• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

Correct. I most certainly does not contemplate the notion of a Hoax. But then that's was largely Strange but True?'s MO - to present an account and ask the viewer to decide for themselves as to whether they believed it.

I'd agree with that. Or indeed of any establishment which wanted to present a rustic feel. They are not, of themselves, definitive evidence of a timeslip.

I guess as a secondary question I wonder what a typical late 1970s Gendarme uniform looked like. It is far from implausible that a rain cape could have been covering a modern day (for the 1970s) uniform. Though were rain capes (the like of which we probably most associate with Arthur Bostrom in 'Allo 'Allo) still in use back then?

Again, far from implausible. It seems likely that both couples only had a rudimentary knowledge of French.

The one key detail (as far as Len was concerned) is that he was certain that the word the officers did not understand was 'Autoroute'. A pretty specific term. And one which it would be very difficult to mispronounce. So I suppose there's that.

True. Although receipts do tend to be very disposable items. If he had it it would be exceptionally useful. But we probably should also consider that certainly while they were staying on-site neither couple considered the experience as too far out of the ordinary. Rustic. But not surreal. Not at the time. It was only when they returned home, and the photos they believed they had taken hadn't appeared on the roll. Up to that point expect that not being able to find the place a second time was more of a 'pain in the arse' than 'spooky' :)

Possible, yes. Although it does require a simultaneous error of both mishearing and then handing over far more money than you misheard, whilst simultaneously not questioning what change you also received back.

True enough. It's easy to lose your bearings anywhere rural without directions. Simply 'getting lost' or misremembering steps you'd taken days or weeks earlier is far from uncommon.
If memory serves, didn't the 1900 incident in Versaille NOT involve interaction? I recall that that one was almost like being in a theater. Nobody from the 'French Court' that they saw seemed to react to the presence of the two English ladies or even to notice them in any way. They (the two ladies, that is) were only observers.

If memory serves, didn't the 1900 incident in Versaille NOT involve interaction? I recall that that one was almost like being in a theater. Nobody from the 'French Court' that they saw seemed to react to the presence of the two English ladies or even to notice them in any way. They (the two ladies, that is) were only observers.

I can't say for sure. I'm talking about the Avignon Rural Hotel story. I've not read a published account of the Versailles case myself. But from other discussion points in this thread it think you could be right. Carl Grove might know more.

Correct. I most certainly does not contemplate the notion of a Hoax. But then that's was largely Strange but True?'s MO - to present an account and ask the viewer to decide for themselves as to whether they believed it.

I'd agree with that. Or indeed of any establishment which wanted to present a rustic feel. They are not, of themselves, definitive evidence of a timeslip.

I guess as a secondary question I wonder what a typical late 1970s Gendarme uniform looked like. It is far from implausible that a rain cape could have been covering a modern day (for the 1970s) uniform. Though were rain capes (the like of which we probably most associate with Arthur Bostrom in 'Allo 'Allo) still in use back then?

Again, far from implausible. It seems likely that both couples only had a rudimentary knowledge of French.

The one key detail (as far as Len was concerned) is that he was certain that the word the officers did not understand was 'Autoroute'. A pretty specific term. And one which it would be very difficult to mispronounce. So I suppose there's that.

True. Although receipts do tend to be very disposable items. If he had it it would be exceptionally useful. But we probably should also consider that certainly while they were staying on-site neither couple considered the experience as too far out of the ordinary. Rustic. But not surreal. Not at the time. It was only when they returned home, and the photos they believed they had taken hadn't appeared on the roll. Up to that point expect that not being able to find the place a second time was more of a 'pain in the arse' than 'spooky' :)

Possible, yes. Although it does require a simultaneous error of both mishearing and then handing over far more money than you misheard, whilst simultaneously not questioning what change you also received back.

True enough. It's easy to lose your bearings anywhere rural without directions. Simply 'getting lost' or misremembering steps you'd taken days or weeks earlier is far from uncommon.

Thanks for your reply!

I guess this is where we have to turn to Ockam's Razor. If the majority of the Simpsons' "Avin You On" timeslip can be explained rationally, then is it more likely that the very few bits that apparently defy explanation (the missing photos and gendarme's ignorance of the word autoroute) are more likely to be down to hoax/elaboration/misremembering than a glitch in the fabric of time?

I certainly find this case far less convincing than, say, the Victor Goddard incident.

Forgot to say I have located the other Roman time slip:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1031526/pg1
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1031526/pg1
Not as dramatic as the trident case!

Thanks, Carl.

So, in effect this chap says he saw a 'Warrior' of some kind (possibly a Gladiator) and two 'Guards' as a child, whilst away from his family at the coliseum. Seeing him caused at least one guard to drop whatever he was holding.

It's unclear if he saw, but certainly claims to have heard, the sounds of a crowd. Cheering and laughing.

And he claims to have asked two questions of the Guards in Italian.

The phrases in Italian which he has posted don't translate cleanly via the wonders of Google Translate (reliable as I know that may not be :) ):

"quello che successo dove sono e questo Roma ?"

comes back as

what success is there and this Rome?

"che ore sono , se io sono a Roma ? "

comes back as

what time are they, if I'm in Rome?

Now I don't speak Italian. I have no way of telling if that is genuine Italian and Google Translate making a hash of it. Does anybody here? Is this real Italian or somebody having used a translation tool to add convincing text?

Thanks for your reply!

I guess this is where we have to turn to Ockam's Razor. If the majority of the Simpsons' "Avin You On" timeslip can be explained rationally, then is it more likely that the very few bits that apparently defy explanation (the missing photos and gendarme's ignorance of the word autoroute) are more likely to be down to hoax/elaboration/misremembering than a glitch in the fabric of time?

I certainly find this case far less convincing than, say, the Victor Goddard incident.

