• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

What does that mean about half room darkness if you don't mind me asking ?
Carl recently shared his file on this phenomenon with me. It is essentially multiple witnesses (and a cat!) to one side of a room becoming pitch black despite there being a lamp on within the darkness. This darkness eventually dissipates. I'm sure Carl will add more

What does that mean about half room darkness if you don't mind me asking ?
This was a case I came across in Rougham, and I thought it was unique until I found a similar one in Liverpool, then an FT poster described another. In all cases the effect slowly vanishes. If you stick your hand into the darkness it can't be seen (not sure I'd want to test that myself!). In all three cases the location was known to be subject to other forms of weirdness/haunted. The only answer I can think of is of a localised time slip back to a night-time period.

No, I think the whole of East Anglia is pretty active!
Great cases and a good reminder to spend some time on the excellent Weird Norfolk site again.

Interesting with these Norfolk cases that at least one of the primary witnesses went on the record some years later to reaffirm what they experience, something lacking from our Gisby/Simpson case for decades after the reconstruction

Great cases and a good reminder to spend some time on the excellent Weird Norfolk site again.

Interesting with these Norfolk cases that at least one of the primary witnesses went on the record some years later to reaffirm what they experience, something lacking from our Gisby/Simpson case for decades after the reconstruction
The Gisbys and Simpsons appeared again in ITV's 1995 "Strange But True...?", telling what seemed to be much the same story (and doing so, I always thought, quite convincingly).

The Gisbys and Simpsons appeared again in ITV's 1995 "Strange But True...?", telling what seemed to be much the same story (and doing so, I always thought, quite convincingly).
True, however Len and Cynthia lived into their 90s and late 80s respectively and passed away within the past decade. The Simpsons to a good old age, too. None of their children have accepted requests to go on the record. Thus, they have been silent on the issue after the two reconstructions in the mid-80s, a period of thirty years or so. Incidentally, the reconstructions seem to have come about following their story making it to the 'News of The World' (see link to the Jenny Randles article below). The 'Strange But True...?' reconstruction was not filmed on location and portrayed an unrealistically rural location - possibly in the UK - whereas the hotel was somewhere along the RN7 and within a short drive from the Ibis Nord. The better reconstruction was in Episode 13 of Arthur C. Clarke's 'World of Strange Powers' in 1985:

The couples were flown out to Lyon and attempted to retrace their route. However, Geoff Simpson went on record with forum member Jenny Randles to highlight that there were still inaccuracies in this more realistic reconstruction. Here is a link, it is the most authentic account of this case as Jenny actually met with Geoff and Pauline:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=wJWeDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT18&lpg=PT18&dq=jenny+randles+simpson+gisby&source=bl&ots=f6BsK9t9qZ&sig=ACfU3U2X8-56FxuVTkA0xeWIRR6lVtQubA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjrjuePvIb3AhUIesAKHcJwD1YQ6AF6BAgLEAM#v=onepage&q=jenny randles simpson gisby&f=false

Note that Geoff Simpson "just wanted to forget about it" until the media storm blew up.

Last edited:
True, however Len and Cynthia lived into their 90s and late 80s respectively and passed away within the past decade. The Simpsons to a good old age, too. None of their children have accepted requests to go on the record. Thus, they have been silent on the issue after the two reconstructions in the mid-80s, a period of thirty years or so. Incidentally, the reconstructions seem to have come about following their story making it to the 'News of The World' (see link to the Jenny Randles article below). The 'Strange But True...?' reconstruction was not filmed on location and portrayed an unrealistically rural location - possibly in the UK - whereas the hotel was somewhere along the RN7 and within a short drive from the Ibis Nord. The better reconstruction was in Episode 13 of Arthur C. Clarke's 'World of Strange Powers' in 1985:

