• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Throwing Horns: Celebrities Making 'The Sign Of The Devil'

A

Anonymous

Can anyone explain why Liz Taylor was giving the "Sign of the devil" to photographers upon attending Liza Minnelli's wedding the other week? And why does this symbol keep cropping up being given by such dignitaries as George W. and Silvio Berlusconi? (Okay, the pictures are on the David Icke website but they look real and I saw the Liz Taylor one on telly).

think its the 'index finger and little finger stuck out whilst the thumb holds down the 2 middle fingers' one. a few pics available on this page about Italian Killer , Pietro Pacciani , supplying cannibalistic satanic cult with human body parts no less...

Isn't that the "evil eye"? What the hell is going on with these people in La La Land?

Now, I remember once upon a time when this sign was waved around in Black Sabbath concerts, with all these raving conservative types going on about 'the sign of the devil'. You see, to me, it was always supposed to be something to do with Tony Iommi missing the middle two fingers on one hand due to a factory accident. He wears prosthetics.

WCW Wrestlers used to make this sign while claiming to be part of "The New World Order." Hulk Hogan made this sign! Satan! Satan! Hissssss! Hogan needs no devil-association to be an evil old has-been. Maybe this is in fact the sign of The Evil Old Has-Been?

Isn't it the sign for 'love' in Anslan(sp?), American deaf sign language?

And to (maybe) un-stop it.....

Versions from my youth (the '60's, if you must know....)

1: Devils horns

2: Turning the evil back (down one finger, up t'other)

Could all be balls, of course..... ;)

IIRC, traditionally that sign was used in some countries to ward OFF the Devil. I'm thinking places like Italy and eastern europe. I have heard of it being associated with warding off the evil eye too.

Maybe Liz was making a statement about Icke person....

Sounds like this symbol has a more confused history than I thought.

Here are the other examples of Berlusconi and Bush, plus this one because I just liked it.

I always thought that display was the "Hang Ten" sign utilized by pot-smoking surfers.

DerekH said:
And to (maybe) un-stop it.....

Versions from my youth (the '60's, if you must know....)

1: Devils horns

2: Turning the evil back (down one finger, up t'other)

Could all be balls, of course..... ;)

I vaguley remember that it all depended on the orientation of the hand. One orientation was good, one bad. Unfortunately don't remember much more.:devil:

I asked my old school heavy metal brother in law about the meaning of the devil horns- he said it all started just because when you're at a gig and punching the air with your fist, that's just how your fingers tend to go, but people have tended to come up with really subliminal meanings for it.
When you form the horns, your fingers are supposed to be creating three 6's. Also the two fingers in the air are covering the other three, supposed to be something to do with denying the existance of the trinity.
I think that's all rubbish. I go to gigs now, like Slipknot and Sum41, and all the little kids are doing it (and I find myself doing it- it is subconsious, the B-in-L is right there) and I'd bet a dollar to a donut there's no-one there with a slightly satanic thought in their head. They're mostly schoolkids! Even if they know they're making the devil horns, its cos thats what everyone does at these shows, including the band. No evilness at all... :devil:

In Italy it means 'cornuto' or cuckold. You know, wearing the cuckold's horns. (I always thought).

Right Tash, in my "bible of gestures" by Des Morris et al it means you have been cuckolded, extended to mean "you are a stupid and impotent feeble idiot whilst your wife acts like a cow!" and even "I am putting a hex on you so your wife will see you as impotent!". How that fits into heavy metal & slipnot gigs I don't know:confused:

devil sign

the devil sign in italy has 2 meanings ( i know it because i'm italian :D )
1: when the fingers are pointed upwards means that person you are pointing is a cuckhold
2: when the fingers are pointed downwards is used as protection against the evil eye (kind of a lucky charm)

Simple as that !
nothing to do with the :devil:

in mr. berlusconi's intentions, the <horn sign> had to be a big fun thing. he was attending a foreign ministers' meeting in spain and a picture of alla the ministers was being taken, and he thought to himself, "hey, this reminds me of the class pictures at school! remember how fun it was to make the <cornuto> gesture behind someone's head without him knowing it? it'll show the world we are a group of funny old friends, not a bunch of boring power-thirsty bureaucrats!"... and he did it. he also chose to do it behind the spanish foreign minister's head, i.e. behind the host's head, to add more fun to the whole thing.
of course, that gesture means something only in italy. i asked some american friends of mine to look at the picture and they went like, <why is he doing that? what does it mean>. but in a way that's better. knowing what it means and why he did it is far more embarassing...

