• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Im on the track of DNA and scat every time i'm in Taz.
It looks fuzzy on a computer screen but i saw it blown up on a big screen at their house and studied it for over an hour. I don't think its a quoll, fox or dog. I think its a Tasmania wolf.

I heard an interview with Bob Brown on the ABC radio yesterday. He is a Tasmanian, former leader of the Australian Green Party, and an erstwhile Thylacine hunter. He reckons it was a spotted tail Quoll - which are common in that area and come out during the day this time of the year to build nests.

I find it hard to argue with him, and it kind of makes me a Negative Nelly. But it fits in with the size of the animal and I am kind of inclined to go along with the more likely scenario.

I heard an interview with Bob Brown on the ABC radio yesterday. He is a Tasmanian, former leader of the Australian Green Party, and an erstwhile Thylacine hunter. He reckons it was a spotted tail Quoll - which are common in that area and come out during the day this time of the year to build nests.

I find it hard to argue with him, and it kind of makes me a Negative Nelly. But it fits in with the size of the animal and I am kind of inclined to go along with the more likely scenario.
I've seen spotted quolls in the wild, this thing looks bigger and moves differently.

I still say I hope it's true this time. Some nay-sayers are so certain they are extinct that they would still deny them if one bit them in the butt.

I still say I hope it's true this time. Some nay-sayers are so certain they are extinct that they would still deny them if one bit them in the butt.

Brig, do you know anything about the thylacine? How many years have you put into the subject?

I suppose what I'm asking is where you get the idea that there are 'naysayers' from, rather than those who've come to a perfectly reasonable conclusion based on the evidence?

Brig, if this is the evidence that these fellas go on, then I'm a naysayer. Specifically because this is like circumstantial evidence, and not even good circumstantial evidence.

I know that they're still out there, no worries, but this sycophantic behaviour that some of us Aussies exhibit at times like this I find embarrassing.

To me it shows that 'they' are prepared to accept anything just to be able to confirm that there's Thylacines out there, possibly to alleviate some misguided guilt on the destruction that their grandfathers wreaked on the species.

I might come across as arrogant and bombastic and for that I apologise but these armchair researchers who have never been out there and turned over scats, or bagged a fur specimen, yet can talk about paw ratios, gait, and calls give me the screaming Edgars.

I suppose I'm simply a romantic hoping the Tas wolf is still around. I'm also hoping they can be brought back if they really are extinct. There were "experts" that denied the Celocanth (sp) when one was caught but the remains were lost. A Hoax they cried; "Nothing could exist that long unchanged". But they did and still are. I also remember the roof almost came off the Science building when I suggested that perhaps the theory of Continental Drift might be valid. I was told in no uncertain terms "The continents do not move". We all know better, don't we?

I also remember the roof almost came off the Science building when I suggested that perhaps the theory of Continental Drift might be valid. I was told in no uncertain terms "The continents do not move". We all know better, don't we?
Was that in the 1950s?

Myth: Yep. Things do change don't they?

I was just a "dumb" freshman at the time but the east coast of the new world just looked like it fit the outline of the old world too perfectly to be coincidence. At the time I thought I was going to be shot at sunrise. The reaction was horrendous. Though vindicated I sure felt like an idiot at the time.

Thought it interesting that Nick Mooney said there is a "30 per cent chance" that the video clip could be a Tiger.....and also the Tas Government are interested in the footage.

Heh,heh, so long as he isn't shot at sunrise.:nods:

Not really my thing, but here's an article by Nick Money which those interested in the question of whether they still persist might find interesting. Mooney is definitely a man to listen to though.

https://beta.capeia.com/zoology/2016/09/07/thylacine-the-improbable-tiger

Nice work OR, can anybody shed any any light on the 1973 Ben Nevis sighting or the 1988 sighting ( this is interesting as several people allegedly saw the creature.) Which was in the Nick Mooney piece.

Nice work OR, can anybody shed any any light on the 1973 Ben Nevis sighting or the 1988 sighting ( this is interesting as several people allegedly saw the creature.) Which was in the Nick Mooney piece.

No idea who the naturalist was but it'd be possible to find out, it'll just take some digging. The multiple sighting will be on file somewhere too. I'll ask about that one.

Not really my thing, but here's an article by Nick Money which those interested in the question of whether they still persist might find interesting. Mooney is definitely a man to listen to though.

https://beta.capeia.com/zoology/2016/09/07/thylacine-the-improbable-tiger

No idea who the naturalist was but it'd be possible to find out, it'll just take some digging. The multiple sighting will be on file somewhere too. I'll ask about that one.

Yes please OR, the multiple sighting is especially interesting.

I'd suggest going through a list of Tasmanian wildlife articles from the era, and start searching for the authors names along with 'thylacine sighting', someone will have discussed it somewhere. Then take it from there.

As for the multiple sighting I've asked, someone should pick it up, if I hear anything I'll pass it on.

Actually, this is bugging me now, I can't find anything about either sighting. I'll get back to you.

Sorry Andy, no one seems to know any more.

I tell you where they might be, that's in the records released under the FOI request someone put in, I've read them, but don't know where. It was Mooney' files they released though.

I've only spoken (by message) to him once, and I don't know him, so can't help there. I don't want to ask people who do, and who I know, as I'm after favours all the time, so don't want to push it.

I've only spoken (by message) to him once, and I don't know him, so can't help there. I don't want to ask people who do, and who I know, as I'm after favours all the time, so don't want to push it.

It was a bit of a joke OR, however would love to pick his brains and hear his thoughts on the Tiger.

I read that another trail camera picked up an image of a Tas Tiger. But they admitted it was a night shot and they couldn't tell if the beast was stripped or not. Anyone else see this report? I didn't have enough sense to make a note of where I saw it or other details. I think it might have been Daily Grail.

I read that another trail camera picked up an image of a Tas Tiger. But they admitted it was a night shot and they couldn't tell if the beast was stripped or not. Anyone else see this report? I didn't have enough sense to make a note of where I saw it or other details. I think it might have been Daily Grail.

Is this new footage going to be released l wonder?

I have no idea. I'm still kicking myself for not making a note of the source. I was hoping others out there may have seen it and can tell us more.

I have no idea. I'm still kicking myself for not making a note of the source. I was hoping others out there may have seen it and can tell us more.

There's been no talk about anything like this recently. Normally this sort of thing gets plenty of attention.

Is this Craggy Island where the Tasmanian wolf (latest) reported appearance occurred?

Back