The couples were flown out to Lyon and attempted to retrace their route. However, Geoff Simpson went on record with forum member Jenny Randles to highlight that there were still inaccuracies in this more realistic reconstruction. Here is a link, it is the most authentic account of this case as Jenny actually met with Geoff and Pauline:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=wJWeDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT18&lpg=PT18&dq=jenny+randles+simpson+gisby&source=bl&ots=f6BsK9t9qZ&sig=ACfU3U2X8-56FxuVTkA0xeWIRR6lVtQubA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjrjuePvIb3AhUIesAKHcJwD1YQ6AF6BAgLEAM#v=onepage&q=jenny randles simpson gisby&f=false

Note that Geoff Simpson "just wanted to forget about it" until the media storm blew up.
Excellent article (in fact the whole book is pretty good, inc. an article by Mary Rose Barrington -- I've ordered a copy from Book Depository). Of course the strange silence from their children may reflect their unwillingness to get associated with anything a bit strange rather than any knowledge that might finger anyone as a trickster -- afraid I've encountered all too many such people.

Don't forget, we've got to have a trip to Horning in Norfolk 2023/24 as this timeslip is believed to happen every five years.

WEIRD NORFOLK: The Norfolk village where a family literally stepped back in time​

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/weird-norfolk-horning-timeslip-village-1565964
I usually feel rather cautious about paranormal events that are supposed to appear at such-and-such a time every year or X number of years as they usually lack witnesses from the past 50-100 years (the otherwise excellent UK Paranormal Database features many such 'legends'). However, in this case there is excellent witness testimony that hints at the very nature of time-slips themselves and I am excited already...!

I usually feel rather cautious about paranormal events that are supposed to appear at such-and-such a time every year or X number of years as they usually lack witnesses from the past 50-100 years (the otherwise excellent UK Paranormal Database features many such 'legends'). However, in this case there is excellent witness testimony that hints at the very nature of time-slips themselves and I am excited already...!
True. But we can all go out on Pete's boat and have a jolly good time, regardless!

Just reading the Roundhay Park account and remembered that I had forgotten to mention that we had planned to go to Crosby the next day but had to change our plans as rain was due the following day, Torrential would have been an apt description.

@Carl Grove Carl, just to clarify- this is where the area is now;
bse_LI.jpg

Reactions: RaM
While I was looking up material on the Lindholme airfield ghost (see thread elsewhere) I came across the following account which might be of interest to time slip fans:

Astrodome
26th May 2004, 23:29
For a real spooky time go to the former RAF Hemswell.

I have driven past with the family and seen the airfield landing lights on,................except that the runways are now ploughed fields.

One dark night on the way to Scunthorpe I found a section of road that was totally unlit and in complete darkness. When I stopped the car to let the kids experience the total darkness we saw an aeroplane circling the airfield the absolutely silently,..............no engine noise.

Later turned out that where we stopped was on a cliff top and could never have been in total darkness owing to the A15 lighting on the other side of the airfiled, and most of north Nottinghamshire and South Yorkshire valleys on the western side of the road. Total darkness would have required a major power cut throughout that area

This was posted on the linked aviation forum.

I have driven past with the family and seen the airfield landing lights on,................except that the runways are now ploughed fields.
It just struck me that agricultural workers sometimes work through the night, and often use quite complex lighting rigs that might resemble landing lights.

While I'm not sure that much useful work can be done on a brief, unverified account from 18 years back, I did have a quick look at information on Hemswell to see if anything suggested itself. The airfield closed in 1974, though interestingly in view of the account's claim of seeing a 'silent' aircraft, a glider unit was stationed there in its final years.

The surrounding area seems quite isolated so I can't imagine it would be that difficult to seem completely dark at night under certain conditions. One thing I was puzzled by was the reference to stopping on a "cliff" but there is, indeed, a Hemswell Cliff - a ridge of high ground. I then had a jolt of recognition (and @Carl Grove will enjoy this) that this was the same "cliff" and area mentioned in connection with some of the Lincolnshire earthlight-type accounts collected by Ethel Rudkin in a 1938 article in Folklore, and which I'd mentioned in the will-o-the-wisp thread.

