• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Three Nipples? (Myths & Folklore)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
An ex girlfriend of mine had/has three nipples .. she used to postulate that in the middle ages she could have been burned as a witch for such a travesty ..

I've been looking into this today, Scaramanga (played by Christopher Lee) had three nips in The Man With The Golden Gun .. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of myths or folklore surrounding the three nipples? ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernumerary_nipple

NSFW .. potentially some nudity in this below link so warning ..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=three nipples images&biw=877&bih=415&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJqsKiiObMAhWbF8AKHYTbAdwQ_AUIBigB

See Also:

Body Oddities: Supernumerary / Extra Nipples; Polythelia
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...supernumerary-extra-nipples-polythelia.66335/

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine like you, Swifty, I always think of the topless fortune teller from Mallrats when I hear about third nipples. Of course, that was a scam, but a visually pleasing scam. I'm pretty sure in the middle ages a third nipple was among the things regarded by Matthew Hopkins types as a 'mark of the devil', although in the absence of such a feature, any old mark would probably have done. I'll give the books a squeeze and see what squirts out.

I always think of the topless fortune teller from Mallrats when I hear about third nipples. Of course, that was a scam

The character in Mallrats (Ivana I think?) used bubble gum to make her fake nipple but there's quite a few real three nippled people out there as I understand it. Maybe it's some sort of genetic throwback to breast feeding more youngsters? .. I've read somewhere that in folklore, women with three nipples were enabling devil worship by allowing people to suckle on the third teat .. a load of bollocks obviously but it's still interesting ..

Hopkins recruited two assistants, John Stearne and Mary Phillipps, and together they searched suspected witches for 'witch-marks', supposedly supernumerary nipples used by witches to suckle their imps. As the skins of women past the menopause often produce warty growths, in the archetypal 'hag' these 'nipples' were not hard to find. The 'witch-marks' were said to be insensitive to pain and not to bleed if pricked, so 'pricking' for witchcraft became a detection method, and Hopkins and his team used a tool with a retractable spike, which gave the impression that it had pierced the flesh but drawn no blood.
The Lore of the Land - Jennifer Westwood and Jacqueline Simpson, in the section on 'Manningtree'

Also, so far...
It seems that sorcerers and witches had a mark imprinted by Satan upon some secret part of their body, and that a kind of painful tingling in this vulnerable spot warned them when they were to go to the Sabbath.
Illustrated Anthology of Sorcery, Magic and Alchemy - Émile Grillot De Givry

No mention of nipples here specifically, but I like the idea of the diabolical pager.

An ex girlfriend of mine had/has three nipples ..

Where was the other one?

images

I've always thought that a Wicker Woman would not only have pleasing alliteration, but be logical in that sometimes women do have other people inside them!

I suspect most of us would, for a variety of reasons...

Does molecular biology count? "Here, I'll move this tiny amount of colourless liquid into a tube with another tiny amount of colourless liquid, and when I heat them up, I can take pictures of the stuff that makes things appear as they are..."

We've had this discussion before. I distinctly remember stating that I too (like @bugmum ) would have met a grisly fate.

Did we have a discussion here recently where it was suggested that a particular ailment resulted in extra nipples appearing anywhere on a body?

Did we have a discussion here recently where it was suggested that a particular ailment resulted in extra nipples appearing anywhere on a body?

It's possible for ectopic breast tissue to form or take up residence in other parts of the body - even to the extent of functionally lactating. Might that be what you're thinking of?

It's possible for ectopic breast tissue to form or take up residence in other parts of the body - even to the extent of functionally lactating. Might that be what you're thinking of?

No, it was a specific disease, I might have read it elsewhere.

Extra nipples can occur anywhere on the body along what they call the milk lines, is my understanding. And I too would have been burned as a witch in the Middle Ages. ;)
Yes, it's not totally uncommon, although pretty dangerous in witch country. I give my cats names that I can yell in the middle of the street at one in the morning without being embarrassed. Works out best for all. Although I'm not sure that having a cat named, say, James wouldn't have been suspect in the middle ages.

I would have been dead meat for sure. Just could never bring myself to name a cat "Fluffy" or "Tiger".

Back