Oh there are certainly some clear and plausible gaps in their story. If you or I were experiencing this kind of event (even if we didn't suspect anything odd until after the event) we might be far more likely to have kept and referenced items like a receipt as proof of our visit. But we do also have to take under some consideration that it probably would not occur to most random everyday kind of people to hold onto things like that.

It's one of the biggest problems for any kind of fortean interest mystery like this. They always seem to happen to people never expecting them to, who are neither prepared for the experience or have any scientific way of documenting it. It's a one in a million weird experience. Probably never to repeat again for them.

I would very much like to ask the other couple involved whether they believed this to be a Timeslip. It's clear Len does, at no point in the Strange But True? interview does the other couple acknowledge it as such directly.

Thanks, Carl.

So, in effect this chap says he saw a 'Warrior' of some kind (possibly a Gladiator) and two 'Guards' as a child, whilst away from his family at the coliseum. Seeing him caused at least one guard to drop whatever he was holding.

It's unclear if he saw, but certainly claims to have heard, the sounds of a crowd. Cheering and laughing.

And he claims to have asked two questions of the Guards in Italian.

The phrases in Italian which he has posted don't translate cleanly via the wonders of Google Translate (reliable as I know that may not be :) ):

"quello che successo dove sono e questo Roma ?"

comes back as

what success is there and this Rome?

"che ore sono , se io sono a Roma ? "

comes back as

what time are they, if I'm in Rome?

Now I don't speak Italian. I have no way of telling if that is genuine Italian and Google Translate making a hash of it. Does anybody here? Is this real Italian or somebody having used a translation tool to add convincing text?

My Italian is basic conversational and "quello che e successo" means what's happening / what's going on?

Summer before last I visited the Verona colosseum, which predates the Roman one by some 50 years but is in a much better state of repair. In fact, it's still regularly used for operas and concerts. As I strolled around, taking a few photos, I reached the end of a walkway and area where tourists were not permitted. Suddenly, I saw a couple of Roman soldiers, one with a red cloak and plumed helmet and one in classic gladiator gear. Wow! I thought. Gotta tell my friends on the FT forum about this! Until the "centurion" lit up a cigarette and the "gladiator" headed towards the entrance to encourage the tourists to have their photos taken with him at 10 euros a shot. At times around the site, the impressive sound system was used to advertise services and I think there was the occasional sounds of cheering and gladiatorial combat to add to the atmosphere. Don't know if the Rome colosseum has similar facilities, but it's a possible explanation, with the young boy's imagination filling in the rest.

Last edited:
My Italian is basic conversational and "quello che e successo" means what's happening / what's going on?

Summer before last I visited the Verona colosseum, which predates the Roman one by some 50 years but is in a much better state of repair. In fact, it's still regularly used for operas and concerts. As I strolled around, taking a few photos, I reached the end of a walkway and area where tourists were not permitted. Suddenly, I saw a couple of Roman soldiers, one with a red cloak and plumed helmet and one in classic gladiator gear. Wow! I thought. Gotta tell my friends on the FT forum about this! Until the "centurion" lit up a cigarette and the "gladiator" headed towards the
entrance to encourage the tourists to have their photos taken with him at 10 euros a shot. At times around the site, the impressive sound system was used to advertise services and I think there was the occasional sounds of cheering and gladiatorial combat to add to the atmosphere. Don't know if the Rome colosseum has similar facilities, but it's a possible explanation, with the young boy's imagination filling in the rest.

It absolutely could. :) It's hardly uncommon to have actors in full historical dress at a tourist venue. That they suddenly disappeared is a little more unusual, but the sound of a crowd could also likewise be recreated for the sense of dramatisation using speakers.

It's very difficult to be sure it's credible. But probably shouldn't be entirely written-off, either. I'm sure several of have childhood memories which seem utterly improbable but did have some truth in them.

Continuing this retrospective of earlier cases in this thread:

Seeing Paris in Haiti

Date:
Unknown (But some point before 1965, which was when the article was first published)

Type:

• Type 2: A clear sharp and totally realistic visual image. A witness will see it and have no idea that it is anything other than an ordinary image.

Persons Involved:
Ivan Sanderson and his wife, plus one witness (Frederick Allsop)

Number of Persons Involved: 2

Interactions:

• Visual – Change in Environmental Appearance and/or attire of persons in the vicinity.

Source of Testimony: Featured in The Mammoth Encyclopedia of the Unsolved by Colin Wilson. Referencing an article published in Fate, in 1965.

Description: Quoted:

In an article he wrote for Fate in 1965, Ivan Sanderson recounted an experience he and his wife had while doing a biological survey in Haiti. Their car got stuck in mud and they were walking home:

"Then suddenly, looking up from the dusty ground, I perceived absolutely clearly in the now brilliant moonlight, and casting shadows appropriate to their positions, three-storied houses of various shapes and sizes lining both sides of the road. These houses hung out over the road, which suddenly appeared to be muddy with patches of large cobblestones. The houses were of (I would say) about the Elizabethan period of England, but for some reason, I knew they were in Paris. They had pent roofs, some with dormer windows, gables, timbered porticos, and small windows with tiny leaded panes. Here and there, there were dull reddish lights burning behind them, as if from candles. There were iron-frame lanterns hanging from timbers jutting from some houses and they were all swaying together as if in a wind, but there was not the faintest movement of air about us. I could go on and on describing this scene as it was so vivid: if fact, I could draw it."

Sanderson's wife also saw the buildings, but the third member of their party, a man named Frederick Allsop, who was walking ahead of them, did not:

"We stood marvelling at what we apparently both now saw, picking out individual items and pointing, questioning each other as to details, etc. Curiously, we found ourselves swaying back and forth and began to feel very weak, so I called out to Fred, whose white shirt was fast disappearing ahead."

When Allsop ran back to join them, the apparition vanished, "and there was nothing before me but the endless and damned thorn bushes and cactus and bare earth."

Sanderson thought the experience might have been some kind of shared hallucination, possibly brought on by exhaustion:

"If two people can see the same 'non-existent' thing, how many more could? Does one have to have the very close rapport of a devoted husband and wife, or can mere cofraternity be enough? I don't know but I'd sure like to find out."

