• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Threshold

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
www.imdb.com/title/tt0460686/

Saw an ad for this last night - it has just started showing in the US - anyone seen it yet? There are some pretty good reviews on IMDB at the moment. I see its got Data in ;)

Coming to Sky One in November:

Threshold - Sky One from November - Prepare for the worst-case scenario - alien invasion. That's the stupendous task given to Dr Caffrey (Sin City's Carla Gugino) and gang in Operation Threshold as they await first contact. Eerie, chilling, gripping...Check it out.

www.sky.com/showbiz/article/0,,50002-1194893,00.html

Satellite channel gambles on new Brannon Braga format

CBS Paramount International Television has signed over the exclusive UK TV rights for Threshold to Sky One, which has also signed on as a co-production partner with Paramount Network Television for the series. This form of co-production is something that Sky also entered into with the new remodelled version of Battlestar Galactica.

Threshold will not make its debut Stateside until October, but is described as "a suspenseful drama about a team of experts assembled to investigate the discovery that an extraterrestrial craft has landed in the Atlantic Ocean".

James Baker, controller of Sky One, commented that "We’re delighted to have secured the exclusive UK rights to Threshold and to expand our co-production partnership with CBS Paramount International Television, with whom we co-produce The 4400, on such an exciting and unique series.

Brannon Braga, one of the Executive Producers of Star Trek: Enterprise, is one of the Executive Producers of this format, along with David Heyman ("Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban") and David Goyer ("Blade: Trinity").

CBS Paramount International Television president Armando Nunez noted that "Sky One is a perfect home for Threshold in the UK. We are excited to be able to expand our collaboration with Sky in high-concept programming", he said, in a way only American Execs can get away with. For "high-concept" read "format with cult television possibilities"

------------
News Item Added: 29-05-2005

www.cult.tv/index.php?cm_id=740&cm_type=article

Hmm. Lots of cliches; hard-ass government type, guy with angry short man syndrome (well, he's a dwarf so I guess he's excused), smarmy professor, nervous geek, intelligent woman looking for a father figure. Odd editing and music at times as well.

Seems ok so far, though, story is interesting enough for me to keep watching. Pretty gruesome for a series as well.

Watched the iniital double episode tonight.

I rather enjoyed it - a good mix of sci-fi and horror thrills with some good dash of mystery and tension. I do think they were awfully quick to but their team into jeopardy and the sudden bursts of Kasabian and Athlete seemed a bit out of place.

Nice to see Mr Data back again and Etahn Rom sneaking on after getting killed in Lost ;)

Anyway I'll be tuning again - I just hope they have a solid grasp of where the story is going as they could very easily drop the ball.

--------
Sky's mini-site:
www.skyone.co.uk/programme/pgeprogramme.aspx?pid=63

Yes, the music is very strange at times.
The latest episodes have been pretty good, it's getting better as we get further in.

hokum6 said:
Yes, the music is very strange at times.
The latest episodes have been pretty good, it's getting better as we get further in.

Excellent - good to here. The first one definitely had promise and if they can keep that going then it looks like a good one.

Pity William Mapother (Ethan Rom) doesn't look like he has yet returned:

www.imdb.com/name/nm0544611/

He manages to bring a creepy intensity to his role which works really well. They may be svaing him for a big return in a future episode which should be cool. With fourth dimensional aliens invading by reworking our DNA (probably ;) ) it helps to actually have a baddie.

Then again the goodies aren't really that good - the people running the show certianly seem a tad sinister.

Seems the show is teetering on the potential edge of cancelled and this Tuesday is make or break night for CBS (or at least the viewing figures will help the decision on whether anymore is order - and pos. if they finish the run at all). Fingers crossed.

Well, the pilot is great! But unfortunately it all goes downhill after that :( I fell asleep during the fifth episode, and all this talk about it being the new X-Files is way off the mark; it doesn't even come close. Basically, each episode is like a "Where's Wally" book, except it's "Where's Alien", and it really does get quite boring. Saying that, some people might like it. I just find that when a series is slow-paced, I want something to counterbalance that like character development or side-stories a la Lost, but this has neither.

Stick to Surface and Supernatural and you'll be just fine :)

Yeah I'd read comments by a number of people saying similar things. It does seem oddly against the way they usually do things which is hit you with a touch of shock and awe for a few episodes to hook you in and then get things into more of a regular groove. Perhaps they were planning for the long run (one of those things I always loved about Babylon 5) but in this day and age of they can cancel the series mid-run you don't get a chance to mess about in the early episodes.

Ahhhh well we'll see - they've got my bum on a seat for now (although that may be because I don't have Surface or Supernatural ;) ).

Darren Goodall: "Threshold (CBS/SKY), Surface (NBC/ITV), Invasion (ABC/CH4,E4) - I've been watching these three shows with interest. Surface is probably the best although Threshold probably started better (a shame they blew up most of the show's budget by sinking the boat?!!). I know CBS has recently moved Threshold from Fridays to Tuesdays during sweeps week and its first week's ratings were down, so it's not looking good. When will we know the good or bad news if there's a second season or if its been cancelled?"

Neil: Threshold is now dead as far as CBS is concerned. It's doing fairly well for Sky One though, and they'll be airing the full thirteen.

www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds26814.html

So it looks like we Brits will get to see the lot. I suspect its dropped the ball on cult status or success on Sky might get it another series but looks like this might be finished.

Kind of a shame, I liked where they were going. Surface is better, though (apart from the stupid pet monster subplot - hnngh). And Invasion is shaping up really nicely, it's a different take Body Snatchers.

I reckon they had enough material for a decent mini-series but decided to go for a whole season.

Big mistake, I liked the first three episodes but from there it went down the tubes for me.

Shame.

Mr_Eamcat2 said:
I reckon they had enough material for a decent mini-series but decided to go for a whole season.

Big mistake, I liked the first three episodes but from there it went down the tubes for me.

Shame.

I dunno from what I saw I reckon they could easily have got a number of series out of it - they had ideas coming out of the wazoo in the first episode that could easily have been worked on and developed with new plot twists thrown in for good measure, If it wnt off the boil it is because somwhere between a solid pitch and the actual series creation someone dropped the ball.

Threshold (R1) in August - Extras revealed

Paramount Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Threshold: The Complete Series for 22nd August 2006 priced at $56.99 SRP. This science-fiction drama series was cut short on its American broadcast, though all 13 of the produced episodes aired on Sky One here in the UK.

This four-disc set will offer those 13 episodes with the following features:

• * Anamorphic Widescreen
    * English DD2.0 & DD5.1 Surround
    * The Threshold Brain Trust
    * Threshold Visual Effects
    * Behind the Fractal with Writer-producer Andre Bormanis
    * Deleted Scenes from original pilot
    * Audio commentary with Executive Producers David Goyer and Brannon Braga on episode “Trees Made of Glass”

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=61406

Back