• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

I've done a wee bit of research, and it seems that the observer and her pal turned off the road from Afton Bridge onto a minor road that comes to a dead-end at Castle Mill Farm:

Berry-Pomeroy-castle-farm-Fortean-route-added.jpg

Possible route in red. I have checked this on Google Earth, and it seems to be about 850 yards long. This accords nicely with her estimate of "half a mile".

The farm and setting today:

Castle-Mill-Farm-Berry-Pomeroy-Fortean.jpg

There is a small stream running roughly parallel to the lane, about halfway up this view. Ignore the "pointy finger" icon.

maximus otter

Top work, Maximus.

It’s an odd story, for sure. But looks to be one reused Multiple times, without really locating an original source. It would be difficult to pin down, but does at least appear to match up with the geography in a fairly reliable fashion.

could it be a timeslip? Maybe. The problem is really in not knowing when the story dates from. How far in the past? It’s very difficult to know what kind of ‘fowls’ they are describing. It’s such an old world term as it is. But as to whether this is truly an aged account or simply someone trying to write some kind of Victorian or Edwardian English, to give it that kind of effect? Who can say.

I suppose it would be interesting to know if somebody in the area had been breeding ostriches or emus, or some kind of similar bird. Otherwise? Is the intention to present to us a notion of a dimensional slip into a world of wacky looking fantasy birds? I don’t know.

LASERS/lasers?

Nope ... The first functional laser wasn't built until 1960. The reported incident supposedly occurred in the 1950s.

I was aware of that ty. :rolleyes:

So the guy saw something similar to Lasers then?

... So the guy saw something similar to Lasers then?

It needn't have been a coherent emission device like a laser or maser (the latter of which doesn't emit a beam in the visible spectrum, but was invented in the 1950s).

All the quoted account says is that the policeman saw bright beams of red light coming from the 'dome' atop the mystery vehicle. It was densely foggy. Any sufficiently bright light with a surrounding reflector and / or a focusing lens out front could have projected a visible 'beam', just as a flashlight's beam is visible in a dusty or foggy environment.

Any laser powerful enough to 'dazzle' the policeman through dense fog would have been powerful enough to damage his retinas, and there's no mention of residual eye damage.

Nope ... The first functional laser wasn't built until 1960. The reported incident supposedly occurred in the 1950s.

The laser beam had already become a popular sci-fi meme well before then though.
The 1953 movie adaptation of War of the Worlds featured extensive use of lasers (complete with unnecessary but dramatically effective zzzzap sounds).

wow.JPG

It needn't have been a coherent emission device like a laser or maser (the latter of which doesn't emit a beam in the visible spectrum, but was invented in the 1950s).

All the quoted account says is that the policeman saw bright beams of red light coming from the 'dome' atop the mystery vehicle. It was densely foggy. Any sufficiently bright light with a surrounding reflector and / or a focusing lens out front could have projected a visible 'beam', just as a flashlight's beam is visible in a dusty or foggy environment.

Any laser powerful enough to 'dazzle' the policeman through dense fog would have been powerful enough to damage his retinas, and there's no mention of residual eye damage.

Whilst I would love this account to be a genuine timeslip, the more I think about it, the more I feel the policeman, traumatised by the earlier accident and his perception compromised by the unusually heavy fog, misidentified a passing military convoy from the nearby army camp.

To avoid damaging metalled or tarmacked road surfaces, heavy tanks are usually carried on bespoke tank transporters, such as the 1950s Antar (see pics). This raises the height of the tank to something that could conceivably be described as "tall as a house" (or bungalow at least).

Coupled with flashing "exceptional load" red warning lights and you have something not a million miles away from the policeman's description.

Could he have been a sci-fi fan too, having recently watched War of the Worlds or Quatermass, and his imagination filled in the rest?

antar1.JPGantar2.JPG

The laser beam had already become a popular sci-fi meme well before then though.
The 1953 movie adaptation of War of the Worlds featured extensive use of lasers (complete with unnecessary but dramatically effective zzzzap sounds).

View attachment 30050
The first SF film I saw that had good special effects (in my opinion). It has actually stood up well over time.

I have experienced the Oz Factor effect but that was with seeing a UFO but what I would to experience is a Time Slip and wonder they do happen.