Notes: We have no concrete date for this account. The article referenced was first published in 1965, but there is no information directly telling us when this experience occurred in comparison to it.

As Mr Sanderson and his wife were in Haiti during this experience it would have to be considered a slip in not only time but also space.

It cannot be conclusively stated that what they saw was Paris. For one it is stated “The houses were of (I would say) about the Elizabethan period of England” – It seems an odd assumption that ‘this was Paris’ would be the logical assumption based upon that.

While Sanderson and his wife both seem to believe they were seeing the same buildings the third person in their party (Frederick Allsop) saw nothing. This could have been a shared hallucination, as Allsop suggested at the time.

Last edited:
Timeslip at Windsor Rail Station

Date: Summer 1974

Type: Type 3: A sharp realistic image that surrounds the witness. People in the image seem unaware of the witness's presence, and there is no physical contact with elements in the perceived environment.

Persons Involved: Ron (FTMB poster from the early 2000s)

Number of Persons Involved: 1

Interactions:

• Visual – Change in Environmental Appearance and/or attire of persons in the vicinity.

Source of Testimony: This very thread in posts #28 & #31

Description: I’ll quote Ron here:

It was in the summer of 1974, while working and living in Windsor town, near London.

I had a few days off so made head way for Windsor Railway station to find the departure times for a train to my hometown. I entered through the station doorway and everything seemed fine, but very quiet. It seemed more quite than usual for a railway station. I noticed only one person. He was standing at the ticket desk and was wearing a dark jacket and trousers. So, there was nothing unusual there. But when I stepped onto the platform where the notice board for departure details was situated, things were very different.

I made my way through the gateway of the platform and approached the board. As I scanned through the timetable something seemed out of place. The notice board was different in design to what it was on previous occasions. The tables seemed to be out of date too, and the text appeared to be old print. It had a Victorian feel about it.

Puzzled, I turned to look around the platform. It was very quite. On the seat to my right, against the railing were two ladies dressed in long frocks and hats that looked very much like late Victorian or early Edwardian dress. Further along the platform, approximately 100 yards or so there were a couple of gentlemen standing behind a camera and tripod facing in my direction.

My first thought was, have I witnessed a time slip, but when I noticed the camera I immediately thought I had walked into a photo session or film shot. So pretending I hadn’t noticed I quietly walked off and out of the station, half expecting to be yelled at.

I walked around town for a short while and my mind kept flashing back the incident. But my curiosity took the better of me. I had to go back to have a peek at what they were doing.

When I arrived at the station, I peeked though the platform gateway and found the two ladies in Victorian dress were no longer there, and neither were the two people with the camera. I stepped onto the platform to check the notice board and found it was back to its normal self. At that moment I convinced myself that the film session was over and they had moved on.

But later, while brooding over the incident, there were elements that didn’t seem to add up.

Firstly, there were no notice boards or anyone on duty to advise people that they couldn’t go onto the platform, which is what you would normally have expected.

Secondly, being a stranger, I wondered, when I walked onto the platform why didn’t they call out, telling me to get off. (I was there for at least two or three minutes, which was more than enough time to consider me an intruder). The two ladies who were sitting quite calmly on the platform seat didn’t seem bothered about it either.

Thirdly, if others who visited the station had noticed the film crew, and because of human curiosity, there would normally have been a small crowd of people trying to have a peek, but the station was empty and quite.

And finally, as I said, I left the station and walked around town for a short time, (it was only a few minutes), but then went back. On my return to the station I was impressed how quick everything seemed to have been put back to its normal self, with no evidence of the camera crew or the actresses, and the 6 feet by 4 feet board with the departure times was also back to normal. Not only that, there were no film crew vans or vehicles.

I was left with the distinct impression that I had experienced a time slip, afterwards thinking perhaps the cameramen may have been Victorian/Edwardian photographers, and the two ladies were simply waiting for the next train.

Obviously some of you will draw up your own conclusions as to whether or not this was a timeslip; but to me the facts presents a strong indication that it was. Not only that, the unusually quite atmosphere of the event adds to the conclusion.

Notes:

In relation to the possibility that this had just been a film shoot that he had stumbled upon, Ron later added the following:

• At the time of the event I did consider the possibility of them finishing and winding up for the day, (it was during the morning). But as I said, when I returned to the station a few minutes later to have a peep I was surprised by how quickly they had disappeared from the station. In fact, I even made a point of spending a little time looking for them. I searched the streets for a van or some kind of vehicle, which would obviously have the film company or fashion photographer’s name on it, but there was no sign of such a vehicle. I even looked around to see if either of the two ladies might be walking around to stretch their legs, and also for workers who might have removed the board, but again there was nothing. Not even a station porter to oversee the clearing up process. I then followed the only road that led into and out of the road where the station was, and then into town for signs of a film company vehicle that might have been caught in the traffic. Again it drew a blank. In fact, if there were such a vehicle, surely I would have noticed it on the way back to the station.

In relation to a question over the attire of the camera men:

• As for the two cameramen, I honestly can’t say for certain how they were dressed. All I consciously remember is two men in what appeared to be jacket and trousers standing by a tripod and camera that stood almost as tall as they were. However, having said that, when I think back to the scene my subconscious mind seems to kick in with an image of two Edwardian men wearing plus-fours standing by a tripod with a large box camera with a concertina lens.

It was suggested to Ron that if this were a timeslip then it was plausible that he could have ended up in their photo:

• As for the idea of stepping back and being photographed at the turn of the century by the two men, this did actually cross my mind too. I was saying only recently to my two now grown-up children, wouldn’t be fantastic if I could find some old photos of Windsor Station where it shows an image of a young man in clothes that didn’t fit in with the time period. I had long hair in the seventies, which would certainly be out of place at the turn of the century.
  • If such a photo did exist, then it would be a tremendous breakthrough giving evidence that timeslips are real, and that those in the past can see us in our time as well as us seeing them in their time.

