• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Three Knocks

A

Anonymous

Ok heres the strangest of all my stranges. What on earth are these 3 knocks i keep hearing? Mainly on windows around me. Not just in my house and other houses/buildings but in cars! and worse still taxis...to my embaresment.

I remember once going to the place i worked to hand in my notice. My dad came along with me as i was a little nervous to tell my boss i was finishing to go to a better job. Anyways to cut a long story short just before the taxi was about to come to a halt outside the building of my workplace there were 3 very loud knocks on the window to my right. I almost had an accident in my pants thats how loud they were. My heart was pounding!

I knew straight away what it was just could not believe it was happening to me again but best still with others around me to hear it!

The taxi driver told me not to bang on the window. I laughed and stared at my dad with a confused face as to who did it. As usuall there was no one around. As soon as i heard these loud taps on the window i looked immedieatly expecting to see some one i knew. As usuall there was no one there. It gets better!....the taxi car came to a halt as my journey was over and as i handed over the money to pay the driver there it was a again 3 loud knocks on the window beside me! The taxi driver got such a shock and was in utter confusion as to what it was. With out getting out his car he looked around at all the windows in confusion even checking his mirrors and all.

I had told my dad about the knocks years before this happening and at last he got to hear them! Evidence!

The knocks continued usually at night. I wake up for no reason, the room would feel like it was highly charged is the only way i can explain it. I could hear and feel electricity in the air, static everywhere, so much so that the tv lin my bedroom looked like it was switched on! Then i hear the 3 knocks.

The last static experience was the last time i heard the knocks and I have to admit its been a few years now since that occurance and have not heard any knocks since.

Anyone else had this!?

Macbeth. The knocking he hears in Act 2 (I think) is a portent of his death, although the one doing it is Macduff.

How long ago did it start?

Here's a nice Benjamin Shillaber poem about a strange noise. Not entirely relevant but there's some beautiful wordplay.

Late one evening I was sitting, gloomy shadows round
Me flitting,--
Mrs. Partington, a-knitting occupied the grate before;
Suddenly I heard a patter, a slight and very trifling matter,
As if it were a thieving rat or mouse within my closet door;
A thieving and mischievous rat or mouse within my closet
Door,--Only this, and nothing more.

Then all my dreaminess forsook me; rising up, I straight-
Way shook me,
A light from off the table took, and swift the rat’s dstruc-tion swore;
Mrs. P. smiled approbation on my prompt determination,
And without more hesitation oped I wide the closet door;
Boldly, without hesitation opened wide the closet door;
Darkness there, and nothing more!

As upon the sound I pondered, what the deuce it was I
Wondered;
Could it be my ear had blundered, as at times it had
Before?

But scarce again was I reseated, ere I heard the sound repeated,
The same dull patter that had greeted me from out the
Closet door;
The same dull patter that had greeted me from out the closet door;
A gentle patter, nothing more.

Then my rage arose unbounded,--"What," cried I, "is
This confounded
Noise with which my ear is wounded—noise I’ve never
Heard before?
If’t is presage dread of evil, if’t is made by ghost or devil,
I call on ye to be more civil—" stop that knocking at the
Door!’
Stop that strange mysterious knocking there, within my closet door;
Grant me this, if nothing more."

Once again I seized the candle, rudely grasped the
Latchet’s handle,
Savage as a Goth or Vandal, that kicked up rumpuses of
Yore,--
"What the dickens is the matter," said I, "to produce
this patter?"
To Mrs. P, and looked straight at her. "I don’t know,"
Said she, "I’m shore;
Lest it be a pesky rat, or something, I don’t know, I’m
Shore."
This she said, and nothing more.

Still the noise kept on unceasing; evidently ‘t was increasing;
Like a cart-wheel wanting greasing, wore it on my nerves
Full sore;
Patter, patter, patter, patter, the rain the while made noisy clatter,
My teeth with boding ill did chatter, as when I’m troubled
By a bore—
Some prosing, dull, and dismal fellow, coming in but just
To bore;
Only this, and nothing more.

All night long it kept on tapping; vain I laid myself for
Napping,
Calling sleep my sense to wrap in darkness till the night
Was o’er;
A dismal candle, dimly burning, watched me as I lay
There turning,
In desperation wildly yearning that sleep would visit me
Once more;
Sleep, refreshing sleep, did I most urgently implore;
This I wished, and nothing more.

