• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Throwing Horns: Celebrities Making 'The Sign Of The Devil'

The symbol keeps cropping up in FT as well, refs FT: 155 page 26 and somewhat more obviously FT157 pages 4 and 16.

So if it is sign-language for "I love you" then why doesn't Bush just come right out and say it before each speech? That's discrimination that is :)

And US sign language is different to UK, I believe, so what is the corresponding sign in the UK, and does the devil sign have a meaning in UK sign language?

Beavis and Butthead do it as well.

I always thought it was a sign of the Devil(with the thumb in) if done with the left hand. I think it is also supposed to be a symbol of a bull in Ghana. And have spread with music from down there.

I see that the difference between two of the various different meanings of this hand signal now feature as part of an HSBC TV ad.

I wonder what it means in India. Last week I was told by my local HSBC branch that my transactions were actually being keyed at a data entry centre in India.

Beavis and Butthead do it as well.

And who remembers Spitting Image with John Major and Kenneth Clarke as Butthead and Butthead.

My uni has a longhorn bull as its mascot (I'm from America, of course). Our thing is to do the devil horns to symbolize the longhorn. So at football games and such, you always get thousands of spectators holding up the devil horns in fanatical support.

FiKTiSHuS said:
This is a diffrent sign altogether...using thumb and little finger sticking out only ( \VYYV/ ). Supposed to look like a bong (!?). errr, but i'm not of that generation anymore...so it could mean something else by now.

:confused:

The thumb and little finger sticking out (with the middle three curled in as you describe) is known on the Hawaiian islands as a "shaka" and is generally the equivalent of a cheery wave indicating wonderful things like "thanks", "good luck" etc. (While out there, I received this gesture from a driver that I let pull out. At least that's what I think he was gesturing.;) )

Evilsprout said:
I think the nu-metal muppets that attend Slipknot gigs...

Whoa... I'm... so offended... :(

Retract, retract, you horrible sprout!

i thought that sign was the rockers sign you know "Rock On".
Maybe its just me.

I think the reason it is used at concerts is just because of that whole satanworshipping thing Heavy Metal has. So they try to be cool by using a symbol of satanism.

1) there's no such thing as the devil. But the story of the chilean boys who saw the creature was really creepy.
2) the finger-players are doing it on purpose, dunno why.
3) Live Long & Prosper inverted?
4) Liz Taylor will jump on any bandwagon that requires less than 5 joules of energy.
5) She's probably michael Jackson in drag.

ODYSSEY OF THE DEVIL HORNS

by Steve Appleford

Who is responsible for bringing metal’s famous hand signal to the tribe?

It is called the mano cornuto, the horned hand, with index finger and pinkie raised proudly as the sign of the beast, ready for an unholy wave to your favorite demon king. The Horns of Cernunnos. The woolly Goat of Mendes. And the edifice of Scaccia Scalogna, source of the ancient code to defeat the “evil eye” and its power to wilt the fruit on trees and the mojo of men. Or, it means nothing at all – nothing beyond the international greeting to heavy metal ecstasy, aimed at all the flawed rock gods with their Marshall amps and electric guitars. It is there that the horns still carry some tribal significance, and where the local monster metal fest might carry a giant foam-rubber facsimile of the horned hand to be waved from across the arena, as harmless as a pillow.

Satan must miss the attention. It had been his for centuries, used with conviction just in the last generation by Church of Satan founder Anton LaVey himself. To Wiccans, the raised fingers were like antenna to receive a jolt from the mighty and mysterious Goddess. The sign still worries evangelists, but it truly belongs to rock now, as a declaration of love and testosterone in the presence of Ozzy or Metallica or the next speed-metal band to plug in onstage. It is a valentine between rock star and superfan.

Singer Rob Halford has no idea where it came from, and he probably picked it up from the audience. But it provides a big moment every night onstage with the reunited Judas Priest, right in the middle of “Painkiller,” as the band drifts into a passage of lengthy metal-guitar riffing. That’s when Halford steps up to the edge of the stage. “I throw a metal-god pose and put my horns in the air, and the crowd goes fucking ballistic,” Halford says. “It’s like holding up the NBA trophy. It’s a unifying moment. People go, ‘Oh, my god, look what he’s doing – that’s me!’ It’s a moment of recognition.”