The notion was suggested to Ron that at the time (2004) there was a historical display at Windsor Railway station, which had people in historical dress. The poster mentioning that they did not know how long it had been there. Ron’s response on this was:

• With regards to Ms Indigo’s remarks of a waxworks at the station set in the time of Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. There was no such set-up while I was working in Windsor during the early seventies. I made visits to the station quite frequently and never saw any sign of a waxworks display. So I don’t think it even comes into the equation.

At the time of posting Ron was trying to collate a catalogue of similar timeslip events. It is uncertain as to whether he ever completed that, as he does not appear to have migrated to the current Boards setup after the changes of the mid 2000s.

Last edited:
Continuing this retrospective of earlier cases in this thread:

Seeing Paris in Haiti

Date:
Unknown (But some point before 1965, which was when the article was first published)

Type:

• Type 2: A clear sharp and totally realistic visual image. A witness will see it and have no idea that it is anything other than an ordinary image.

Persons Involved:
Ivan Sanderson and his wife, plus one witness (Frederick Allsop)

Number of Persons Involved: 2

Interactions:

Source of Testimony: Featured in The Mammoth Encyclopedia of the Unsolved by Colin Wilson. Referencing an article published in Fate, in 1965.

Description: Quoted:

In an article he wrote for Fate in 1965, Ivan Sanderson recounted an experience he and his wife had while doing a biological survey in Haiti. Their car got stuck in mud and they were walking home:

"Then suddenly, looking up from the dusty ground, I perceived absolutely clearly in the now brilliant moonlight, and casting shadows appropriate to their positions, three-storied houses of various shapes and sizes lining both sides of the road. These houses hung out over the road, which suddenly appeared to be muddy with patches of large cobblestones. The houses were of (I would say) about the Elizabethan period of England, but for some reason, I knew they were in Paris. They had pent roofs, some with dormer windows, gables, timbered porticos, and small windows with tiny leaded panes. Here and there, there were dull reddish lights burning behind them, as if from candles. There were iron-frame lanterns hanging from timbers jutting from some houses and they were all swaying together as if in a wind, but there was not the faintest movement of air about us. I could go on and on describing this scene as it was so vivid: if fact, I could draw it."

Sanderson's wife also saw the buildings, but the third member of their party, a man named Frederick Allsop, who was walking ahead of them, did not:

"We stood marvelling at what we apparently both now saw, picking out individual items and pointing, questioning each other as to details, etc. Curiously, we found ourselves swaying back and forth and began to feel very weak, so I called out to Fred, whose white shirt was fast disappearing ahead."

When Allsop ran back to join them, the apparition vanished, "and there was nothing before me but the endless and damned thorn bushes and cactus and bare earth."

Sanderson thought the experience might have been some kind of shared hallucination, possibly brought on by exhaustion:

"If two people can see the same 'non-existent' thing, how many more could? Does one have to have the very close rapport of a devoted husband and wife, or can mere cofraternity be enough? I don't know but I'd sure like to find out."

Notes: We have no concrete date for this account. The article referenced was first published in 1965, but there is no information directly telling us when this experience occurred in comparison to it.

As Mr Sanderson and his wife were in Haiti during this experience it would have to be considered a slip in not only time but also space.

It cannot be conclusively stated that what they saw was Paris. For one it is stated “The houses were of (I would say) about the Elizabethan period of England” – It seems an odd assumption that ‘this was Paris’ would be the logical assumption based upon that.

While Sanderson and his wife both seem to believe they were seeing the same buildings the third person in their party (Frederick Allsop) saw nothing. This could have been a shared hallucination, as Allsop suggested at the time.
Interesting story and it also seems to be unusual in that time-slips alre almost always purely local. By that I mean that if a person is in Liverpool at the start of the slip, the slip takes him or her back in Liverpool's past. The Kansas highway worker was transported back to early Kansas from the 1970's to the period a century or so earlier. The 1900 Versaille incident has our two ladies going back a century or so, but the locale remained the same.

I have heard of cases from Down Under where people were put in earlier periods but they remained in the same location.

That is one thing I have noticed; the time is changed to an earlier period but the location remains the same. Someone from modern London, would not go to ancient Egypt, let us say or or an American from Wichita, Kansas would not find himself in Sumeria 5000 years in the past. That was what I found unusual about Sanderson's experience in Haiti: the change in locale.

Timeslip at Windsor Rail Station

Date:
Summer 1974

Type: Type 3: A sharp realistic image that surrounds the witness. People in the image seem unaware of the witness's presence, and there is no physical contact with elements in the perceived environment.

Persons Involved: Ron (FTMB poster from the early 2000s)

Number of Persons Involved:

Interactions:

Source of Testimony: This very thread in posts #28 & #31

Description: I’ll quote Ron here:

It was in the summer of 1974, while working and living in Windsor town, near London.

I had a few days off so made head way for Windsor Railway station to find the departure times for a train to my hometown. I entered through the station doorway and everything seemed fine, but very quiet. It seemed more quite than usual for a railway station. I noticed only one person. He was standing at the ticket desk and was wearing a dark jacket and trousers. So, there was nothing unusual there. But when I stepped onto the platform where the notice board for departure details was situated, things were very different.

I made my way through the gateway of the platform and approached the board. As I scanned through the timetable something seemed out of place. The notice board was different in design to what it was on previous occasions. The tables seemed to be out of date too, and the text appeared to be old print. It had a Victorian feel about it.

Puzzled, I turned to look around the platform. It was very quite. On the seat to my right, against the railing were two ladies dressed in long frocks and hats that looked very much like late Victorian or early Edwardian dress. Further along the platform, approximately 100 yards or so there were a couple of gentlemen standing behind a camera and tripod facing in my direction.

