• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Lapse Photography

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
London to Brighton in four minutes
In the 1950's the BBC recorded several interludes which were shown between programmes - often because they weren't ready to broadcast the next programme, a lot of which were live. The most famous interludes were the potters wheel, kittens playing, and this classic from 1953, a timelapse film of the journey from Victoria to Brighton by train, filmed from the drivers cab.
The cameraman had to hand-crank the camera at 2 frames per second instead of the usual 25 for the entire journey to create the effect. Every so often he would run out of film & had to replace it. To hide the missing gaps while he changed the roll of film, a view of the train driver at the controls was shown.
The effect is we get a view of the train rushing down the track faster than the speed of sound at 765mph.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kV6Kx4jbpeY&NR=1

2006 : A more modern version:
http://lobsterpictures.tv/clip_lonbri.php

And now we have - London to Glasgow in five minutes!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7784179.stm

All of which reminds me of the Six Five Special
(which has nothing to do with TLP!)
http://www.pcplanets.com/videoyoutube-qp-8A0y-Pyw.shtml

But I like the music! :D
http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/id/561782/[/quote]

Any more TLP links, post them here!

I wish the London to Brighton train did take only four minutes...

Nice clips - I've seen the first one before. Didn't they used to show it on TV just before it went off the air or something?

It was Sprog to Coffin in four minutes that always scared the hell out of me.

They don't show it much these days. Thank God! :nonplus:

JamesWhitehead said:
It was Sprog to Coffin in four minutes that always scared the hell out of me.
Don't remember that one, but now I'm past the half-way point of the sequence, it does seem rather fast! :shock: :(

Wasn't there one on TV back in the eighties that travelled round the coast of Britain in speeded-up motion? The footage was taken from an Air Force plane if I remember rightly.

There have been a lot of time lapse films of things like flowers opening
- I like those (old softie that I am).

And there are films of dead bodies decaying (well, I'm a bit weird too! 8) )

Yes, it was a `Horizon` ep `Round Britain Whiz`

anyone else remember it??

rynner2 said:
And now we have - London to Glasgow in five minutes!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7784179.stm
I did the Brum to Preston stretch of that last week, both ways. I too wish it had lasted five minutes. The actual journeys themselves were fine, BTW - it's the piddling about waiting for trains to bloody arrive that irritates me. The one on the return leg was so late that they changed the intended platform three times..:evil:

Anyway, I digress. Thanks for those, Ryn.

There was a fad for time-lapse photography some years ago in TV documentaries. We saw fungi growing, tides advancing and receding and dead animals rotting.

These visual effects were foreseen by HG Well in The Time Machine, of course:

As I put on pace, night followed day like the flapping of a black wing. The dim suggestion of the laboratory seemed presently to fall away from me, and I saw the sun hopping swiftly across the sky, leaping it every minute, and every minute marking a day. I supposed the laboratory had been destroyed and I had come into the open air. I had a dim impression of scaffolding, but I was already going too fast to be conscious of any moving things. The slowest snail that ever crawled dashed by too fast for me. The twinkling succession of darkness and light was excessively painful to the eye. Then, in the intermittent darknesses, I saw the moon spinning swiftly through her quarters from new to full, and had a faint glimpse of the circling stars. Presently, as I went on, still gaining velocity, the palpitation of night and day merged into one continuous greyness; the sky took on a wonderful deepness of blue, a splendid luminous color like that of early twilight; the jerking sun became a streak of fire, a brilliant arch, in space; the moon a fainter fluctuating band; and I could see nothing of the stars, save now and then a brighter circle flickering in the blue.

The landscape was misty and vague. I was still on the hill-side upon which this house now stands, and the shoulder rose above me grey and dim. I saw trees growing and changing like puffs of vapour, now brown, now green; they grew, spread, shivered, and passed away. I saw huge buildings rise up faint and fair, and pass like dreams. The whole surface of the earth seemed changed - melting and flowing under my eyes. The little hands upon the dials that registered my speed raced round faster and faster. Presently I noted that the sun belt swayed up and down, from solstice to solstice, in a minute or less, and that consequently my pace was over a year a minute; and minute by minute the white snow flashed across the world, and vanished, and was followed by the bright, brief green of spring.

What a genius. 8)

Time-lapse shopping centre build

A webcam at the building site of the £675m St David's shopping centre extension in Cardiff caught construction work as it developed. The time delay shows two years' work in three minutes.

Footage courtesy of St David's

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7843271.stm?ls

London 2012 stadium takes shape

With 1,000 days until the London 2012 Olympic games begin, the stadium in Stratford is taking shape.

The bowl of the 80,000 seat venue now appears to be near completion.

This video shows the past 16 months of construction compressed into two minutes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8332969.stm

Don't blink or you might miss a day of snow! ;)

Oh, I've watched the videos a lot - completely fascinating! But AFAIK we don't have a thread for high-speed photography...

When I'm out taking photos, I sometimes take more than one of the same scene. This is sometimes to experiment with focus or framing, and sometimes to have a back-up if conditions are difficult, eg, windy.

Today I took several pics, and I reviewed them on the bus going home. I deleted one which was blurred, and another where the shutter had obviously been pressed by mistake.

Then came a surprise: I was looking at a pic of a coastal shanty town, with fluffy white clouds in the blue sky above. All of a sudden the clouds jumped to a new position! 'Hey!' I thought, 'That's impossible...', and I thought at first I must have taken a short movie clip by accident.

But the truth is, I had two shanty town pics, and by an amazing chance they were both framed exactly the same. (Normally you'd need a tripod for that, but I had the camera in my hands!) So, clicking from one pic to another, shanty town appeared in the same place, but the clouds had moved on in the interval between the pics. I'd inadvertently created a small segment of time lapse photography! :D

Which was nice... ;)

"Kinetic Edinburgh" on BBC News / Scotland

If your from Edinburgh you'll love this, if you're a fan of timelapse photography you'll love this, if you've never been but always wanted to see "The Athens of the North" you'll love this. If you just want to spend four minutes looking at nice pictures and nice music....
...you'll love this.

A delightful short film with a very pleasant soundtrack.

A new stop-motion film by an award winning Edinburgh film-maker has captured some of the city's famous landmarks.

Walid Salhab, 52, is a lecturer at Queen Margaret University and his first short film Bra-et Al Rouh (Innocence of the Spirit), about a six year old girl who befriends a homeless man on the streets of the city, won two awards at the Cannes Film Festival.

He has now released the stop-motion and time lapse piece Kinetic Edinburgh online. It forms a taster to his new project about a banker who has fallen on hard times.

Mr Salhab said: "I put some shots together to get a reaction and it's been overwhelming. I've got emails from Australia, I've got emails from Scots all over the world ... it's just an amazing reaction."

I wish there was a button on this forum that would let posters thank, or fan, good posts.

Excellent. Thanks, Mooksta! :yeay:

I likey too!

:yeay:

Pietro_Mercurios said:
I wish there was a button on this forum that would let posters thank, or fan, good posts.

Excellent. Thanks, Mooksta! :yeay:

Mythopoeika said:
I likey too!

:) A pleasure.

I'm a fan of a time-lapsed city (Probably Koyaanisqati's fault), another stunner for you albeit by professional photographer Rob Whitworth.

Kuala Lumpur Time Lapse

Enjoy!
:D

Me likey that one too!

That's such a beautiful advert for Kuala Lumpur. Now I want to go there!

Back