With the day I rose next morning, and, all idle terror
Scorning,
Went to finding out the warning that annoyed me so
Before;
When straightway, to my consternation, daylight made
the revelation
of a scene of devastation that annoyed me very sore,
such a scene of devastation as annoyed me very sore;
that it was, and nothing more:

The rotten roof had taken leaking, and the rain, a passage
Seeking,
Through the murky darkness sneaking, found my hat-box
On the floor;
There, exposed to dire disaster, lay my bran-new Sunday
Castor,
And its hapless, luckless master ne’er shall see its beauties
More—
Ne’er shall see its glossy beauty, that his glory was before;
It is gone, forevermore!

And the moral is, don't leave your hat in a leaky cupboard.

Im really not sure how long ago its started but i would say at a guess from about my early teens when i started to re call the knocks.

Weird. Ever experience anything else? Precognition, ghosts, bizarre coincidences etc?

Perhaps Death has got confused. He's knockin' and knockin' and you just won't die. :lol:

Hokum said:
Weird. Ever experience anything else? Precognition, ghosts, bizarre coincidences etc?

Well, I see you've posted two other threads. Clearly, weird shit likes you. You're lucky.

As it's already been said, usually 3 knocks is a forerunner predicting someone's death. ( usually not your own though). There's another thread on forerunners a few pages back.
However, i have never heard tell of someone being constantly plagued by such knocking for years at a time.
This is definitely weird!! :shock:

I have a book about 'true' hauntings, with a chapter called 'Four Knocks And No More' in which a family are plagued by strange knockings. Each time, they hear four, and that's it, until the next time. :shock:

For them it didn't mean anything in particular, it was just a mystery.

Each time I've been about to go into labour I've been woken by knocking and told my husband to see who was there. The last time my friend rang and asked if I had gone to hospital as she had heard the knocking as well.
I'm woken by a phone ringing when someone has been going to die. So maybe it's just a way of alerting us something different is going to happen?

I can now reveal the true meaning, as told by Tony Orlando & Dawn in the 1970s

Knock Three Times

Hey girl what ya doin' down there
Dancin' alone every night while I live right above you
I can hear your music playin'
I can feel your body swayin'
One floor below me you don't even know me
I love you

Oh, my darling, knock three times on the ceiling if you want me
Twice on the pipe if the answer is no, oh, my sweetness
(Knock, knock, knock!) Means you'll meet me in the hallway
Mmm, twice on the pipe (clink, clink) means you ain't gonna show

If you look out your window tonight
Pull in the string with the note that's attached to my heart
Read how many times I saw you
How in my silence I adored you
And only in my dreams did that wall between us come apart

I love you

Glad we got that cleared up.
Orion, Pazza has accurately pointed out that the knocks you hear are just Tony Orlando and Dawn telling you they love you. :D

I remember hearing this song when I was very young ( I think it was popular the year I was born :D )...I never really knew the words...thanks, Pazza.

[tangent]

Isis,

Your post reminded me (for some reason) of the ceremony of seating a Bishop (in the ECUSA, at least). It begins with the Bishop knocking - I believe 3 times - on the cathedral door. I'm sure it symbolizes many things, including that the bishop's authority is received by the people (and not just imposed). But I just got that image of your babies knocking to be welcomed into your life. :likee:

[/tangent]

:( 'Knock Three Times' was No. 1 when I was leaving school.

Redhead said:
Glad we got that cleared up.
Orion, Pazza has accurately pointed out that the knocks you hear are just Tony Orlando and Dawn telling you they love you. :D

I remember hearing this song when I was very young ( I think it was popular the year I was born :D )...I never really knew the words...thanks, Pazza.

It serves him right for keeping them prisoner in his loft, instead of letting them run free-range in his yard!

zede said:
[tangent]

Isis,

Your post reminded me (for some reason) of the ceremony of seating a Bishop (in the ECUSA, at least). It begins with the Bishop knocking - I believe 3 times - on the cathedral door. I'm sure it symbolizes many things, including that the bishop's authority is received by the people (and not just imposed). But I just got that image of your babies knocking to be welcomed into your life. :likee:

[/tangent]

doesnt black rod knock 3 times on the door to the house of commons too?