My first thought was, have I witnessed a time slip, but when I noticed the camera I immediately thought I had walked into a photo session or film shot. So pretending I hadn’t noticed I quietly walked off and out of the station, half expecting to be yelled at.

I walked around town for a short while and my mind kept flashing back the incident. But my curiosity took the better of me. I had to go back to have a peek at what they were doing.

When I arrived at the station, I peeked though the platform gateway and found the two ladies in Victorian dress were no longer there, and neither were the two people with the camera. I stepped onto the platform to check the notice board and found it was back to its normal self. At that moment I convinced myself that the film session was over and they had moved on.

But later, while brooding over the incident, there were elements that didn’t seem to add up.

Firstly, there were no notice boards or anyone on duty to advise people that they couldn’t go onto the platform, which is what you would normally have expected.

Secondly, being a stranger, I wondered, when I walked onto the platform why didn’t they call out, telling me to get off. (I was there for at least two or three minutes, which was more than enough time to consider me an intruder). The two ladies who were sitting quite calmly on the platform seat didn’t seem bothered about it either.

Thirdly, if others who visited the station had noticed the film crew, and because of human curiosity, there would normally have been a small crowd of people trying to have a peek, but the station was empty and quite.

And finally, as I said, I left the station and walked around town for a short time, (it was only a few minutes), but then went back. On my return to the station I was impressed how quick everything seemed to have been put back to its normal self, with no evidence of the camera crew or the actresses, and the 6 feet by 4 feet board with the departure times was also back to normal. Not only that, there were no film crew vans or vehicles.

I was left with the distinct impression that I had experienced a time slip, afterwards thinking perhaps the cameramen may have been Victorian/Edwardian photographers, and the two ladies were simply waiting for the next train.

Obviously some of you will draw up your own conclusions as to whether or not this was a timeslip; but to me the facts presents a strong indication that it was. Not only that, the unusually quite atmosphere of the event adds to the conclusion.

Notes:

In relation to the possibility that this had just been a film shoot that he had stumbled upon, Ron later added the following:

• At the time of the event I did consider the possibility of them finishing and winding up for the day, (it was during the morning). But as I said, when I returned to the station a few minutes later to have a peep I was surprised by how quickly they had disappeared from the station. In fact, I even made a point of spending a little time looking for them. I searched the streets for a van or some kind of vehicle, which would obviously have the film company or fashion photographer’s name on it, but there was no sign of such a vehicle. I even looked around to see if either of the two ladies might be walking around to stretch their legs, and also for workers who might have removed the board, but again there was nothing. Not even a station porter to oversee the clearing up process. I then followed the only road that led into and out of the road where the station was, and then into town for signs of a film company vehicle that might have been caught in the traffic. Again it drew a blank. In fact, if there were such a vehicle, surely I would have noticed it on the way back to the station.

In relation to a question over the attire of the camera men:

• As for the two cameramen, I honestly can’t say for certain how they were dressed. All I consciously remember is two men in what appeared to be jacket and trousers standing by a tripod and camera that stood almost as tall as they were. However, having said that, when I think back to the scene my subconscious mind seems to kick in with an image of two Edwardian men wearing plus-fours standing by a tripod with a large box camera with a concertina lens.

It was suggested to Ron that if this were a timeslip then it was plausible that he could have ended up in their photo:

• As for the idea of stepping back and being photographed at the turn of the century by the two men, this did actually cross my mind too. I was saying only recently to my two now grown-up children, wouldn’t be fantastic if I could find some old photos of Windsor Station where it shows an image of a young man in clothes that didn’t fit in with the time period. I had long hair in the seventies, which would certainly be out of place at the turn of the century.

• If such a photo did exist, then it would be a tremendous breakthrough giving evidence that timeslips are real, and that those in the past can see us in our time as well as us seeing them in their time.

The notion was suggested to Ron that at the time (2004) there was a historical display at Windsor Railway station, which had people in historical dress. The poster mentioning this did not know how long it had been there. Ron’s response on this was:

• With regards to Ms Indigo’s remarks of a waxworks at the station set in the time of Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. There was no such set-up while I was working in Windsor during the early seventies. I made visits to the station quite frequently and never saw any sign of a waxworks display. So I don’t think it even comes into the equation.

At the time of posting Ron was trying to collate a catalogue of similar timeslip events. It is uncertain as to whether he ever completed that, as he does not appear to have migrated to the current Boards setup after the changes of the mid 2000s.
Wow, you have been busy. The amount of work you have put in on a few good cases reminds me of the 400+ cases that I would need to deal with, albeit most of them are a lot less detailed than these. "Historic displays/reconstructions" are often used as explanations for such incidents -- I recall that that was one of the theories advanced for Versailles, although in that case it appears the displays had ceased a few years prior to the incident. (Incidentally, there was a small amount of possible interaction in that case, not enough to make it full integration in my view.)

Ron's comments about the possible evidential value of old photos is valid, but even if we are dealing with less distant times, the opportunities exist to find witnesses, given a lot of solid research. In my report I gave the example of the Liverpool Mothercare case. If the witness went back to the 80s it is quite possible that the shop assistants there at that time might recall dealing with a young girl and a strange credit card. We need someone in Liverpool willing to put in the necessary time and effort. It is frustrating that the Jedite case comes so close to getting witness statements from past and present witnesses -- but not quite!

Interesting story and it also seems to be unusual in that time-slips alre almost always purely local. By that I mean that if a person is in Liverpool at the start of the slip, the slip takes him or her back in Liverpool's past. The Kansas highway worker was transported back to early Kansas from the 1970's to the period a century or so earlier. The 1900 Versaille incident has our two ladies going back a century or so, but the locale remained the same.

I have heard of cases from Down Under where people were put in earlier periods but they remained in the same location.

That is one thing I have noticed; the time is changed to an earlier period but the location remains the same. Someone from modern London, would not go to ancient Egypt, let us say or or an American from Wichita, Kansas would not find himself in Sumeria 5000 years in the past. That was what I found unusual about Sanderson's experience in Haiti: the change in locale.
Yes, to qualify as a time slip, the location does need to be the same. The Sanderson case would be a "time and dimensional slip". Such cases are actually quite rare, I think.