But its source in rock is a mystery. And it has grown into a subject of uninformed debate in parking lots and online. Gene Simmons of KISS wrote in his 2002 autobiography that it was his accidental invention, the inadvertent gesture of a great man, repeated at concerts and picked up by fans. Not likely. Former Black Sabbath shouter Ronnie James Dio also takes the credit, first raising the horns before joining the band in 1978. And he’s expressed alarm over the image of Britney Spears fans raising the sign at concerts by the dancing diva of lip-synched pop. The truth is elusive.

One Internet gadfly calling himself Physical Discomfort writes of Dio, “Hell no he didn’t pioneer the devils hands thing!” Then he insists that a live photograph inside the 1972 album Black Sabbath Vol. 4 reveals Ozzy and fans throwing the goat into the air. A potential revelation … so I dig out my buried copy, searching for a moment of pure cartoonish evil, a possible crossroads where heavy metal’s flirtation with the Satanic and ridiculous began. And there it is: peace signs. The hippie dream, and not a demon’s head anywhere.

The time has come for a survey, and first on the list is Dave Grohl. The Foo Fighters frontman and Nirvana drummer is in town to conduct his own headbanger paradise on a Hollywood soundstage, where he’s shooting a video for his metal side-project Probot, sitting in with Motörhead’s Lemmy Kilmister and 70 models from SuicideGirls.com. Between takes, Grohl poses for a magazine photographer. The man is a kind of redheaded, Mephisto-looking hipster, who begs Grohl to flash him “the goat” again and again. He refuses. Grohl’s roots are in both metal and punk rock, where, if used at all, the horns tend to be wielded ironically. I ask later where he first saw the mano cornuto. “Honestly, probably at a Black Flag show, which doesn’t make sense. But you’d have the fucking burnouts that would come to see Black Flag after rippin’ Sabbath in the parking lot for a good half-hour.”

Later, I ask Lemmy the same thing, noting the casual claims of Gene Simmons. “Well, he would, wouldn’t he?” Lemmy remarks. “He is so eeevilll. Come on, gimme a fucking break.”

Lars Ulrich of Metallica has no doubt at all: “That’s got to be Ronnie James Dio. I remember Rainbow used to play in Denmark about every half-hour, so I used to go see it every half-hour. And Ronnie James Dio did a lot of that. Back in ’75, ’76, ’77, it was all about Rainbow and Black Sabbath and Thin Lizzy.”

In a separate interview, singer-guitarist James Hetfield, answers, “I think Dio.” Then he goes on, with a smile: “I think Spider-Man originally. It’s also ‘I love you’ in sign language. I don’t know, I think it’s ‘Two more songs!’ – you know.”

One could make the pilgrimage to the medieval Italian hill town of Barga, Tuscany, and the carved visage of the Scaccia Scalogna, an ancient face set right into the wall along the Via di Mezzo. Locals in search of better luck and divine intervention travel to the cragged, alien face to press their horned hands right into the statue’s eyes. Which takes the demon salute into the realm of Moe Howard of the Three Stooges, who enjoyed ending conversations with a pair of fingers in the eyes of his closest associates.

Even President George Bush has raised horns to the sky, suggesting all kinds of possible conspiracies and connections, entangled in Skull & Bones and star chambers. More likely, Bush is signaling his piety to the Texas Longhorns, gridiron warriors for the University of Texas, where a football-crazy male cheerleader named Harley Clark first raised the “hook ’em horns” signal at a 1955 pep rally. Clark is a retired state judge now, and definitely no Satanist.

Dio remembers the gesture from his Italian grandmother in New York, making a sign to ward off the “evil eye.” He does not claim to have invented it, but says he brought it to the metal masses as far back as his days in Rainbow, before replacing Ozzy Osbourne in Black Sabbath in 1978. When VH1 weighed in this year with 100 Most Metal Moments, No. 3 was Dio’s use of the gesture as the universal signal for heavy metal. “It’s nice to have been able to create something that’s going to last for a long time and be credited for it,” says Dio. “But I’m sure some guy named Og invented it 25,000 years ago.”