Sci-fi of that period and earlier certainly exploited the trope of a radiant burst of energy projected by future or alien weaponry, but nobody referred to it as a laser beam. In those days the terminology would have been 'energy / heat ray', 'energy / heat beam', etc.

Such rays or blasts weren't uniformly or consistently depicted as the sort of tightly formed linear beams we associate with lasers.

In any case the storyline doesn't indicate these 'beams' had any effect other than their own visibility. If the policeman even used the term 'beam' at all he was just as likely to have been alluding to a lighthouse's beam of light as a sci-fi beam of destructive energy.

Whilst I would love this account to be a genuine timeslip, the more I think about it, the more I feel the policeman, traumatised by the earlier accident and his perception compromised by the unusually heavy fog, misidentified a passing military convoy from the nearby army camp. ...

If it was indeed a tracked vehicle he saw I think this is good hypothesis. I say "if" because the same circumstances that made the scene so eerie and risky made his alleged sighting remarkable for the specificity he purportedly gave his observations.

As the subsequently related story goes ... The fog was so thick he could hardly see his own extended hand clearly or anything else a dozen feet away, but he could discern features of the massive whatever-it-was that were necessarily farther away.

It also bugs me that nobody seems to wonder whether his accident with the cyclist had been severe enough to affect his abilities. For example: Had the cyclist knocked him down, possibly causing him to hit his head?

On top of all this were two stress-inducing factors - the police motorcyclist accident and the lorry breakdown that represented a dangerous obstruction at rush hour.

Top work, Maximus.

It’s an odd story, for sure. But looks to be one reused Multiple times, without really locating an original source. It would be difficult to pin down, but does at least appear to match up with the geography in a fairly reliable fashion.

could it be a timeslip? Maybe. The problem is really in not knowing when the story dates from. How far in the past? It’s very difficult to know what kind of ‘fowls’ they are describing. It’s such an old world term as it is. But as to whether this is truly an aged account or simply someone trying to write some kind of Victorian or Edwardian English, to give it that kind of effect? Who can say.

I suppose it would be interesting to know if somebody in the area had been breeding ostriches or emus, or some kind of similar bird. Otherwise? Is the intention to present to us a notion of a dimensional slip into a world of wacky looking fantasy birds? I don’t know.

Older members of my Family used the word "Fowls" indiscriminately for live domestic birds, the family were originally from South Atlantic Islands and South Africa. This would be so not necessarily an old fashioned usage, just not common use in England at the time. I have not consciously used the term myself for some years since I gave up keeping chickens.

Older members of my Family used the word "Fowls" indiscriminately for live domestic birds, the family were originally from South Atlantic Islands and South Africa. This would be so not necessarily an old fashioned usage, just not common use in England at the time. I have not consciously used the term myself for some years since I gave up keeping chickens.
Well 'Eyespy,' if you attach the word 'Wild' in front of Fowl/s, then it is still a term which is in common use?

Sid, I agree. My point was that this was not a particularly odd or "old world" term 20-30 years ago in some circles. My mother and some other relatives would have used it instead of Hens or ducks, particularly if they were unsure of the creatures was. My reading of the original report was that the birds were unfamiliar.

Came across this and can't see it being highlighted before - maybe of interest?

4 Extraordinary TIME TRAVEL & TIME SLIPS STORIES

There are quite a few of these videos around, and sadly most of them are full of very dubious photos and doubtful cases. The Eula White incident is well known, though, and certainly genuine. Often the stories told by people commenting on the videos are more interesting than the videos themselves.

Just come across this interesting tale from a rail forum.

Not sure if this is a ghost story, time slip story or anything else. In 1967 I was walking with a school friend along what was known as The New Promenade’ at New Brighton. This was the result of a project in the late 1930s to provide work for the unemployed by building a huge concrete sea wall and reclaiming some land. There are what would once have been sea washed sandstone rock outcrops to one side called the Red and Yellow Noses and adjacent to them some common scrub land at the top of which runs the railway from New Brighton to Liverpool Loop Line . Steam trains on British Railways were in their last year of life then of course and none had run on this line since it was electrified in 1938. We were therefore both quite surprised and pleased to see a black steam engine pulling three maroon coaches and heading towards New Brighton. We raced up towards the station which was a steep climb up a hill. When we arrived panting we asked the porter was the steam train a ‘special’?. He looked puzzled and pointed to an electric train which had not long arrived saying that was the only train to have pulled in. At that time these trains were dark green in colour. He laughed and walked away. We were mystified and thought maybe he was pulling our legs but a check of the platforms and track held no trace of any steam train.It was then that we thought tthat although we had clearly seen the train and the steam puffing out of the engine ,we had not heard any sound at all. Had I been alone I think I would have doubted my own eyesight but we both witnessed it. Was it that the energy of the electric train had somehow created a window to the past? I don't know but would be interested to hear of anything similar.