This isn’t so much a timeslip more a feeling I had yesterday. Me and my wife and the dog were walking around the backstreets of east Wittering in Sussex looking for a road that would give us access to the beach. We don’t live here we are on holiday.
The dog was lagging behind and when I looked around to see where she was I had this sudden feeling in my head that I was in the 1960s. It didn’t last long,maybe five seconds and disappeared as quickly as it started. I carried on walking thinking that was strange.
The road was mostly bungalows and modern new builds. The weather was gloomy with very dark rain clouds coming over and a strong wind.

While I'm not sure that much useful work can be done on a brief, unverified account from 18 years back, I did have a quick look at information on Hemswell to see if anything suggested itself. The airfield closed in 1974, though interestingly in view of the account's claim of seeing a 'silent' aircraft, a glider unit was stationed there in its final years.

The surrounding area seems quite isolated so I can't imagine it would be that difficult to seem completely dark at night under certain conditions. One thing I was puzzled by was the reference to stopping on a "cliff" but there is, indeed, a Hemswell Cliff - a ridge of high ground. I then had a jolt of recognition (and @Carl Grove will enjoy this) that this was the same "cliff" and area mentioned in connection with some of the Lincolnshire earthlight-type accounts collected by Ethel Rudkin in a 1938 article in Folklore, and which I'd mentioned in the will-o-the-wisp thread.
I certainly do!

Reactions: BS3
It is interesting to note that there are many steam-hauled charter trains each year that run on mainline BR tracks at speeds of up to 75mph. I have been on one such journey hauled by Clan Line in 1950s BR colours along the rural Salisbury to Exeter line.

Whilst enthusiasts knew about this trip, the great majority of people along that route will have had no idea an express steam train from the 1940s-60s was about to thunder past. Some of those people will have only glimpsed this from a moving car and yet to the best of my knowledge there hasn’t been a claim of a time slip or ghost train arise from such charter trains.

I mention this as it does seem that there are more factors at play in terms of sight, sound, feel/ Oz factor etc during a classic time slip experience than in glimpsing a heritage train or other vehicle in the modern day

It is interesting to note that there are many steam-hauled charter trains each year that run on mainline BR tracks at speeds of up to 75mph. I have been on one such journey hauled by Clan Line in 1950s BR colours along the rural Salisbury to Exeter line.

Whilst enthusiasts knew about this trip, the great majority of people along that route will have had no idea an express steam train from the 1940s-60s was about to thunder past. Some of those people will have only glimpsed this from a moving car and yet to the best of my knowledge there hasn’t been a claim of a time slip or ghost train arise from such charter trains.

I mention this as it does seem that there are more factors at play in terms of sight, sound, feel/ Oz factor etc during a classic time slip experience than in glimpsing a heritage train or other vehicle in the modern day
You're right, I haven't come across any accounts of steam trains from the past -- a few tales of old-looking cars, or of course horses-and-carts. Could be that we are aware that people do renovate old trains and run them on special occasions, so would maybe assume that's what it was. Then of course, if they saw a genuine time-slip train, they would probably not bother to report it.

You're right, I haven't come across any accounts of steam trains from the past -- a few tales of old-looking cars, or of course horses-and-carts. Could be that we are aware that people do renovate old trains and run them on special occasions, so would maybe assume that's what it was. Then of course, if they saw a genuine time-slip train, they would probably not bother to report it.
There are a few in a dedicated section of the excellent UK Paranormal Database, for example:

Type: Legend
Date / Time: Nineteenth century
Further Comments: Two men walking through the area watched a train pass them by. This was, however, years before railway tracks had been laid through the area.