And it belongs today in the hands of a deadly serious rocker, he argues, not the Top 40. “Going to see someone in a bustier doesn’t seem to make any sense when they raise that sign up there. And they get it wrong. There’s a way to do it. You have to lean into it and have a certain facial expression.” For Dio, the sign “puts an exclamation point and a period to what you’re doing. I don’t do it for frivolous reasons. It was a natural thing for me to do. And perhaps it looks theatrical now because it’s overused, even by myself.”

But Dio was not the first rock musician to raise the horns high. It’s not the devil’s sign to everyone. It is also the password to the Mothership, the P-Funk juggernaut first launched at the beginning of the ’70s. George Clinton and Bootsy Collins have been trading the “P-Funk sign” ever since, a kind of sci-fi-funk interpretation of the old Vulcan “live long and prosper” greeting from Star Trek’s Mr. Spock.

A friend arranges a meeting with Clinton. I hand him a photograph of Dio making the hand signal, and tell him this is the man (or one of them) credited with bringing it to rock. Clinton stares at the picture for a long, silent minute, breathing heavily. Another minute passes. He’s never heard of Ronnie James Dio. It’s the P-Funk sign, man. The mystery continues.

Then I mention Simmons, and Clinton smiles. “He should know better,” he says with a laugh. KISS and Parliament-Funkadelic were both on Casablanca Records in the ’70s. “Our costumes were made at the same place,” he adds. “And we had ours made there first!”

---------------
© 2003 Southland Publishing,

http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=1216&IssueNum=66

It's only a little niggly thing, but Kiss really is just Kiss. Not KISS. It's not an acronym. Well, only if you're a fundie, I suppose.

The pagan band Inkubus Sukkubus use that gesture a lot on stage, in it's context as a symbol of the Horned God, and the audience do it too.

Esp. when the band do their 'witches chant' that they ripped off from a Christy Moore song:D

i remember being told by a born again christian ex metal type that the "sign of the devil" made up 666, the thumb, and fleshy part of the palm, one 6, then the curled fingers, with the two outer fingers made the other two 6's. apparently.

Dark Detective said:
The symbol keeps cropping up in FT as well, refs FT: 155 page 26 and somewhat more obviously FT157 pages 4 and 16.

So if it is sign-language for "I love you" then why doesn't Bush just come right out and say it before each speech? That's discrimination that is :)

And US sign language is different to UK, I believe, so what is the corresponding sign in the UK, and does the devil sign have a meaning in UK sign language?

American sign language is communicated using one hand and BSL (British Sign Language) uses both.

There is not one sign for "I Love You " but 3 one for each word.

Curiously though, there is just one sign which is slang for sexy, but using facial expression can be made into something incredibly filthy! When doing my BSL exams we were told on no account were we to use this sign because the examiners would not be at all impressed! Gues what we were all signing secrectly to each other....:p

If you do the "horns" with one hand, arm held horizontally across your body, and the other hand making a sprinkling- movement with your fingers at the elbow, this is the BSL sign for "bull***t" IIRC.

Quite obvious when you think about it.
:)

Yes thats true, it most certainly is. Most BSL signs are obvious really.

One of my favourite signs is "Ugly Cow". A thumb is for good things, a little finger for bad and using the horn sign at either side of the head is for cow. So, draw a circle with your little finger over your face and do the horns and...bobs yer uncle.

It flows so nicely...:D

A couple of the girls at school learned BSL just so they could gossip about people in the lunch queue.

Re: the gesture being used to ward off priests, see Paul Theroux's book The Pillars of Hercules where he describes young men in rural Italy surreptitiously making this sign to priests behind their backs etc

Probably in the earliest days of metal the sign was interpreted as "Hail Satan" and surely there must be another, more old and wiser signification. But to give my opinion on the topic of why celebrities are doing it, its probably like others said to be cool and hip on MTV since now everyone's doing it. Dont ask Liza Maneli or whatever her name is to name an Iron Maiden song though. Its so popular in pop culture that in Montreal there is a publicity for the baseball team that show that sign, next to it it says DEVIL. On the left, theres the same sign inverted and it says SOFTBALL or something like that (sign used for baseball people to call a softball). Wierd marketing hun? The same goes with "peace" and like "fastball".