https://www.railforums.co.uk/login/

There’s some fascinating tales on this subject! Thanks to everyone who’s contributed! Here’s a story that was shared with me by a work colleague who was doing some contracting work in London 4-5 years ago.

Every Monday morning he would travel down to London from Leeds and arrive into Kings Cross before travelling on the tube to Liverpool Street. He would normally arrive into London at around 9:30 which meant that the tube train, whilst busy, wasn’t packed so travellers could usually find a seat.

One morning he boarded the tube train, found a seat and settled down. At either the 2nd or 3rd stop after leaving Kings Cross her noticed a young couple join the train and take the seats directly opposite him. He immediately noticed that they were dressed very smartly...if it’d been 1985! The chap was wearing a dark suit with coloured flecks, white shirt and grey and yellow tie. He had a moustache, a slight mullet style ‘highlighted’ hair cut and a floppy fringe. She was wearing a long red dress with shoulder pads and black polka dots and a small hat with ‘netting’ down over her eyes, dark hair and very red lipstick. Very typical 1980’s looks, or perhaps TOO typically 1980’s looks?

Anyway, he couldn’t take his eyes off them as they looked so unusual and out of place , which is why he remembers what they looked like so clearly. They spent the journey in whispered conversation until the tube arrived at Liverpool Street. Intriguingly, when the train stopped they were unsure how to open the door so my friend lent forward to do it but they didn’t thank him. By now he was fascinated by them so followed them onto the station concourse. He remembers that they walked very quickly despite the fact the lady was wearing heels. At the ticket barrier the couple couldn’t work out how to pass through and a queue formed behind them. They moved back to allow others to get through and were clearly having a row. They were then passed through the ‘manned’ barrier and out onto the concourse. Interestingly, my friend is convinced that they walked through without having to show their ticket. Once they got onto the concourse they walked a few meters, still in robust conversation, when they both stopped in their tracks and began to look around them. Clearly looking lost and confused....and very much out of place. Others could clearly see them as they were walking around them. They continued to look around, seemingly very baffled about where they needed to go (or where they were) My friend then lost sight of them in the crowds as he headed for his train.

Was this a time slip or something more mundane? By his own admittance, my friend has a vivid imagination, is a fan of Fortean incidents and wound often make up lives for people he saw on the tube! Interestingly, his own opinion is that it was either a time slip on the couples part or it was his own imagination playing out before his eyes! Either way, it’s unlikely we’ll ever know. And perhaps that’s the whole point?

Last edited:
There’s some fascinating tales on this subject! Thanks to everyone who’s contributed! Here’s a story that was shared with me by a work colleague who was doing some contracting work in London 4-5 years ago.

Every Monday morning he would travel down to London from Leeds and arrive into Kings Cross before travelling on the tube to Liverpool Street. He would normally arrive into London at around 9:30 which meant that the tube train, whilst busy, wasn’t packed so travellers could usually find a seat.

