• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Three-Headed Frog? Nope—It's A Mating Ball

raygirvan: Excellent work picking up the previous case - thats the clincher as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway we can get the info to the editors so they can stay ahead of the curv before publishing this in the next issue?

Oh and:

Maybe it's such a tempting story that the newspapers are cherry-picking their experts to find ones who won't just come out and say it's garbage? I don't know.

As Chris Morris (cake?) has shown you can get people to step forward and say the silliest things so......... How anyone would give a verdict just based on poor quality images I'll never know but there are clearly people out there so hungry for a bit of press or ego stroking they'll go out on a lim like this (although I leave it open that the 'expert' was selectively quoted).

Emps

A lot of kids never even see frogs these days, whenever any of Dane's chums come round to our garden and we find a frog or toad its sometimes the first one they have seen!!
Michael,( hon professor of frogology), by the way did I mention three frogs?.:D

Shirley these kids must have come across frogs on the job before...

Quite probably not - according to listings, Green Umbrella is a day nursery, which means they'd be under 5.

Whatever happened to the concept of a garden pond? We always had one for me to fall in. (only did it once) and yes there were frogs, and toads, and busy one, and frogspawn, etc.

no newts im afraid.

Garden ponds get filled in these days precicly because of kids falling in. Parents don't let their kids wander in the country any more, I spent most of my childhood falling in ponds, out of trees,through ice ,ect. Am also guilty of filling in pond I made in garden,only about 5 foot across and one deep, spawn in it in first year, but then two toddlers so Mrs said it had to go:( .When (if) youngest gets a bit more "danger aware" (he's autistic) then will make a couple of ponds.

maybe we could reclassify this into weird sex on the lines of People Who Lke To Watch Frogs Bonk?

just a thought, need more coffee...

Kath

3 Headed Frog...

2 headed animals seem fairly common as Fortean phenomena go, but 3 heads must be incredibly rare... this one almost looks like it was made out of 3 frogs that some mad vivisectionist fused together... :eek!!!!:

unexplained-mysteries.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=15&pos=105
local6.com/news/2900371/detail.html

The only other report of any 3 headed animal i can recall is an issue of Bizarre magazine i flicked through years ago which had a photo story on an exhibition of freaky reptiles... it featured a supposed 3 headed turtle, but in the photo only 2 heads were seen, apparently the 3rd could no longer come out because "new flesh had grown over where it came out of the shell"... however, there was a big space between the 2 visible heads where it was plausible a 3rd head could go, but i do remember thinking "hmmm, i think this is a 2 headed turtle they have tried to make even more fantastic"...

The most amazing thing for me about this frog tho is how it somehow managed to survive as a 3 headed tadpole...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, didn't see the existing thread, i only looked in Cryptozoology...

I think this picture doesn't look very much like 3 frogs mating... there don't seem to be enough legs, and those there are are pointing in odd directions... the 2 biggest legs are widely separated enough to look like they belong to one, large body to me.

I suppose it could be a 2 headed frog mating with a normal one... :confused:

I know a pond thats full of frogs every year.
I'm off to look for mutants!;)

The only odd thing about these frogs is that the males are as big or bigger than the female.

Last edited by a moderator:
Digging up an old Thread.
Saw a "mating ball" of amphibians while out for a walk yesterday,a few odd things about it.
1) the top one was a male Common Toad (Bufo bufo)
2)it was in a woodland stream,most toads and frogs don't usually spawn in running water.
3)the one on the bottom was a male Marsh Frog (Rana ridibunda)
4)the one in the middle was a male Edible Frog (Rana x esculenta) which is a viable cross between the Marsh frog and the Pool frog (Rana lessonae)

Now,we have Marsh frogs around here,but not Pool frogs !,was also a bit early for the two frogs as they don't normally spawn til at least next month.

All in all a bit unusual.

Puzzle over three-headed frog

Puzzle over three-headed frog
The frog
The three-headed frog has fused bodies and six legs
Children in a nursery were shocked when they spotted a three-headed frog hopping in their garden.

The creature - which has six legs - has stunned a BBC wildlife expert who said it could be an early warning of environmental problems.

Laura Pepper, from the Green Umbrella nursery in Weston-super-Mare, said: "We thought it was three frogs huddled together at first.

"It is very strange. The children couldn't believe it."

Mike Dilger, from the BBC Natural History Unit, said: "I have never seen anything like this.

"Frogs are primitive animals - so the occasional extra toe is not that unusual. But this is very unusual."

All the creature's eyes and legs appear to function normally, but it is not known whether it eats using all three of its mouths.

The amphibian was kept in a container for several hours but hopped away later while nursery staff were showing it to curious parents.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/3534361.stm

How would environmental problems contribute to a frog having 3 heads?

I'm not saying it again !. I dug a new pond in the garden last year,this spring it was swarming with Common Frogs,and yes there were mating balls (no not music and drinks !). There is also two Edible and five Marsh Frogs in it,and bloody hell do they make a racket !.

*shudders*

I really shouldn't look at links like that. The picture's like something from HP Lovecraft only worse :(

If I understand LividBullseye correctly, this was not a three-headed frog, rather a 'mating ball' of ordinary frogs. Or did I misread that altogether...

eburacum said:
If I understand LividBullseye correctly, this was not a three-headed frog, rather a 'mating ball' of ordinary frogs.

Correct.

I'm getting to this thread several years late, I see, but did anyone keep a photo of the frog? Could you post it? I'd like it for my files.

Three headed animals or humans are VERY rare although there are a few cases on record. (See Curiosities of Medicine for human ones.) The humans were always born dead but some of the animals/reptiles, survive for a while. I seem to remember seeing a three-headed snake (photo) once.

It's not a three headed frog................................................ohh I give up...........yep it's a mutant three headed frog, with twelve legs and three bodies all co-joined together..........................there,everyone happy ?....................... :roll:

Here is a copy of the photo appearilng with the original BBC report on this incident.

_39920559_frog.jpg

Back