• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

Not a time-slip story... well, not yet anyway!
Paranormal Investigator Claims To Find ‘Time Warp’ Near Las Vegas

A paranormal researcher named Joshua Warren claims he is the first person to ever discover a time warp, which he found near the city. Warren said he has been measuring the rate of time all over in areas between Las Vegas and the top secret Air Force site known as Area 51. Last week he found a spot in the desert just north of Vegas where he claims time has slowed down.

Using what’s known as a “differential time rate meter,” also known as a “DT meter,” he claimed that for the first time ever he was able to record a measurement showing time had been slowing down for 20 microseconds — something that laws of physics prove should not occur.
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/06/28/time-warp-las-vegas-paranormal-investigator/

Actually Tom Slemen was ahead of Mr Warren, when investigating a case where two students went in a fish and chip shop that had closed years before (Haunted Liverpool 4):

Why had a chippy, which had been demolished years before, suddenly
reappeared that night, minus its staff? Your guess is as good as mine. I was so
intrigued by the accounts, that I visited the site several times to conduct my
own limited investigations, employing an experimental technique aimed at
detecting anomalies in time. This involves the use of four highly accurate
digital chronometers, all set simultaneously by a computer port. I placed the
four chronometers in a square around the shrubs and bushes where the phantom
shop had appeared. A few minutes later, bemused passers-by watched as I
picked up the chronometers - and I noticed that two of them had lost one
hundred and a fiftieth of a second. This test was repeated on the following day,
when only one of the chronometers lost any time; a sixtieth of a second. This
proved to me that time was running at different rates, in different areas of the
site.

Actually Tom Slemen was ahead of Mr Warren, when investigating a case where two students went in a fish and chip shop that had closed years before (Haunted Liverpool 4):

Why had a chippy, which had been demolished years before, suddenly
reappeared that night, minus its staff? Your guess is as good as mine. I was so
intrigued by the accounts, that I visited the site several times to conduct my
own limited investigations, employing an experimental technique aimed at
detecting anomalies in time. This involves the use of four highly accurate
digital chronometers, all set simultaneously by a computer port. I placed the
four chronometers in a square around the shrubs and bushes where the phantom
shop had appeared. A few minutes later, bemused passers-by watched as I
picked up the chronometers - and I noticed that two of them had lost one
hundred and a fiftieth of a second. This test was repeated on the following day,
when only one of the chronometers lost any time; a sixtieth of a second. This
proved to me that time was running at different rates, in different areas of the
site.
It's certainly an idea that I've mulled over myself. My only thoughts about cause are localised gravitational differences.
It's surprising that no formal scientific research has been done. Maybe they're not fully convinced yet?

I wonder if time slips may be more common than we think. I mean, if they were very short and only went back seconds, minutes, hours, or even weeks and months, then how would we necessarily notice.

Yes precisely. :)

For one thing, even a slip backwards/forwards of a few years wouldn't bring about much of a noticeable change in terms of cars and fashions, if any.

And most of us don't pay enough attention to our surroundings anyway, so might not even notice the change. I'm sure me and Mr Zebra are not the only ones who will see a new shop and go "that's new, but I can't remember what was there before it".

Really need to start paying more attention around us. It's a good thing to do anyway, but even better if we want to see time slips. :D

It's certainly an idea that I've mulled over myself. My only thoughts about cause are localised gravitational differences.
It's surprising that no formal scientific research has been done. Maybe they're not fully convinced yet?
I'm not surprised at all. Having been interested in all kinds of things all my life (well, for over half a century anyway) and having done research in various branches of psychology, the sheer timidity and lack of genuine curiosity amongst a huge majority of so-called scientists that I have encountered never ceases to dismay and depress me. The graduate student who agreed to help me run a small remote viewing experiment with deaf subjects but insisted that her name should not be mentioned when the results were published (the study was never run anyway, in the event) had obviously learned to toe the line early on. Incidentally, the Russians have done some research on causing localised changes in time.

