• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Threadfinder General: Lost Threads Located

Did we have some discussion of a preserved body (likely in a peat bog) where the DNA was matched to somebody living very close to the location in which the body was found?

I can't recall enough details to locate it, and it isn't on the 'Bog Bodies' thread.
Do you have a sense of how long ago it was when you saw it here on the forum?

Last edited:
I remember the Cheddar Gorge Man story (long before I knew of this forum), it had taken 9000 years for his descendant to move 10 miles away.

I remember the Cheddar Gorge Man story (long before I knew of this forum), it had taken 9000 years for his descendant to move 10 miles away.

That's the one.

The original story was from 1997, but I was certain we'd discussed it here.

Perhaps I was wrong, or perhaps it has been lost.

Do we have a "Dogs and people, wot are they like?" thread, or is there just* the cat thread.

* I say "just", I'm very much a cat fan, and consider this state of affairs to be not unjust.

No, we don't have a general dogs / canines thread analogous to the Cats & People thread. Otherwise, there are about as many threads about dogs as about cats.

Why might that be? ...

Perhaps interestingly, there are more threads about specific uses for - and different types of relationships with - dogs than cats. Examples include discussions about dogs' reactions to Fortean phenomena, sniffer dogs, tracker dogs, hunting dogs, etc. This may be a clue.

Consider this ... We have a thread on the co-evolution of humans and dogs, but there's no analogous thread for cats. This is probably another clue.

Humans and dogs have a history of partnerships and collaborations which helps explain the many different topics involving dogs and people. Cats, on the other hand, are basically just "there" - mysterious creatures who are aloof and seem to care not a whit about cooperating, much less collaborating, with humans. This implies there's basically only one general context for discussing cats.

Looking for a thread which is called something like 'things you need to look twice at to understand', the search function is not being forthcoming

We had a thread about how people who have a weird experience together refuse to discuss or even mention it, or seem to forget about it rather than try to process it. Any clues?

Do we have a thread for vulval (?) rather than phallic items? @EnolaGaia

At the organizational level of entire threads ...

There are more threads thematically dedicated to male genitalia (penises; phalluses) than to female genitalia (vaginas; vulvas).

We don't really have any threads dedicated to either genitalia type overall / generally. The threads we do have tend to be framed with respect to specific incidents or examples.

The threads we have that address female genitalia (literally or figuratively) are titled with respect to vaginas rather than vulvas.

Where do I put vulval sculptures? is it the odd sculpture thread - if that is where phallic ones go?

Where do I put vulval sculptures? is it the odd sculpture thread - if that is where phallic ones go?

I'd suggest starting a thread analogous to the one we have for phallic sculptures:

Phallic Statues, Sculptures & Structures
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/phallic-statues-sculptures-structures.63233/

So I've started one ...

Vaginal / Vulval Statues, Sculptures & Structures
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/vaginal-vulval-statues-sculptures-structures.69019/

Last edited:
Did we have a separate thread on the mass celebrity die-off of 2016, or was it all discussed in the RIP thread?

Did we have a separate thread on the mass celebrity die-off of 2016, or was it all discussed in the RIP thread?

My memory is that it was the latter, but that's another thing that seems to be dying off!

No - we don't have a thread dedicated to any perceived mass die-off of celebrities in 2016 or any other year.

The closest analogue is an ancient thread concerning perceived clustering of celebrity deaths:

Celebrity Deaths: Frequency / Clustering
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/celebrity-deaths-frequency-clustering.2940/

Otherwise, any discussion relating to atypically frequent celebrity clog-popping is probably strewn throughout the RIP thread.

I seem to remember we have a thread devoted to crappy reporting and news stories that get basic facts wrong. Do we? Or am I misremembering? Or both?

Back