Good ol' Whitley Strieber describes a mysterious loud three knocks on the wall of his house in one of his follow-up books to Communion. He ascribed it to aliens of course.

I'm sure this helps a lot.

sundog said:
Good ol' Whitley Strieber describes a mysterious loud three knocks on the wall of his house in one of his follow-up books to Communion. He ascribed it to aliens of course.

Seems knocking 3 times is a pretty common number of knocks to hear.

Zede thank you that was a lovely way of putting it. There were 4 of us in a small area who had unexpected children all born within a couple of weeks who were very close as young children.

Hokum said:

Perhaps Death has got confused. He's knockin' and knockin' and you just won't die. :lol:

Yes alot of strange happenings occur in my life. I often have premonitions which quite often come true as you can see in my other post and im haunted by a number lol. I think the 3 knocks is the closest thing in my life to a ghost allthough i have never seen anything i certainly hear it! and others around my have to!

I have never seen a ghost mind! As for coincidences they happen on a daily basis, i also get many deja vu`s which tend to be very powerfull. I have many times asked people when im around them "have we been here before and done this exact thing" lol.

Redhead said:
As it's already been said, usually 3 knocks is a forerunner predicting someone's death. ( usually not your own though). There's another thread on forerunners a few pages back.
However, i have never heard tell of someone being constantly plagued by such knocking for years at a time.
This is definitely weird!! :shock:

Its been a good few years since i last heard the knocks. Maybe its gone for good. To be honest im not sure what it is maybe a tool for predicting death as some people have kindly stated and i have done so but mainly through dreams!

However im not sure if these 3 knocks are coming from someone friendly as they are so loud almost as if there doing it in anger? :? Its not like its a pleasent experience for me i often get scared and confused not to mention the fright i get of hearing the loud knocks. My heart pounds!

PaZZa said:
I can now reveal the true meaning, as told by Tony Orlando & Dawn in the 1970s

Knock Three Times

Hey girl what ya doin' down there
Dancin' alone every night while I live right above you
I love you

Oh, my darling, knock three times on the ceiling if you want me
Twice on the pipe if the answer is no, oh, my sweetness
(Knock, knock, knock!) Means you'll meet me in the hallway
Mmm, twice on the pipe (clink, clink) means you ain't gonna show

If you look out your window tonight
Pull in the string with the note that's attached to my heart
Read how many times I saw you
How in my silence I adored you
And only in my dreams did that wall between us come apart

I love you

ROFL! :D

sundog said:

Hmmm the alien concept kind of interests me. I am huge beleiver they are out there. There is something that happens when i here the knocks now and then if its in the middle of the night i feel like the room is highly charged i can hear crackling of static! Even my body feels charged! The best case i have for that was one nite it happened on the large tv in my room actually looked like it was turned on of all the static the usuall black screen was glowing like a bluey haze! :?

This reminds me of reading about an attempt to contact aliens by transmitting the knocking pattern "Knock knock-knock knock knock...", to which the reply would be "Knock! Knock!", completing the pattern. Apparently it's irresistible.

SOS in morse code is ... --- ... thats kinda 3 lots of 3 knocks, probably irrelivant but it just came to mind.

GNC said:
This reminds me of reading about an attempt to contact aliens by transmitting the knocking pattern "Knock knock-knock knock knock...", to which the reply would be "Knock! Knock!", completing the pattern. Apparently it's irresistible.

:shock: Maybe next time i should knock back? :shock:

PaZZa said:
SOS in morse code is ... --- ... thats kinda 3 lots of 3 knocks, probably irrelivant but it just came to mind.

Hmm interesting!. :eek:

It's been a while since I read it, but in Peter Moss' Ghosts Over Britain, there was one story where a young woman who was experiencing *paranormal* goings-on in her flat/house, heard and/or was woken by knocking next to her headboard at night.

Thinking this was her flatmate in the next room, she knocked back. The next noise she heard was IIRC something apparently like a mechanical digger trying to very noisily claw/scrape thru the wall[?]. I can't remember the rest of the activity that was meant to have happened but I think that she did leave the property in a midnight dash.

As you would do too.

Back