I'm not surprised at all. Having been interested in all kinds of things all my life (well, for over half a century anyway) and having done research in various branches of psychology, the sheer timidity and lack of genuine curiosity amongst a huge majority of so-called scientists that I have encountered never ceases to dismay and depress me. The graduate student who agreed to help me run a small remote viewing experiment with deaf subjects but insisted that her name should not be mentioned when the results were published (the study was never run anyway, in the event) had obviously learned to toe the line early on. Incidentally, the Russians have done some research on causing localised changes in time.
Yeah, the Russians don't seem to have such a problem with investigating such things.

And Russian scientists are the greatest and most advanced in the world.
Some of them might be. I don't know. Don't knock their engineers.

Some of them might be. I don't know. Don't knock their engineers.

When's the last time a Russian engineer travelled backwards in time? However, there is a Scottish engineer who has managed it on a fair few occasions. He hasn't even been born yet!

When's the last time a Russian engineer travelled backwards in time? However, there is a Scottish engineer who has managed it on a fair few occasions. He hasn't even been born yet!
I take your point. Chekov was a navigator, not an engineer.

I had a minor incident occur to me several years ago. It was winter and I was sitting in my car stopped in traffic. I was watching the white exhaust of the car ahead of me when, just for a moment, the swirl of the exhaust seemed to go into reverse. Then, after a second or two, the forward motion resumed. I realize the wind may have been playing tricks but, it looked absolutely like someone momentarily hit the 'rewind' button.

An earlier poster suggested that minor timeslips might occur all the time - we just don't notice them. Perhaps this was an example of such a phenomenon.

I had a minor incident occur to me several years ago. It was winter and I was sitting in my car stopped in traffic. I was watching the white exhaust of the car ahead of me when, just for a moment, the swirl of the exhaust seemed to go into reverse. Then, after a second or two, the forward motion resumed. I realize the wind may have been playing tricks but, it looked absolutely like someone momentarily hit the 'rewind' button.

An earlier poster suggested that minor timeslips might occur all the time - we just don't notice them. Perhaps this was an example of such a phenomenon.

Had an experience a few years back, in which we still can’t explain or account for a lost hour.
In the spring of 2005, the wife and I were holidaying in south Devon, we rented a large cottage for the week, in a rural location - approx. 5 miles from village of Moreleigh.

Our first night there, we ate dinner in the village pub, and afterwards spent a pleasant evening, sitting at the bar with drinks chatting to the locals.

The barmaid rang the last orders bell at precisely 10.50pm ( I double checked this with the time on my mobile phone.)

10 minutes later the barmaid rang the last bell, so we finished our drinks and said goodnight.

I checked the time as we left the pub and it was 11.07pm.

We drove back to the cottage without stopping, so should have got there around 11.30 at the very latest.

Not long after we got back ( literally a minute or two ) my wife pointed out that the clock hanging above the living rooms mantelpiece said 12.25am.

I said the clock is obviously wrong, but when I took out my mobile phone to check, it said……..12.25am.

So that’s over an hour, for only a 5 mile drive ( and no we did not get lost, it was a straight road back to the cottage - no turn offs.

We still can’t work it out – any ideas…?

When during the spring of 2005 did this occur? Was it the last weekend in March?

What sort of clock (vintage / mechanical; modern / electronic) was hanging over the mantelpiece in the cottage?

When during the spring of 2005 did this occur? Was it the last weekend in March?

What sort of clock (vintage / mechanical; modern / electronic) was hanging over the mantelpiece in the cottage?

The clocks going forward 1 hour for British summertime was my initial thought, but that doesn’t explain the time on my mobile phone, matching the time on the pub clock as we left the Pub..

We ate in the village pub 4 nights out of the seven that week, but the time loss never happened again.

The clocks going forward 1 hour for British summertime was my initial thought, but that doesn’t explain the time on my mobile phone, matching the time on the pub clock as we left the Pub..

Was it or wasn't it the weekend that BST went into effect?