And:

Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Mid-twentieth century, September 2004
Further Comments: Arnold was the name given to the ghostly figure seen by Mr and Mrs Reynolds, who believed he would manifest to warn of an impending accident. It may have been the same entity spotted by a soldier on duty during the Second World War. More recently, a phantom steam locomotive has been reported, although this 'ghost' could have been generated by activities surrounding the local annual steam gala.

https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/reports/rail.php

There are a few in a dedicated section of the excellent UK Paranormal Database, for example:

Type: Legend
Date / Time: Nineteenth century
Further Comments: Two men walking through the area watched a train pass them by. This was, however, years before railway tracks had been laid through the area.

And:

Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Mid-twentieth century, September 2004
Further Comments: Arnold was the name given to the ghostly figure seen by Mr and Mrs Reynolds, who believed he would manifest to warn of an impending accident. It may have been the same entity spotted by a soldier on duty during the Second World War. More recently, a phantom steam locomotive has been reported, although this 'ghost' could have been generated by activities surrounding the local annual steam gala.

https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/reports/rail.php
That's a good source, didn't know about that. The legend mentioned first of all, of a subterranean race hidden in the Tube, reminds me of a very vivid dream I had back in the 80s. I recall thinking that it would make a good plot for a film! Seeing a train before lines had been laid is a pretty convincing future slip.

The following may have already been posted on this site, but it is certainly worth reviewing again as it is one of the few time slip cases where not only have the witnesses gone on the record more than once but also it provides a tantalising glimpse into the nature of the time slip phenomenon:

The whole story is at: https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/weird-norfolk-horning-timeslip-village-1565964. Below is an extract:

Realisng quickly that something was very wrong, they began to feel not only disorientated, but frightened. The landscape had started to melt away “like a big heat haze’ and the houses that they had looked at seconds earlier turned before their eyes into ancient cottages. In amazement they watched as the modern road transformed into little more than a muddy track and the cars into carts. A thin man wearing brown appeared walking alongside a battered cart drawn by a large horse: he didn’t so much as glance at the family. Then, as suddenly as they had moved from one time to another, they heard modern-day noises: cars, voices, the thrum of life with electricity. As quickly as it had appeared, the past had evaporated. In his book Cover-Ups and Secrets: The Complete Guide to Government Conspiracies, Manipulations and Deceptionsby Nick Redfern, he quotes an interview given by Mrs Margolis in 1997, after the death of her husband. She said that she appeared to have emerged from the trance-like state induced by the time slip far faster than either her husband or son and that they had seemed “out of it and distracted, as if they were underwater”."

[my bold]

The following may have already been posted on this site, but it is certainly worth reviewing again as it is one of the few time slip cases where not only have the witnesses gone on the record more than once but also it provides a tantalising glimpse into the nature of the time slip phenomenon:

The whole story is at: https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/weird-norfolk-horning-timeslip-village-1565964. Below is an extract:

Realisng quickly that something was very wrong, they began to feel not only disorientated, but frightened. The landscape had started to melt away “like a big heat haze’ and the houses that they had looked at seconds earlier turned before their eyes into ancient cottages. In amazement they watched as the modern road transformed into little more than a muddy track and the cars into carts. A thin man wearing brown appeared walking alongside a battered cart drawn by a large horse: he didn’t so much as glance at the family. Then, as suddenly as they had moved from one time to another, they heard modern-day noises: cars, voices, the thrum of life with electricity. As quickly as it had appeared, the past had evaporated. In his book Cover-Ups and Secrets: The Complete Guide to Government Conspiracies, Manipulations and Deceptionsby Nick Redfern, he quotes an interview given by Mrs Margolis in 1997, after the death of her husband. She said that she appeared to have emerged from the trance-like state induced by the time slip far faster than either her husband or son and that they had seemed “out of it and distracted, as if they were underwater”."

[my bold]
See post #1,931

One morning when I was walking to school everything seemed to have faded and gone quiet but it lasted but seconds before normality resumed as I noticed it. I'm not sure whether I was on the cusp of a time slip though because sometimes when I'm walking now I occasionally become engrossed in my thoughts and have covered a short distance without being aware of my surroundings.

Back