Definitely. A shift in both location and time is far more likely to be dismissed as a hallucination. Because it's far more difficult for people to buy into the logic of it all - stretching the suspension of disbelief that little bit too far.

What Sanderson's Haiti experience does have going for it is that he was not alone in believing that he was seeing what he did. Although (playing devil's advocate here) because it wasn't an independent witness, but Sanderson's wife, who backs up his claim you cannot completely write off the possibility that she was just agreeing with him out of support.

Then you have the description of the buildings. Typical Parisian architecture is quite distinctive. It's a style aped around the world as being typically 'French'.

Sanderson says that he is knew he was in Paris. And yet the descriptions he provides are all based on the architecture of Elizabethan England. Those are two very different aesthetics. Notably so. It doesn't quite match up for me.

Edwardians in Liverpool City Centre (Probably Bold Street)

Location: Liverpool City Centre (from the description it seems likely to have been on Bold Steet)

Date: Unknown

Type: Type 2: A clear sharp and totally realistic visual image. A witness will see it and have no idea that it is anything other than an ordinary image.

Persons Involved: FTMB forum poster brother

Number of Persons Involved: 1

Interactions:

• Social – Acknowledgement of subject’s presence through eye contact or physical gesture.

Source of Testimony: Posts #56 & #58 in this very thread.

Description: To quote:

I am from Runcorn but was born in Liverpool where some of my family still live. I met my mum and my auntie (they are twins if that has any relevance whatsoever) in Liverpool town centre to have look around. Now I am not completely familiar with Liverpool street names but I think it was the bit where a road and some traffic lights disect the main shopping street next to the LLoyds TSB bank and you walk up a bit and you have the underground station on your left. I think there is a waterstones there also.

Well I had gone for a look round on my own and had headed up in that direction to meet them when I saw a group of people dressed in Edwardian clothes and hats. They looked like and had the body mannerisms of modern people though rather than the mannersims and gait and movements of edwardian people in films set in Edwardian times (though I know these are only films and in real life they probably moved and had the mannersims we do now). I just assumed they were people working for one of the local stores because I now live in Windsor and in the cobbled streets by Windsor Castle they have people dressed up in edwardian Costume to entertain the tourists and lure them into some of the tourist shops there. I also noticed they seemed to look at me briefly with slight contempt as though there was something wrong with me and then after that they forgot about me. I must add to that last comment that although I am quite paranoid anyway I do look normal, honestly
C:\Users\MARKRO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif
I think, so their reaction puzzled me.

Anyway, I walked into a shop and met my mum and auntie and asked them if there was some store nearby which employed people who wore Edwardian costumes...some sort of shop like Past Times or something. i also asked if they had seen them. They said they hadnt seen anybody like that standing about and nor were they aware of any shop which employed people to dress like that.

After that I kind of thought no more about it until recently and I came across some Tom Slemen (liverpool ghost author) stories of edwardian time slips in that very area and then gradually the memory of what I have just wrotten about dawned on me.

I am not going to say i experienced a 'time slip' because it probably was just modern people dressed but still i got a bit spooked. But if it was a time slip that might have explained why they looked at me as if I was some sort of joker
C:\Users\MARKRO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

as an aside,

i also feel the need to add that what stood out to me was how good looking they all were and how seemibly relaxed and happy and chilled out they appeared to be.

I also have no memory of noticing anybody else around them and whether other people were dressed normally or not.

Notes: Brother makes it is clear that he does not know Liverpool street names, however from his description it seems likely that he is describing walking up Bold Street from where that road begins (ceasing to be Church Street any longer) at the intersection with Hannover Street. This would be the opposite end of Bold Street to the bombed out remains of St Luke’s Church.

I make this assumption based on his mention of Liverpool Waterstones, the Lloyds Bank (It would have been Lloyds TSB back when this was posted back in 2010) which sits on the corner of Church Street and Hannover Street and his description “you have the underground station on your left”. There is an entrance to Merseyrail’s Liverpool Central station a short distance up Bold Street, on the left hand side of the rood. It is signposted from the pavement and accessed through a gap between two buildings.

This can be viewed in Google Streetview at the following point:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4...4!1sGlMbp6SI5yPOxFVZJiUbRQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Bold Street was also the location of the timeslip experience which Tom Sleven reported in Haunted Liverpool (Covered in the report at post #644).

It is worth noting that during his experience Brother does not mention any specific shift in the appearance of the surrounding buildings, environment or time of day. His experience was purely of seeing people who appeared to be in Edwardian dress. Many of the buildings on Bold Street are hundreds of years old, but many of their frontages (plastic and backlit store name signs) are not. I only mention this because in the Slemen time slip account above shop frontages down this street did change.

Brother believed that the people he saw responded to seeing him via eye contact, displaying a reaction of contempt upon seeing him.

It is not of course implausible that these were people who were simply dressed in Edwardian style clothing, something Brother himself admits. He is not claiming this to be a time slip, but simply volunteering an unusual experience which he had. He mentions that at some time after his experience (recent to his posting in 2010) he had encountered Tom Sleven’s reports of time slips in this area and realised that what he experienced may have been related to that.

He does also note that in a further post that he believes Slemen “has a tendency to 'over exagerate'”.

Brother last posted on the FTMB in 2013, so I’m unsure as to whether he still visits here at this point.

Last edited:
I don't know whether this would be considered a timeslip or a ghost. Family member who lives in a small village in south east England, was out jogging through the village, was about 12 months ago, a cold dark evening. As he was coming up towards some old cottages near to the medieval church, a man dressed in Victorian type clothes, wearing a tall hat, similar to a top hat and carrying a lantern on a stick, came out of cottage and started to walk along the area in front of the cottages. It's not a pavement as such, it's a narrow passage with about three long kerb stones adjacent to the road. Anyway within a couple of seconds the man disappeared right in front of his eyes. The jogger, is a policeman and definitely not a person to entertain flights of fancy.

