• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A

Anonymous

General question how many of you believe there is a possibility for the creature to still roam the earth? Scale from 1-10. 10 Being positive 1 being No way. Im going with 10, the world is so vast and there are many remote locations that has not been explored. It is highly unlikely that all thylacines been terminated.

Actually, Com0n, the areas where thylacines could still be lurking are the very opposite of vast. Granted the world is vast, but the areas where thylacines lived are not. They are also well explored and mostly environmentally badly damaged.

I'd give the critters' chances of still being around as a 3. :(

com0n said:
It is highly unlikely that all thylacines been terminated.
Why is it so highly unlikely when we have already "terminated" so many other animals so effectively? I'd probably go with about a 2 because realistic as I am I would still like there to be Thylacines left. And each of all the other many many species we have done over.

I agree with Min. I would like there still to be a Thylacine lurking, as well as many other creatures that have long since departed, but the probability is remote. I am about a 1 on the scale.

i disagree. sure there is a slight possibility that they all may be exstinct BUT what are the chances of a group of people successfully killing off "every" single thylacine? i mean they thought they killed all when one was found and brought to a zoo. What are the chances of another being out there with a small Breeding population. I say the chances are pretty good, just takes time and the right person to find one. There have already been sightings of this creature roaming Astraulia.

com0n said:
i disagree. sure there is a slight possibility that they all may be exstinct BUT what are the chances of a group of people successfully killing off "every" single thylacine? .

Unfortunately mate, they don't need to kill off every single one. Some species need quite high concentrations of population per km sq to successfully reproduce. Also the stress of low population density and habitat change can kill off the stragglers of a reduced population. This tends to be the way carnivores go, South China Tigers are to all intents and purposes extinct even though there may be a few left. They were hunted to a point where the hunters couldn't find any more of them and habitat loss and stress will do the rest.

com0n said:
i disagree. sure there is a slight possibility that they all may be exstinct BUT what are the chances of a group of people successfully killing off "every" single thylacine? i mean they thought they killed all when one was found and brought to a zoo. What are the chances of another being out there with a small Breeding population. I say the chances are pretty good, just takes time and the right person to find one. There have already been sightings of this creature roaming Astraulia.

I hope that there is a small and sustainable breeding population somewhere.
But I also further hope that they are never found, because I get the nasty feeling that they would be driven away by well meaning investigators/rubbernecking tourists crashing around in their range

Yeah, 2-3 (maybe) for all the reasons cited. Top of the food chain carnivores are just a lot more vulnverable in so many ways than comparably-sized herbivores.

If they were still around, what would they be eating? Weren't they blamed for killing sheep and hunted down to stop this, with a price literally put on each thylacine scalp? Wouldn't farmers notice if their animals were being killed again?

I think if there were thylacines left farmers would be inclined to blame stock losses on Tasmanian devils or stay/feral dogs.
There are some areas of Tasmania were they might still be living, but the Tasmanian Government's logging policy should soon fix that.

It's often been found that claims of wild animals (be they thylacines, devils, wolves, foxes, etc) destroying livestock are unfounded. While it's true that the animals will take sick or young animals, they rarely damage stock to the extent claimed.

Extant thylacines would probably be able to get by on small mammals and carrion. Like the devils do.

And on devils, these days the local farmers apparently get on OK with them. I saw a documentary recently that suggested public education programs about the Tasmanian Devil had made the farming community more appreciative of their role in the environment.

Mainland Thylacines

Actually, the most likely spot for any remnant thylacines to be found is a fairly well populated area of farmland on the mainland next to one of Victoria's largest national parks - Wilson's Promontory in South Gippsland.

Apparently a group of thylacines was released in the national park in the early years of the 20th century when field naturalists realised that the critter was in trouble in Tassie. Since then there have been numerous sightings of striped dog-like animals around South Gippsland. Some people believe that there is still a small population of thylacines hanging on in and around the infrequently visited northern part of the park.

Maybe! But I still wouldn't rate the likelihood higher than a 3, and probably lower. :cry:

On a good day i would give it 6 or 7. On a more pessi view as low as a 2 to 3. In Austrailia itself it wasnt just humans that wiped this creature out. Competetion with imported dogs was also a factor. Although it survived longer in Tas. It was still declining even before europeans arrived on the scene. If any did manage to survive it would have to be in an area where there was little human settlements and a very low population of dingos and stray dogs.

com0n said:
There have already been sightings of this creature roaming Astraulia.
Ah, another Grauniad reader, I see!

Could be a thylacine. Could be my great aunt Sandy. Could be just about anything.

“What song the Syrens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, although puzzling questions are not beyond all conjecture.”

-Sir Thomas Browne

The first thing I thought, it is a photo taken of whatever, through ferns. Hence the ragged tail appearance.

ummm...what's "bobar"? confused

I think it's similar to fubar?
Bobar means 'rubbish' ... I think it comes from a name for shit.

It's an extreme closeup of a couple of dead leaves?

Blurry

One word: BLURRY.

Yes, it COULD be a Thylacine. But it could just as easily be five Canadian dentists playing Canasta in a Munich biergarten.

Don't be ridiculous.

Canadian dentists prefer to play bridge, so there would never be 5 of them.

Alas, you can prove anything with overlays. It was an overlay that at one time had me convinced that Anna Anderson was truly the Princess Anastasia, a possibility since disproved through DNA analysis.

But I am now informed that the Cryptomundo images are from a NEWSPAPER reproduction and that the original glossies are MUCH clearer. [They'd HAVE to be!]

So I hope we get to see them.

New supposed Thylacine photo from Cryptomundo: http://www.cryptomundo.com/bigfoot-repo ... ine-photo/

In complete opposition to the other one, this one looks suspiciously close up and clear - if it's an actual live, wild animal, he must have got incredibly close...

Some people reckon it might be a photo of a stuffed specimen in a museum, but i'm not sure - the colour of the exposed skin and the smooth, "healthy" look of the fur strongly suiggest a live animal to me...

I can't make out a head at all (the front end of the animal is hidden behind long grass, but the back end, albeit not the tail which is out of frame, is very clearly visible), unlike some of those who claim that they can see a head shaped like that of a pig... annoying that neither the head nor the tail, both of which would be absolutely diagnostic if it was a thylacine, are in frame...

Real or dog with dyed stripes?

Could be a replica as opposed to a stuffed specimen, would probably look more lifelike. Other possibility is a numbat perhaps?
mammal_numbat.jpg

Back