• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Throwing Coins At A Wall?

Binkston1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Just a quick query regarding folklore/superstition. I had a dream last night which featured an event that seemed very familiar but I can't seem to link it to reality.

In the dream I was attending a family wedding and my mother arrived with a bag-full of pound coins. She then proceeded to throw them one at a time at the four walls of the room that we were in. The coins were thrown with some force and it was believed that this would be removing ill-feeling and bringing the newly-weds good luck.

Does this have any grounding in superstition or have I entirely conjured it up from nowhere?

Don't know about weddiings and superstition but sounds like the "Penny up the wall" game that use to be played when I was at school. The nearest one to the wall won.

It sounds a bit like a cross between the penny up the wall game and the old tradition of a scramble which occurs at quite a lot of scottish weddings where usually the groom throws coins onto the ground for the kids who all rush forward and grab what they can. Hope this helps :D

Back