Thor's Black, Death & Viking Metal Thrash Thread

They've a gig here tomorrow night. Half a mind to go, but the day being 39 degrees Celsius isn't motivating me much.

Furthermore, I've skirted this band thinking they were a lesser Metallica, and I now see the error of my prejudice. They are actually a far more proficient Slayer. I've tried to get into Slayer a few times and it hasn't connected, but Sodom fills me up. Time to get into heavy again. This is the pure stuff.

Onya, Nils. :nods::thrash:

Furthermore, I've skirted this band thinking they were a lesser Metallica, and I now see the error of my prejudice. They are actually a far more proficient Slayer. I've tried to get into Slayer a few times and it hasn't connected, but Sodom fills me up. Time to get into heavy again. This is the pure stuff.

Onya, Nils. :nods::thrash:
I'll start up an Irish tribute band for them: Sodom & Begorrah.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
this next one is not exactly death metal, but you know, monster magnet is rocking that hard regular music charts don't deal with it. let me just drop this one here, if anybody thinks it doesn't belong here, I will take it elsewhere, just let me know..

Always up for a bit of MM!

This one was always my least favourite of the "Canonical Four" albums, the plinky-plonky prison albums are boring and don't count, nor do the bland post-prison albums; they're like The Star Wars Holiday Special and Prequels in relation to the original trilogy.

Good news for Death Metal Fans!

Headbangers who revel in the sometimes gruesome lyrics of death metal bands are no more desensitised to violence than those who prefer upbeat pop tunes, according to a new study.

The report by researchers at Macquarie University in Sydney, published in the Royal Society Open Science journal, was based on a classic psychological experiment in which volunteers are simultaneously shown an innocuous image in one eye and and a shocking or violent one in the other.

Past results show that participants tend to be drawn to the violent image, which scientists have theorised could be the result of an innate survival mechanism alerting humans to potential threats.

For the new study, researchers repeated the experiment with a musical accompaniment.

The volunteers, made up of 32 death metal fans and 48 people with no interest in the genre, viewed the image sets while listening to either Pharrell Williams’ chirpy pop hit Happy or a track called Eaten by Swedish death metal band Bloodbath.

The song, inspired by real-life German cannibal Armin Meiwes, includes the refrain: “Carve me up, slice me apart / Suck my guts and lick my heart / Chop me up, I like to be hurt / Drink my marrow and blood for dessert”.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/100181/no...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Lords Of Chaos: When Death Metal wasn't enough, Black Metal burst forth from The Brow Of Satan! Well it really came from the attic of a middle class Norwegian family home where spoiled son Euronymous (Rory Culkin) practices with his band Mayhem. Determined to outrage he adopts Satanic motifs and refers to Death Metal as Life Metal. An applicant for lead singer, Dead (Jack Kilmer) sends in a crucified mouse along with a demo tape. Dead cuts himself on stage and throws pigs heads into the audience at gigs. He collects roadkill and hates cats, even hanging them in his bedroom. His suicide is used by Euronymous to further publicise Mayhem.

Euronymous is very much a mouth though, doing outrageous things, but always to advance his profile. Along comes Varg (Emory Cohen) a talented singer and musician. Varg however is genuine in his deranged beliefs which form a synthesis of Satanism, Paganism and Nazi Ideology, his attitude to his enemies is to: "gas them in the showers". He resorts to church burning to promote his new album and thus begins a circle of real mayhem and violence.

Dead, Varg and their circle (The Black Circle) meet in the basement of Dead's record store but even this venture is funded by Dead's parents and the launch of Varg's first album is funded by his mother. They never really broke the links with the society they professed to despise and supposedly wished to destroy. The difference between Dead and Varg becomes more obvious as Varg's extreme stunts head off the scale. They battle for supremacy within The Black Circle but the victory of Varg could lead to the end of everything for them.

Some really disturbing scenes of animal abuse (undoubtedly faked) which the vast majority of Death/Black/Heavy Metal, Hardcore and Punk fans would not approve of. And this is the only audience which would truly understand Lords Of Chaos. SCenes of burning churches will also disturb many, especially seeing as they were mostly old wood chapels, works of historical, even archaeological significance. But well filmed scenes nevertheless and one of them had been built on the site of an Altar of Odin, so few tears on my part for that one.

A film about what transpires when fantasy meets reality. Director and writer Jonas Åkerlund has delivered a powerful but disturbing film about the birth of Black Metal. 8/10.

Last edited:
Another review of Lords of Chaos which on this occasion delves more deeply into the motivations and beliefs of Varg and Euronymous.

Blood, fire, death
Review of Lords of chaos, directed by Jonas Åkerlund and out on general release

The story of the Norwegian black-metal band, Mayhem, is unusual. Its first long-term vocalist - the aptly nicknamed ‘Dead’ (Per Yngve Ohlin) - shot himself in the head, putting an end to years of crippling depression and self-harm. Later the band was joined by a bassist called ‘Varg’ (born Kristian Vikernes), who allegedly initiated a wave of Christian church burnings, earning the early-90s Norwegian black-metal scene international notoriety. Before Mayhem’s debut album was even released, Varg stabbed the guitarist and band leader, ‘Euronymous’ (Øystein Aarseth), to death in what he claims was “self-defence” - he delivered 23 stab wounds, including two to the head. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (1994) is probably the only album in music history where a murderer and his victim can be heard playing together.

https://weeklyworker.co.uk/worker/1245/blood-fire-death/

Another review of Lords of Chaos which on this occasion delves more deeply into the motivations and beliefs of Varg and Euronymous.

Blood, fire, death
Review of Lords of chaos, directed by Jonas Åkerlund and out on general release

The story of the Norwegian black-metal band, Mayhem, is unusual. Its first long-term vocalist - the aptly nicknamed ‘Dead’ (Per Yngve Ohlin) - shot himself in the head, putting an end to years of crippling depression and self-harm. Later the band was joined by a bassist called ‘Varg’ (born Kristian Vikernes), who allegedly initiated a wave of Christian church burnings, earning the early-90s Norwegian black-metal scene international notoriety. Before Mayhem’s debut album was even released, Varg stabbed the guitarist and band leader, ‘Euronymous’ (Øystein Aarseth), to death in what he claims was “self-defence” - he delivered 23 stab wounds, including two to the head. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (1994) is probably the only album in music history where a murderer and his victim can be heard playing together.

https://weeklyworker.co.uk/worker/1245/blood-fire-death/
Interesting review, a friend presented a screening and his description piqued my interest enough to consider seeing it in the cinema, I've since seen some clips online and immediately thought "fuck that", it was intentionally awkward, almost like The Office. It's a story that didn't need to be dramatised and frankly I don't need to hear/see again. The documentary Until the Light Takes Us, is a better document of the 90s Norwegian scene, though not sure if I'd watch that again as Varg's tediously productive youtube channel has transformed him from "eccentric, articulate, outsider bellend" to "boring, pompous, pretentious, elderly, disingenuous, attention whore", in perfect alignment with Poe's Law it's like a satire of Varg.