I think the nu-metal muppets that attend Slipknot gigs do the old Sign of Lucifer cos it's just a big rock cliche that, you know, you're supposed to do at rock concerts. I think that's the only reason why the do it.

There's a lot of photos I've seen recently of pop stars doing the devil's sign, but this, I'm guessing, is just them trying to get rawk cred. However I'm sure Liz Taylor and Burlesconi aren't doing it so they can hang with the Slipknot Kids!

I dunno how it started in rock music, but I think rock fans believed the media when it was decided it must be a Satantic gesture. I'm sure a lot of rock fans would say it was the Sign of the Devil, even if the gesture started for completely different reasons.

When I was a youngster (also in the 60s, Derek) we used this gesture to mean bullsh*t. Horns of the bull, I suppose.

Making a gesture behind a person's head when a picture is being taken is quite old, I have a picture from my grandfather's school, taken about 1910, where someone is making a V sign.

It's NOT the sign of the devil. It's anything but. If someone gives you this signal, dont punch them, they are likely deaf and trying to tell you that "THEY LOVE YOU".

As for Lizard Taylor, I would suspect she is trying to keep her tacky rings and jewelry from falling off.

Or bullshit machine David Icky is messing with the photo
:blah:

What sort of delusional imbecile are you? I don't mean to sound rude, but the meaning of that does not mean devil by any means. ( well, evidently by SOME means. ) and if you'd like to get technical, when the thumb is held out, it's indian symbolage for coyote. perhaps liz is hailing for some canids to attack her paparazzi?
the other is a very simple heavy metal associated form of saying ' rock on '. etc.
reasonably thinking, they're merely old goats trying to appeal to the younger generation by composing a popular gesticulation with their withered old hand to impress, well, to use the vernaculer, ' to be cool '. or grew up in the era in which it was used regularly.
it's just like the symbol of the swastika, it's the foul name that rots the reputation of an ancient archetype. the swastika in it's reversed position actually means life. of course, Hitler took the form in which is means death. i shall cease from prattling now.

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness

In Pagan circles (excuse the pun) this sign is used to represent the male form of the Dual Deity. The other sign for the female form is to make a crescent shape with your thumb and forefinger.
Reasons? The 'horned' sign represents the Horned God, Herne, Pan, Cernunnos etc. The 'crescent' sign represents the Moon, the Goddess symbol.
Both these signs are well used by many Pagans during the Ritual of Gestures and to identify themselves within a group.

I hasten to add, for those of you who may not know...the Pagan Deities have nothing whatsoever to do with the entity 'Satan' - as a Christian belief, this entity is not recognised within the sphere of Paganism.

So, Liz and co could be anything from satanists to pagans . . . h'mm, can't see her as a pagan, somehow . . .

Carole

Ogopogo said:
I always thought that display was the "Hang Ten" sign utilized by pot-smoking surfers.

This is a diffrent sign altogether...using thumb and little finger sticking out only ( \VYYV/ ). Supposed to look like a bong (!?). errr, but i'm not of that generation anymore...so it could mean something else by now.

As for the 'devils horns' hand symbol ( \VYV/ )...it used to be shot into the air to the beat of some rock music or heavy metal music as the crowds were chanting/singing/screaming and viciously trying to knock their own heads off !! Head Bangers they were called back then (?!).
Mostly innocent gesture, not too many of these people were of the satanic worship variety...just doing it cause they'd seen someone else doing it I presume. But isn't that what being young is all about?

It must have more than a few meanings obviously...I am curious as ever now.

Pagan/Satanic/Love/Evil/Coyote/[your guess is as good as mine]

:confused:

IT'S THE ROCKERS SIGN!

Its how old farts say they are cool and hip!

I HAVE JUMPED SCREAMING OFF OF STAGES WHERE WILD MUSIC BLARED AND GUYS MY AGE MOSHED INSSECENTLY HOLDING MY HANDS THE SAME WAY!

moshing--slamming your body into someone esle as hard as:
A)you can
B)they are

ITS FUN!

Is the rocker symbol really a devil sign?
YIKES---I hope I haven't sold my soul.......

(yes I AM on drugs thankyou,and will be on bail soon)

Back