One morning he boarded the tube train, found a seat and settled down. At either the 2nd or 3rd stop after leaving Kings Cross her noticed a young couple join the train and take the seats directly opposite him. He immediately noticed that they were dressed very smartly...if it’d been 1985! The chap was wearing a dark suit with coloured flecks, white shirt and grey and yellow tie. He had a moustache, a slight mullet style ‘highlighted’ hair cut and a floppy fringe. She was wearing a long red dress with shoulder pads and black polka dots and a small hat with ‘netting’ down over her eyes, dark hair and very red lipstick. He couldn’t take his eyes off them as they looked so unusual and out of place , which is why he remembers what they looked like so clearly. They spent the journey in whispered conversation until the tube arrived at Liverpool Street. Intriguingly, when the train stopped they were unsure how to open the door so my friend lent forward to do it but they didn’t thank him. By now he was fascinated by them so followed them onto the station concourse. He remembers that they walked very quickly despite the fact the lady was wearing heels. At the ticket barrier the couple couldn’t work out how to pass through and a queue formed behind them. They moved back to allow others to get through and were clearly having a row. They were then passed through the ‘manned’ barrier and out onto the concourse. Interestingly, my friend is convinced that they walked through without having to show their ticket. Once they got onto the concourse they walked a few meters, still in robust conversation, when they both stopped in their tracks and began to look around them. Clearly looking lost and confused....and very much out of place. Others could clearly see them as they were walking around them. They continued to look around, seemingly very baffled about where they needed to go (or where they were) My friend then lost sight of them in the crowds as he headed for his train.

Was this a time slip or something more mundane? By his own admittance, my friend has a vivid imagination, is a fan of Fortean incidents and wound often make up lives for people he saw on the tube! Interestingly, his own opinion is that it was either a time slip on the couples part or it was his own imagination playing out before his eyes! Either way, it’s unlikely we’ll ever know. And perhaps that’s the whole point?
I suppose not everybody is up to date in fashion (I couldn't tell you what 80s style looked like even though I lived through it) and maybe they were visiting London for the first time and were a bit overwhelmed by it. But a very interesting tale -- maybe someone will post a story of how they visited London in the 80s and found themselves in the future.. if only!

I used to see a young bloke who dressed like a 1980's hair metal bloke. What slightly freaked me out was how damned accurate all the little details were. Even down to the bumper trainers and denim jacket with sleeves rolled up and patches sewn on the back. He even had big hair with a headband.

People used to snigger at him but fair play to him, he didn't seem to care.

I used to see a young bloke who dressed like a 1980's hair metal bloke. What slightly freaked me out was how damned accurate all the little details were. Even down to the bumper trainers and denim jacket with sleeves rolled up and patches sewn on the back. He even had big hair with a headband.

People used to snigger at him but fair play to him, he didn't seem to care.
There was a young street cleaner like that when I was living in Peterborough. A friend of mine knew him.

There was a young street cleaner like that when I was living in Peterborough. A friend of mine knew him.
I could see these two today and not notice anything unusual! But I do feel rather nauseous when seeing people with huge holes ripped in their otherwise acceptable clothing.

I could see these two today and not notice anything unusual! But I do feel rather nauseous when seeing people with huge holes ripped in their otherwise acceptable clothing.
I saw a mid 50s healthy looking couple 2 years ago who looked like mid to late 1980s with him having dyed hair like Huey Lewis and denim shirt and jeans and she had big curly hair and I thought it looked odd and then they turned the corner and a few seconds later as I got to the corner they were not there and I wondered did a see a Time Slip of the couple ir did they go into one of the houses near but they completely were not in the street.

I saw a mid 50s healthy looking couple 2 years ago who looked like mid to late 1980s with him having dyed hair like Huey Lewis and denim shirt and jeans and she had big curly hair and I thought it looked odd and then they turned the corner and a few seconds later as I got to the corner they were not there and I wondered did a see a Time Slip of the couple ir did they go into one of the houses near but they completely were not in the street.
That’s something I’ve often thought about time slips. If you wound up in Victorian times you’d certainly notice, but twenty or even thirty years might not be so obvious. Short term slips could happen without anyone noticing.

I saw a mid 50s healthy looking couple 2 years ago who looked like mid to late 1980s with him having dyed hair like Huey Lewis and denim shirt and jeans and she had big curly hair and I thought it looked odd ...

One aspect of your report gives me pause in readily seeing it as a possible time slip ...

Assuming you were old enough to take notice of fashion (etc.) trends at the time ... Would you have seen a couple aged 50-something back in the Mid-Eighties who were coiffed and dressed that way?

Assuming you were old enough to take notice of fashion (etc.) trends at the time ... Would you have seen a couple aged 50-something back in the Mid-Eighties who were coiffed and dressed that way?
Highly unlikely.

One aspect of your report gives me pause in readily seeing it as a possible time slip ...

Good point but they looked older then me by 10 years and I'm a young looking 48 BUT they could of been in there late 30s if it was the eighties ( if you know what I mean ?)

Back