Strictly speaking, BST would have started at 0100 during the designated night. However - especially over a decade ago - network time signals and devices' responses to such signals didn't necessarily occur on a continuous basis. It wasn't uncommon for remote computers and other devices to update based on (e.g.) a date shift on some central server or the next time the device connected to the network rather than the formally prescribed date / time.

For example, an updated time signal could have occurred if / when your mobile phone crossed from one cell tower's coverage area to another.

Was it or wasn't it the weekend that BST went into effect?

Strictly speaking, BST would have started at 0100 during the designated night. However - especially over a decade ago - network time signals and devices' responses to such signals didn't necessarily occur on a continuous basis. It wasn't uncommon for remote computers and other devices to update based on (e.g.) a date shift on some central server or the next time the device connected to the network rather than the formally prescribed date / time.

For example, an updated time signal could have occurred if / when your mobile phone crossed from one cell tower's coverage area to another.

Thanks for that Enola, however it was April, the 22nd to be exact
I remember this because it was my wife's birthday week, and I always try to take her away for her birthday.
I don’t know if there is another thread on here for haunted hotels, but I booked a long weekend away for her birthday in a hotel on Dartmoor a few years ago – and that was very interesting from a Fortean perspective

Thanks for that Enola, however it was April, the 22nd to be exact ...

OK - thanks for verifying the timeframe. I just wanted to see if we could rule out the fairly obvious possibility of tech / device weirdness on the one night everything was supposed to jump ahead by an hour.

I don’t know if there is another thread on here for haunted hotels, but I booked a long weekend away for her birthday in a hotel on Dartmoor a few years ago – and that was very interesting from a Fortean perspective

There are multiple threads addressing hauntings and hotels, such as:

In the Ghosts section, for general discussion(s):

Hotel encounters anyone?
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/hotel-encounters-anyone.26733/

Haunted Hotels
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/haunted-hotels.5947/

In the IHTM (It Happened to Me) section, for posting personal experiences:

Haunted Hotels
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/haunted-hotels.17615/

Hi Nic.

Ah Dartmoor… easily my most favourite place in the entire Country.

We’ve had many adventures on the moor over the years, and yes you are right, there is definitely an oddness to the place that I can’t really put my finger on.

Alas, bringing up a young family, means that we don’t get to go much there these days.

I’m reluctant to name the Dartmoor hotel in question, but one room in particular gave us a fright one night ( the wife ended up sleeping on a sofa in the Hotels lounge )

Nice one. My first thought was if it was a similar phenomenon to that on a train, you know when you're looking out of the train window at the tracks moving, but then when it stops at a station, the tracks appear to start moving in the opposite direction for a little bit.

(Something to do with your brain thinking they must still be moving, or you must still be moving, or summat).

Nice one. My first thought was if it was a similar phenomenon to that on a train, you know when you're looking out of the train window at the tracks moving, but then when it stops at a station, the tracks appear to start moving in the opposite direction for a little bit.

(Something to do with your brain thinking they must still be moving, or you must still be moving, or summat).
I just wish I had been paying closer attention. As with all such phenomenon, they come unannounced and are over before you fully realize what is happening. :(

There's an excellent Science Fiction story called "Ripples in the Dirac Sea," which I read some years ago. In passing, the narrator mentions having gone back to the age of the dinosaurs several times. It was incredibly boring, because he would go days at a time without seeing a single prehistoric beastie -- as someone dropped in the wilderness today might not see a person or an animal for a long while.

It made me think that people could have time-slips, or see the past (or future) via retro/ precognition, all the time and never know it because there were no people or animals in the affected area to see.

Yes precisely. :)

For one thing, even a slip backwards/forwards of a few years wouldn't bring about much of a noticeable change in terms of cars and fashions, if any.

And most of us don't pay enough attention to our surroundings anyway, so might not even notice the change. I'm sure me and Mr Zebra are not the only ones who will see a new shop and go "that's new, but I can't remember what was there before it".

Really need to start paying more attention around us. It's a good thing to do anyway, but even better if we want to see time slips. :D

But we can easily be caught out by the bleeding obvious though if we are not careful.

