• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Thoughts on Aliens (1963)

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
From the Cydonian Imperative website comes this 1963 memo from the Presidential office.

The (embedded) link is dead. The text to which it led:

Memorandum From Maxwell W. Hunter II of the National Aeronautics and Space Council (Executive Office of the President) to Robert F. Packard of the Office of International Scientific Affairs
Washington, July 18, 1963.

... can be accessed at the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20090430080926/http://www.presidentialufo.com/alien_question.htm

There are thoughts on the possibilty of Martians mining the Moon, as well as speculation about really advanced civilizations with faster-than-light abilities. (This was written years before the Moon landings in '69, note.)

One or two comments will probably raise a smile too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the moon have even have any usefull minerals?? But then again we dont know if
the martians have ways of modifying regular dust and rocks as sources for energy.
The "faster than light" tag line reminds me of the shadow people, but if they are in fact
martians they wouldn't need to mine, because they are allegedlly extra-dimensional creatures
and wouldn't need any physical energy devices, because they arnt physical beings.
Does that make any sense?:D

I love Hunter's final comments in the 1963 memo ...

Conclusions

Although all plausible scientific thinking suggests that we will not find any other intelligence race, the probability that we will is finite, and perhaps should not be completely ignored. Were we to find one, the question of whether it was a race with primitive chemical space flight, space flight equivalent to our best understanding of nuclear energy, or space flight based on physics beyond Einstein should be ascertained as rapidly as possible, since our policies would be affected in the most drastically possible way. In any event, a policy of the immediate burying of all Terrestrial hatchets would likely be in order. Even if we only found tame chemical Martians, or merely the debris from some intergalactic survey mission, it would be a good idea to proceed on the assumption that the human race would finally have found a bigger problem than the ones it has created for itself. There likely is nothing to be done at the moment to prepare for these possibilities (the only body of writing on the subject available in an emergency is science fiction), because no one of consequence is going to take this rubbish seriously unless it happens. At that point, our policy will be determined in the traditional manner of grand panic.

Grand panic...that sounds about right....btw love the fact that this was bumped from almost 17 years ago.
;)
ps: I noticed two alien/ufo threads were locked for no apparent reason...why?

Last edited:
ps: I noticed two alien/ufo threads were locked for no apparent reason...why?

They (and perhaps others to follow ... ) are offline pending the removal of unjustifiably extensive tangents from an IHTM thread and migration of the pollutants to more appropriate locations.

They (and perhaps others to follow ... ) are offline pending the removal of unjustifiably extensive tangents from an IHTM thread and migration of the pollutants to more appropriate locations.
'Unjustifiably extensive tangets'...?
Can you rewrite that in English..?

';)

Back