• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Thundersnow

I heard thunder before the hail started, and it's still hailing now, sometimes easing off and sometimes getting very heavy.

I remember one summer thunderstorm that went on all night, but at a distance, so there was no rain or hail where I was. Today is the longest period of hail I can remember.

ETA:
Thunder and lightning storms have also caused power cuts in Cornwall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11859868
No power cut here, but my internet link dropped out 5 minutes ago - I thought the weather was probably involved.

intaglioreally was last seen 10 years ago, according to the forums. :(

Anyways, I've experienced thundersnow a couple of times. Nothing spectacular, but it was kind of neat.

We had plenty of thundersnow when I lived in Hungary. It was common in the depths of winter, around January/February.
I thought it was dramatic and unusual but the Hungarians hardly noticed it.

I found this interesting ... It's now known that ice crystals in thundersnow events align with the electromagnetic field associated with the lightning, and this alignment is visible as a coherent graphical artifact on modern radar displays.

It makes me wonder whether this or similar effects would account for some of the radar anomalies associated with UFO cases.

Ice Crystals Are Forming Strange Patterns Above NYC
For miles above the highest spires of New York City, the ice has turned. Uncountable billions of ice crystals, each of them just about a millimeter in length, have spontaneously organized. All together at once, as if hearing (or delivering) some unheard instruction, they are pointing. That way. That way. That way.

Follow the lines of their frigid tips and you'll find an invisible thing of enormous power: a massive field of electrical force, stretching over much of the length of the storm. That field is the source of the lightning bolts and thundersnow (loud claps that accompany some snowstorms) that are being heard across Manhattan today.

It's March 7, the day of a powerful nor'easter stretching from Maryland to Boston, and National Weather Service Storm Prediction Center forecaster Joey Picca said this sort of strange alignment — which happens inside clouds — isn't incredibly rare or surprising. But it is unusual enough for forecasters to start geeking out. ...

... "We don't experience it every day or every month, even, at that. But with our observation capabilities, we do see some thundersnow from time to time with the stronger storm systems."

Those observation capabilities are pretty new. Scientists have only been able to watch the ice crystals align this way on radar for the last six or seven years, Picca said, thanks to advances in sensing technology. And with modern radar, we can see that the effect is dramatic. ...

SOURCE: https://www.livescience.com/61960-noreaster-ice-crystals-nyc.html

Back