• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Thylacines & Thylacoleos: Pre-1936 & Genetic Ethics

If they want to try and bring Taz back; I'm all for it. If Taz is still around, adding a few to its numbers can't hurt. The exercise would also aid in bringing back other species that humans have rendered extinct.

They might have the technology to produce an egg. They definitely do not have the technology to develope it though, and it really may never come.

Reactions: Jim
Col Baily convinced of the pedigree of Elias Churchill's hut. https://www.examiner.com.au/story/6...bailey-certain-churchills-hut-was-legitimate/

"Bailey said the "breakthrough" in the early stages of his research into the thylacine came in 1969, when he conducted a phone interview with the late tiger trapper Elias Churchill.
The diminutive Churchill caught the last captive thylacine near Adamsfield, a now-abandoned osmiridium mining outpost in the state's remote south-west. Benjamin, as the tiger came to be known, was sold to the Hobart Zoo, where he died in 1936.
It was in a hut built by Churchill that Benjamin was kept before he was transported to Hobart via the Fitzgerald railway station."

Previously unknown footage of the last captive tiger has been unearthed by three highly charismatic yet unassuming thylacine researchers.

Previously unknown footage of the last captive tiger has been unearthed by three highly charismatic yet unassuming thylacine researchers.

That is some f***ing amazing research and footage right there. Now lets get a modern, live one on film.

It breaks my heart every time I see footage of Benjamin stuck in it's small cage. And as for the fuckwits banging on the wire... :chain:

Because most people probably tend to overestimate the size of this thylacine, who wasn't called Benjamin, that enclosure looks much bigger than it actually was. It was 18' x 8' x 4.5', roughly the size of a car parking space. Poor little sod had enough on his plate without someone banging on the wire.

It breaks my heart every time I see footage of Benjamin stuck in it's small cage. And as for the fuckwits banging on the wire... :chain:
Yes, its repetitive behaviour tells me that it is depressed or suffering from distress. Not good.

Because most people probably tend to overestimate the size of this thylacine, who wasn't called Benjamin, that enclosure looks much bigger than it actually was. It was 18' x 8' x 4.5', roughly the size of a car parking space. Poor little sod had enough on his plate without someone banging on the wire.

I've always heard it referred to as Benjamin, but I'm happy to be corrected. I know that it was probably a standard cage size for zoos at the time but a cage the size of a car park with what looks like a cement floor would have been cruel.

Back