Have you ever done a poll on here of whereabout in the country/ world posters are based? I haven't read an awful lot of the site, but it appears to me that quite a few posters are familiar with north west England.

I don't know whether this would be considered a timeslip or a ghost. Family member who lives in a small village in south east England, was out jogging through the village, was about 12 months ago, a cold dark evening. As he was coming up towards some old cottages near to the medieval church, a man dressed in Victorian type clothes, wearing a tall hat, similar to a top hat and carrying a lantern on a stick, came out of cottage and started to walk along the area in front of the cottages. It's not a pavement as such, it's a narrow passage with about three long kerb stones adjacent to the road. Anyway within a couple of seconds the man disappeared right in front of his eyes. The jogger, is a policeman and definitely not a person to entertain flights of fancy.

Interesting, Dotty. And yes, I suppose this has the potential to be considered either (Haunting or Time Slip). And as a policeman in a small village I'd imagine he potentially does know many of the residents.

I suppose it's possible around this time of year that it could have been somebody dressing up to go Carol Singing or similar, but that still doesn't account for the sudden vanishing. :)

Hi Carl,

As I go through the accounts on this page I think there might be two further interactions which would be worth adding to the list... :)
  • Visual – Change of Weather or Time of Day observed.
  • Social – Acknowledgement of subject’s presence through eye contact or physical gesture.
  • Social – Speaking with another individual who vocally acknowledges or responds to subject's vocal comment.
  • Physical – Interacting with Objects or Environment.
  • Physical – Physically interacting with another person or persons.
  • Sensory A change in Temperature experienced.
  • Sensory Smelling scents or odours without necessarily locating their source.
  • Auditory – Hearing sounds or voices without necessarily locating their source.
It's the two at the bottom, there. I've also headed up temperature change as 'Sensory' rather than physical as it seemed better suited.

What do you think?

The auditory category reminded me of my very first post to the forum, about one of my very few Fortean experiences, that occurred in April 2007.

"I had just treated myself to a new digital camera and was eager to try it out on some dramatic outdoor scenery. Even though it was getting a bit late in the day, I decided to make the half hour drive to the impressive ruins of Waverley Abbey, near Farnham in Surrey.

The place was almost deserted and, after a few minutes, I was happy to see the last couple of other folk who had been walking around the ruins, head back to the turnstyle exit and start along the long riverside walk to the car park. I was relishing the rich atmosphere, having the place to myself, and had been happily snapping away for 20 minutes or so, when I noticed the light was starting to fade. So I made my way towards the most spectacular part of the ruins, where a vaulted ceiling was still partially intact, keen to get some dramatic shots before the light went completely.

As I approached, I heard distinctly what sounded like monastic chanting. The sound came on suddenly - as if someone had turned on a CD player near me, lasted maybe 4 or 5 seconds, and then stopped as suddenly as it started. I looked around, but there was no-one else on the site. I didn't feel at all spooked at the time. It actually felt kind of wonderful.

I took a few more shots and then drove home. I examined the photos I took (and had added the date stamp to them, hence my knowledge of the exact date I took them) but there was nothing remotely unusual about them. I've been back several times since - even taking some deliciously evocative photos in the fog there just a month ago, but have never experienced anything at all Fortean there since.

I'm a pretty down to Earth, even sceptical bloke and always look for rational, scientific explanations, but have none about this. I certainly don't think I imagined it, but will acknowledge that the powerful atmosphere of the place could possibly have affected me. Can there be any truth in the "stone tape" theory, where a place that has seen centuries of spiritual devotions may, just occasionally, play back some sounds from the past?"

Could my experience conceivably be a form of timeslip?

Sanderson: It is interesting that the witness said that he just knew the buildings were in Paris. Also if I recall one of the local people acting as a guide for him said "You saw something, didn't you? If you really wanted to, you could always see things like that" (or words to that effect).
Brother case: I recall seeing that post and wasn't greatly impressed. It could have been some occasion for dressing up, and if they were using modern mannerisms it doesn't seem likely to be a time slip. The Edwardians wearing silk hats were the higher classes, and their behaviour would have been a bit restrained -- a group of working class types with felt hats might have been more boisterous. So I remain rather unconvinced.
The policeman jogger: Ghost or time slip, I suppose. Policemen being trained observers, if the witness said the figure disappeared then I am inclined to accept this one.

Dotty, much of Northern England, especially the Pennines (see Jenny Randles, Supernatural Pennines) generates many anomalous events including time and dimensional slips. Most time slips on the net in general come from the UK, US, Canada and Australia -- obviously if we could monitor the non English speakers more easily we would have a better grasp of the true situation. There are isolated reports from France, Italy, Germany, Russia, South America etc. but many of these are historical not contemporary.

I glanced through An Adventure and the witnesses in Versailles encountered (1) two official looking people in grey green coats who gave them directions; (2) a very ugly, evil looking man sitting near a circular kiosk, who turned to look at them; (3) a man who they heard running up to them, then saw, who told them not to go on past the kiosk, but to the right. He backed away with a smile, but when they turned back to thank he had gone, but then they heard the sound of running again; (4) after they had crossed a bridge and gone through a meadow they found the Petite Trianon where Miss Moberly (but not Miss Jourdain) saw the lady sketching; walking along the terrace they passed a second building; a man ("footman"?) called to them and gave them directions -- he walked with them through the French garden until they came to the entrance into the long drive.

Hi Carl,

As I go through the accounts on this page I think there might be two further interactions which would be worth adding to the list... :)
  • Visual – Change of Weather or Time of Day observed.
  • Social – Speaking with another individual who vocally acknowledges or responds to subject's vocal comment.
  • Sensory A change in Temperature experienced.
  • Sensory Smelling scents or odours without necessarily locating their source.
  • Auditory – Hearing sounds or voices without necessarily locating their source.
It's the two at the bottom, there. I've also headed up temperature change as 'Sensory' rather than physical as it seemed better suited.