The place where I work has been in the same office for 5 years since we founded the company. When we moved in we were in office suite number 5 and every morning for the first couple of years I walked up the stairs to suite number 5 and opened the door. so far so boring.

I also used to have a very comfortable chair in my office (we are open plan as we are an investment bank) and it used to squeak a lot which annoyed my colleagues.

One morning about 3 years ago I walked up the stairs to my office only to find the number on the door was no longer number 5 but number 7 ... yet it was the same office.

I entered and went to my desk and sat down in my chair and noticed immediately that my chair didn't squeak at all any more.

I did briefly think maybe I have entered an alternative dimension in which everything is the same except my office number and my now non-squeaky chair.

In reality the owner of the building had renumbered the office suites as 1 big office suite on the ground floor had been split into 3 smaller offices and a colleague fed up with my squeaky chair had found some WD40 and fixed my chair without telling me.

So I remain in this reality along with all of you

But we can easily be caught out by the bleeding obvious though if we are not careful.

The place where I work has been in the same office for 5 years since we founded the company. When we moved in we were in office suite number 5 and every morning for the first couple of years I walked up the stairs to suite number 5 and opened the door. so far so boring.

I also used to have a very comfortable chair in my office (we are open plan as we are an investment bank) and it used to squeak a lot which annoyed my colleagues.

One morning about 3 years ago I walked up the stairs to my office only to find the number on the door was no longer number 5 but number 7 ... yet it was the same office.

I entered and went to my desk and sat down in my chair and noticed immediately that my chair didn't squeak at all any more.

I did briefly think maybe I have entered an alternative dimension in which everything is the same except my office number and my now non-squeaky chair.

In reality the owner of the building had renumbered the office suites as 1 big office suite on the ground floor had been split into 3 smaller offices and a colleague fed up with my squeaky chair had found some WD40 and fixed my chair without telling me.

So I remain in this reality along with all of you

Yes, true. My rule of thumb is 'rule out the mundane and then start looking for otherworldly possibilities'.

Bet it was confusing for a moment, though. :D

This is probably on the wrong thread, so mods fell free to move it.

About time travelers.

What would happen if a time traveler, while in some future, died ?

The past is missing a body, the future has one it can't account for.

INT21

This is probably on the wrong thread, so mods fell free to move it.

About time travelers.

What would happen if a time traveler, while in some future, died ?

The past is missing a body, the future has one it can't account for.

INT21

Perhaps the key word is "some"?

Time traveller from timeline A travels into future, thereby creating timeline B.
If he travels back again, it wouldn't be to rejoin timeline A, but into a new timeline C.
If you can accept the possibility of time travel at all, then the concept of multiple or even infinite timelines has to be considered. Hence there is no direct correlation between A, B or C. Even if he jumps forward say 10 years, no-one would say "blimey! That's the guy who mysteriously disappeared ten years ago and not looking a day older!" because in the current timeline, the mysterious disappearance would not have occurred.
It's all conjecture anyway, but at least the multiple timelines theory eliminates the causal loop paradox.

Blessmycottonsocks,

The idea of multiple dimensions, realities or whatever you want to call them would seem to be the only answer.

A time traveler could be imagined to just disappear from his own time and people would assume he had been bumped off for some reason. The time he left would just carry on as usual but without him.

Going backward would need a whole new timeline based on what the effect of his appearance had.

Max Tegmark would be pleased.

The point you make are pretty much what I was thinking about.

One can imagine a couple having sex when the husband disappears in front of her eyes due to the son who is about to be conceived bearing a grudge against his father. Then going back in time and killing his grandfather.

INT21

Henry,

..The past is missing a body, the future has one it can't account for....

...both regular occurrences in any timeline ...

The body disappears from the present.. As you say, people vanish every day.

But the second part is problematic. As BMCS says, you will need a new timeline to accommodate it.

The past won't really be missing a body as the body will be there until the moment it disappears in the present.

INT21

Back