sun today claims (and we all know how dedicated they are to truthful and objective reporting) that I am involved in some sort of neo-Nazi musical, the Sun's Political Editor declaring "Labour's Shadow Justice Secretary faces fury for joining heavy metal band that uses Nazi iconography".

Where to begin? Well, I love heavy metal and have done ever since I first heard Iron Maiden when I was just 8 years old.

The other week, a local Leeds band - the wonderfully-named 'Dream Troll', whose members I've known since we were all heavy metal obsessed teenagers - asked me, for a bit of fun, to do a guest appearance on their new song, reading a few lines to add dramatic effect to a classic swords and sorcery style heavy metal narrative.

According to The Sun today, it turns out these blokes I've known for more than half my life are not ordinary, decent lads from Leeds but are closet neo-Nazis. So whilst I'm vilified in The Sun for being a dangerous left wing extremist, I am at the same time cozying up to dedicated fascists in my spare time.

What utter, utter rubbish.

So. Let's let the truth intrude upon this ridiculous story......

I grew up in Leeds with members of this band. I have known them since we were teenagers. They are not politicians. They play in a (non political) heavy metal band for fun after work and on weekends. They are ordinary decent blokes and there's not a racist or Nazi bone in their bodies. For being friends with me, they now find themselves seen by The Sun as a legitimate target for public attack. That's just not right.

The Sun claims that they are "a heavy metal band that delights in Nazi symbols". The Sun has even got a Conservative MP to issue a statement, denouncing me in the most serious terms for being friends with the members of this band.

The Sun bases its accusations on an image I hadn't seen before - a mock-up record cover the band made that says "Dream Troll - We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Troll". According to The Sun, the fonts used in the image show this is a group of people that "delights in Nazi symbols". The real story is, they made a spoof / parody of the cover of a famous Black Sabbath record from the 1970s ("Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Souls For Rock 'N' Roll"). I've added the Leeds band's parody / spoof cover and the original Black Sabbath cover to this Facebook post too so you can have a look and compare the two. They are fans of Black Sabbath not neo-nazis. Before The Sun went to print, they were sent a copy of the Black Sabbath record cover, but they responded by dismissing its relevance to their 'story'. In other articles, The Sun has praised Black Sabbath as "legends" and an "iconic rock band" - a rare occasion of decent reporting from The Sun. ...

Richard Burgon

https://www.facebook.com/richardburgonmp/posts/1868190660122543

Relevant images:

https://www.facebook.com/richardburgonmp/photos/pcb.1868190660122543/1868190646789211/?type=3

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Me like, but it's a bit stimulating for this time of night. I'm trying to find a way of combining drinking chocolate, ovaltine, red wine, gin and camomile tea into a soporific bedtime health drink. Not working so far...

More music then!

I'm no doctor but I'm fairly sure that mixture will give you the shits and a liver that will try and sue you.

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
^^ A life-changing album for me.

They never topped it. In fact they got pretty awful after it. But that if pure sonic, crushing savagery.

They pretty much split after that - Electric Wizard got shit and the better half went on to form the mighty Ramesses -

I'm no doctor but I'm fairly sure that mixture will give you the shits and a liver that will try and sue you.
Yes. Now perhaps is the time to admit that the experiment was quickly abandoned for a number of complex scientific reasons far too technical to address here. Also couldn't think of a catchy name.

Back to the drawing board...and the peanut butter laced with Tramadol.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Gaahl
Hang in there for the punchline folks. I guarantee you won't sleep for a month afterwards.

A comment from a Youtuber:

electric_magnetic
1 year ago
The problem with Satanism is that it gives licence to people who are not all that balanced mentally to commit bad things. Satanism is not for the masses, it's a very complex understanding of what being a man, or human if you will actually is. That's why Christianity and monotheistic religions work, as he said it has the Father figure or rather a parental figure, what we all can relate to at its center. We grow up surrounded by authority and feel very vulnerable when left alone. That's the teaching of Satanism, to rely on ourselves, look at ourselves and not seek our the crowd in order to feel safe. Be strong within yourself. Again, what he's saying has a lot truth to it however it takes a level of self-loathing and self-hatred, to measure closer on the psychotic end of the scale to be as angry and beyond control to burn down churches and torture people. That's a psychotic trait and contrary to popular belief many psychopaths are quite intelligent people. I personally don't listen to this kind of music but I do respect the point that they're trying to make. It's somewhat heart-tearing when you don't see yourself as the part of the crowd and are constantly labeled as a weirdo and freak. When you realise how asleep and lulled into this life of consumerism everyone is.