What do you think?
I suppose you could also include taste (in those cases where the witness has eaten or drunk in vanishing cafes and restaurants). Also I recall a case I have been unable to track down where two people waiting for a bus (no idea where) on a bridge suddenly found themselves in a hot, dry, desert environment, where it was difficult to breathe. (This could be a slip back to a truly ancient time, maybe millions of years ago, before erosion had lowered the rock surface and when the atmosphere had not reached its current state.) Changes in light level are sometimes noted and change of apparent season.

The auditory category reminded me of my very first post to the forum, about one of my very few Fortean experiences, that occurred in April 2007.

"I had just treated myself to a new digital camera and was eager to try it out on some dramatic outdoor scenery. Even though it was getting a bit late in the day, I decided to make the half hour drive to the impressive ruins of Waverley Abbey, near Farnham in Surrey.

The place was almost deserted and, after a few minutes, I was happy to see the last couple of other folk who had been walking around the ruins, head back to the turnstyle exit and start along the long riverside walk to the car park. I was relishing the rich atmosphere, having the place to myself, and had been happily snapping away for 20 minutes or so, when I noticed the light was starting to fade. So I made my way towards the most spectacular part of the ruins, where a vaulted ceiling was still partially intact, keen to get some dramatic shots before the light went completely.

As I approached, I heard distinctly what sounded like monastic chanting. The sound came on suddenly - as if someone had turned on a CD player near me, lasted maybe 4 or 5 seconds, and then stopped as suddenly as it started. I looked around, but there was no-one else on the site. I didn't feel at all spooked at the time. It actually felt kind of wonderful.

I took a few more shots and then drove home. I examined the photos I took (and had added the date stamp to them, hence my knowledge of the exact date I took them) but there was nothing remotely unusual about them. I've been back several times since - even taking some deliciously evocative photos in the fog there just a month ago, but have never experienced anything at all Fortean there since.

I'm a pretty down to Earth, even sceptical bloke and always look for rational, scientific explanations, but have none about this. I certainly don't think I imagined it, but will acknowledge that the powerful atmosphere of the place could possibly have affected me. Can there be any truth in the "stone tape" theory, where a place that has seen centuries of spiritual devotions may, just occasionally, play back some sounds from the past?"

It certainly could. There are, as you know, a number of auditory "playback" cases where people have heard battles from the past, old aeroplanes, also recent conversations. When I started looking at Rougham my favourite theory was probably the stone tape one, although I now doubt it. But it could operate independently of other "time slip" mechanisms. I am inclined to think that anything is possible these days! What a pity nothing turned up on your camera.
Incidentally, isn't it noteworthy how Nigel Kneale came up with two original plot lines (the stone tape and the ancient alien idea, in Quatermass and the Pit) that are now taken very seriously by a lot of people?

Well spotted! I didn't realise Lethbridge had put the idea forward so early. I have a feeling that Wilson mentions some Soviet research into emotions being stored through water vapour, but I'm not sure when that was done either.

"how Nigel Kneale came up with two original plot line"

Hey! Fon't forget the Year of the Sex Olympics!
The genius Kneale foresaw "reality TV" too.

Re my post 668 and your reply. I am pretty sure there was no fancy dress party's etc happening that evening in the village... it was my first question actually.

I intend to saunter up and down Bold street in Liverpool in the very near future I bought my wedding dress there 40 years ago ... hind sight is a wonderful thing, perhaps I'll see what might have happened?

I suppose you could also include taste (in those cases where the witness has eaten or drunk in vanishing cafes and restaurants). Also I recall a case I have been unable to track down where two people waiting for a bus (no idea where) on a bridge suddenly found themselves in a hot, dry, desert environment, where it was difficult to breathe. (This could be a slip back to a truly ancient time, maybe millions of years ago, before erosion had lowered the rock surface and when the atmosphere had not reached its current state.) Changes in light level are sometimes noted and change of apparent season.

Thanks, Carl.

Up to this point we've had a slightly more catch all category for for a change in either Weather or Time of Day being observed. I think it would be worth splitting that out into separate categories. And adding two further options, specifically for lighting state and Season.

Because while you could argue (for example) that a change to the snow of winter could be covered by an obvious change in Weather, a change to Autumn or Spring would not be. Though both would very obviously look different in the observation of the coluoration of leaves on trees and other plants.

Likewise a switch between night and day, dawn and dusk, is covered by time of day. Especially if the observer is outdoors at the time. But that becomes a little less precise if there is a shift in the state of lighting and the observer is currently indoors - where the source of light may not me directly linked to the time of day or the state of the weather outside.

I mean if this is a genuine timeslip there are differences between what kind of indoor lighting was used across the centuries. Candlelight, gaslight, electric bulbs, striplighting - they're all different. But in more subtle ways than just night or day.

If this is going to be a 'tick all that apply' kind of field I see no problem in that.

So:
  • Visual – Change in Weather conditions observed.
  • Visual – Change in Time of Day observed.
  • Visual – Change in Season observed.
  • Visual – Change in lighting state observed.
  • Sensory – Subject tastes or consumes food or drink.
  • Sensory – A change in Temperature experienced.
  • Sensory – Smelling scents or odours without necessarily locating their source.
  • Auditory – Hearing a sudden change in the level of background noise in the area.
I have also added tasting or consuming food or drink under Sensory (which will certainly apply to things such as the Avignon account) and added a sudden change in the level of background noise under Auditory (as several accounts also seem to note an absence of sound at the time of such events).

Last edited:

Interesting. It's not implausible. If there was no obvious other source for the sound it could well be.

So it didn't feel intimidating or frightening at all? Monastic chanting can be quite peaceful and relaxing, in an odd kind of way.

What a fascinating experience. Thanks for sharing. :)

Back