But still its scary seing Bush doing it....:rolleyes:

Interesting link to see the US sign of I love you in action.

Link here. Then click on the letter I and look in the right hand column.

Just in case anyone is interested.

I think I figured out the pic of bush showing horns. I was just watching the news abd saw footage of Laura Bush throwing up some horns, which triggered memories of a football game I watched this weekend where Michigan got beat by the Texas "Longhorns," which explains them two and the sign of the devil. Still funny though........

I think it was Dio, who got it from his Granny, who made the gesture universally popular. Dio isn't a Satanist, his lyrics are fantasy oriented (much more than Ozzy's were in Sabbath), so I'd say he was just doing it to say "Hell Yeah! This is great!"
Obviously, young metal fans like myself saw it and thought "Horns? Must be a devil sign. That's cool!" and started to do it all the time, which meant it became part of popular culture. I really don't see real Satanist metal bands like Deicide and Akercocke doing it all the time though (not in a Satanism context at least), so I really think it has nothing to do with Satanism.

i saw gene simmons claim to have invented it on a tv interview once. he said he started doing it because that's the mudra steve ditko drew spidey and dr strange using to activate their special powers. in the absence of a more entertaining or oddly humble secret-origin story, that's the one that most smart-thinking folk go for today. (this regarding the sign's use in the sphere of rawk, not signing or anything proper like that.) :devil:

Lenny Henry does the sign while saying "Katanga my friend", Donald Sutherland in Eye of the needle does it while whistling to calm angry dogs and Vin Diesel as Riddick does the same trick in Chronicles.

Norwegians Confused by Bush Salute

Fri Jan 21, 8:55 AM ET

OSLO, Norway - Many Norwegian television viewers were shocked to see U.S. President George W. Bush (news - web sites) and family apparently saluting Satan during the U.S. inauguration.

But in reality, it was just a sign of respect for the University of Texas Longhorns, whose fans are known to shout out "Hook 'em, horns!" at athletic events.

The president and family were photographed lifting their right hands with their index and pinky fingers raised up, much like a horn.

But in much of the world those "horns" are a sign of the devil. In the Nordics, the hand gesture is popular among death metal and black metal groups and fans.

"Shock greeting from Bush daughter," a headline in the Norwegian Internet newspaper Nettavisen said late Wednesday above a photograph of Bush's daughter, Jenna, smiling and showing the sign.

Bush, a former Texas governor, was simply greeting the Texas Longhorn marching band as it passed during a Washington D.C. parade in the president's honor, explained Verdens Gang, Norway's largest newspaper.

Just the same, the Internet was abuzz Thursday with speculation about what the Bushes really mean by the sign.

Source

Another similar article:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=431141

and:

The Devil's Hand: No, It's Not 'Hook 'Em Horns'

by CONSPIRACY PLANET

The Devil's Hand: No, It's Not 'Hook 'Em Horns' "Devil's hand" (or "il cornuti" in Italian) signifies that satan rules. It is a universal hand signal used by politicians, celebrities as well as heavy metal bands, affirming their allegiance to satanic powers and a visual shorthand for "Hail, Satan."

The "devil's hand" is familiar to both Bill Clinton and George Bush as evidenced by the photos with the caption "the satanic torch is passed" on Steamshovel Press (www.steamshovelpress.com)

Both Laura and George Bush used this hand signal during the 2005 coronation (inauguration)of the US President on January 20.

The mainstram media cartel has tried to explain away this bizarre and occult hand signal by implying that this is the "hook 'em horns" sign used by Texas Longhorn football fans.

Not so. The devil's hand has been observed and photographed around the world, used by George Bush, Bill Clinton, Silvio Berlusconi, Elizabeth Taylor, Prince William, Paul McCartney,Metallica, Ozzie, Avril Lavigne, Stephen Dorff, Dave Navarro and many others.

Source

Well, apparently the "hook 'em horns" has been around since ~ 1955, so I'd go with the official explanation. As well as having the background to the origin of the symbol, this website also shows the rather odd photo of two people wearing large "hook 'em horns" masks. :shock:
http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/ ... ookem.html

Next people will be saying that the use of the Hawaian Shaka wave really means that you're wanted on the phone. ;)

Back