• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Those darned Moon bases.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I suppose this has been covered here before, possibly many times, but here is the question any way.

Does any of the present members believe that there are secret bases on the dark side of the Moon ?

It seems quite popular on some sites.

INT21

Are you asking about alien bases or secret human bases? Both ideas seem popular.

The moon doesn't seem to be a very friendly environment for life.

I suppose this has been covered here before, possibly many times, but here is the question any way.

Does any of the present members believe that there are secret bases on the dark side of the Moon ?

INT21

I have a holiday dome there; its great for amateur astronomy.

My mate Dave insists nobody went to the moon as it's too far and there's too much radiation in space. On the other hand he also insists there have been bases on Mars since the early 60s.
:huh:

I've no intention of asking him for further info because if you get into a conversation with him you can feel your brain cells dying.

I think it's not beyond the realms of possibility that there's a base on the Moon (most likely abandoned from an earlier, possibly alien, civilisation).
However, I don't actually believe there is. :)

Andrew Basiago.
He puzzles me. A clever man, and a successful lawyer. Why would he just make up stuff?

...Andrew Basiago.

He puzzles me. A clever man, and a successful lawyer. Why would he just make up stuff?.

I just looked at this mans wiki.

And it seems you had more than one nut job running for president.

What may be more worrying is how can a person who expounds such beliefs possibly be considered a suitable person to serve in a profession where his arguments and the way he talks can mean the difference between jail and freedom for people.

INT21

I have a holiday dome there; its great for amateur astronomy.

I see what you did there, and it's totally-hemispherical.

The whole idea of someone possessing a second dome, a vacation variation, brings us around to a little world of globe-like problems, all of which need to be kept in proportion. But it's not total lunacy.

Another common moon commodium, putatively (as well as a dome for home) is the puzzling pyramid. Looking on the light side of this, though, we should remember not to be put in the shade when it comes to chosing any crater comforts.

Dark diurnal diana days deep in clanger caverns would drag on, and be neither souper-hot nor cool.

And any sometime-Konig should base his accomodation less initially on the alphabet and place more emphasis upon just maintaining an ordinary orbit.

Andrew Basiago.
He puzzles me. A clever man, and a successful lawyer. Why would he just make up stuff?

Because he's
kuku.gif

INT21

Of course there is the theory that the Moon is hollow and the whole thing is an alien base.

Jimv1,

And, of course, some people think the Earth is also hollow.

INT21

As much as I dislike Trump, he seems fairly sane.

I love the idea of there being moon bases from alien civilisations. I like watching those weird videos on Youtube showing buildings, pipes, objects etc.

The only thing that niggles me is that in terms of space, time and distance, when compared to the vastness of space, the moon and the earth is more or less the same place. From our earthy perspective, the moon (or Mars) seems distant enough to be exotic and maybe be a place the aliens have established themselves. But really, after travelling all that way, why would you build a base on the moon instead of earth?

Andrew Basiago.
Maybe he's friends with masturbating Bigfoot guy?
Antenna on the Moon
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-UFO-hunter-claims-alien-antenna-surface.html
...an article that ignores the fact that the shadow points in a different direction from all the other shadows in that image. The Mail is an appalling newspaper.
Clear evidence of a second light source on Kubrick's set.

I love the idea of there being moon bases from alien civilisations. I like watching those weird videos on Youtube showing buildings, pipes, objects etc.

The only thing that niggles me is that in terms of space, time and distance, when compared to the vastness of space, the moon and the earth is more or less the same place. From our earthy perspective, the moon (or Mars) seems distant enough to be exotic and maybe be a place the aliens have established themselves. But really, after travelling all that way, why would you build a base on the moon instead of earth?
Lower escape velocity on the Moon makes it easier to take off; you could mine the Moon and export material much more easily than exporting material from the Earth (or from Venus, or even Mars).

Note that if an alien base had been built at any time in the last three billion years on the Moon, there would probably be some evidence of it. A three-billion-year-old alien base on Earth would almost certainly have been eroded to nothing or subducted by now.

Maybe they have an equivalent of Star Trek's Prime Directive.

Lower escape velocity on the Moon makes it easier to take off; you could mine the Moon and export material much more easily than exporting material from the Earth (or from Venus, or even Mars).

Note that if an alien base had been built at any time in the last three billion years on the Moon, there would probably be some evidence of it. A three-billion-year-old alien base on Earth would almost certainly have been eroded to nothing or subducted by now.
If they can get here and build a base, I'm not sure the gravity well would be a problem for them.

It's a matter of economics. Why mine a planet at the bottom of a deep gravity well when many of the same materials are available on the Moon and are much easier to access? Even a civilisation with plentiful energy would usually choose the cheaper option.

They could be cheese mining.

It's a matter of economics. Why mine a planet at the bottom of a deep gravity well when many of the same materials are available on the Moon and are much easier to access? Even a civilisation with plentiful energy would usually choose the cheaper option.

It would be a matter of economics for us but again, if they are capable of travelling across universes they would probably have found a source of these materials earlier.

I am of the opinion that IF there has been someone there, it is an observational outpost from thwere they keep an eye on us.

I would guess that interstellar economics dictates that travellers 'live off the land', so to speak; instead of bringing raw materials with them from distant stars, they would use local materials for fuel, repairs and building materials. Similarly they would tend to take matter from easy sources, such as moons and asteroids, rather than descending to the bottom of gravity wells for the same materials.

One possible source of volatile materials like oxygen, carbon and nitrogen would be the top of Venus' atmosphere, while water vapour could be taken from Earth's atmosphere using atmospheric scoops. But more solid materials need to be mined, and the Moon is a good location for this.

Last edited:
I would guess that interstellar economics dictates that travellers 'live off the land', so to speak; instead of bringing raw materials with them from distant stars, they would use local materials for fuel, repairs and building materials. Similarly they would tend to take matter from easy sources, such as moons and asteroids, rather than descending to the bottom of gravity wells for the same materials.

One possible source of volatile materials like oxygen, carbon and nitrogen would be the top of Venus' atmosphere' water vapour could be taken from Earth's atmosphere using atmospheric scoops. But more solid materials need to be mined, and the Moon is a good location for this.
I think that's exactly what advanced aliens travelling far from home would do, yes.

One possible source of volatile materials like oxygen, carbon and nitrogen would be the top of Venus' atmosphere' water vapour could be taken from Earth's atmosphere using atmospheric scoops. But more solid materials need to be mined, and the Moon is a good location for this.
Hmmm... How do these 'Atmospheric Scoops' work, exactly...?

INT21

Just an astronomical point which we might as well clear up. There is no dark side of the Moon - think about it.

There is a side that faces Earth and a side that faces away.

Pink Floyd were wrong! Sorry about that...

BBrain

Atmospheric scoops are rather technical but this sums it up well I think:

latest

File:Mega-Maid.jpg

Last edited:
BBrain,

I think we know, or should know, that there is no actual dark side. It is just a convention to refer to the unseen (from Earth) side as 'Dark'.

Pink Floyd also refer to a trip to Sirius Minor; but I doubt they actually mean it.

INT21

Back