• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

I can testify that the British Army and Royal Marines still teach paper map-reading to their recruits during training. And obviously understanding maps and charts is still a major part of learning to be come a Royal Navy navigational rating or officer, or a Royal Air Force pilot. These days in aviation and marine navigation electronic chart systems are preferred over paper ones, but the latter are still used for back-up.
That's good to hear.

And the Scouts, under Bear Grylls' enthusiastic leadership, definitely still do map reading and orienteering.
(My nephew's a keen scout).
Don't know where I read it then. 'Katie Price's book of facts' by the look of it.
I'll check my source tomorrow.

Therein lies the problem with modern technology - it fails, whereas a map never does. I try to explain this to the next generation but simply get the p**s taken out of me. I've lost count of the times I've asked yoofs where they have been only to be told "Don't know just followed the sat nav". ( Usually followed by "Can't read a map").

I had this too.

In a previous job we had to drive clients to a few locations in London for some sort of jolly.

I was questioned by my boss why I used a paper A-Z bound map for location finding, and also a diary to note the locations in paper and pen, when everyone else used a phone based sat-nav and a notes app on their phones.

I replied that phones can suffer battery failure, loss of signal and are more likely to get stolen than an A-Z and paper diary.
I also preferred to visualise a route in my mind having first checked it on a map, than to slavishly follow a sat-nav.

The vindication came when the boss's sat-nav directed him down a dead end street whilst en route to one of the locations, with clients in his car.

Last edited:
I was musing on this subject the other day, and it came to me

What if they are not time slips but a peek into someone elses reality or even afterlife, a dreamscape created by someone which briefly becomes visible? We often read of ghost sightings when the ghost (or whatever you want to call it) is just walking oblivious to it's modern surroundings, or in the rare cases of communication when the ghost claims to live in the house, perhaps he's haunted by the modern day occupants?

Just food for thought

I was musing on this subject the other day, and it came to me

What if they are not time slips but a peek into someone elses reality or even afterlife, a dreamscape created by someone which briefly becomes visible? We often read of ghost sightings when the ghost (or whatever you want to call it) is just walking oblivious to it's modern surroundings, or in the rare cases of communication when the ghost claims to live in the house, perhaps he's haunted by the modern day occupants?

Just food for thought
Have you seen the film ‘The Others’?

I have never thought traveling back or forward in time was a reasonable explanation, (I guess to some there is no reasonable explanation) but the cases I have read have more of an observer feel to them rather than a person actually being physically in another time, if they were surely the time paradox would apply, and your position in space and time (as mentioned earlier in the thread)

So to me it's got to be another reality that someone is living in and we get a glimpse of it, and only some people (which is very similar to much Fortean phenomena)

I have never thought traveling back or forward in time was a reasonable explanation, (I guess to some there is no reasonable explanation) but the cases I have read have more of an observer feel to them rather than a person actually being physically in another time, if they were surely the time paradox would apply, and your position in space and time (as mentioned earlier in the thread)

So to me it's got to be another reality that someone is living in and we get a glimpse of it, and only some people (which is very similar to much Fortean phenomena)
The only problem comes with people that apparently interact with the other ‘time’ like people that have bought things or paid for an overnight visit. But these never make sense to me due to changes in money.

The only problem comes with people that apparently interact with the other ‘time’ like people that have bought things or paid for an overnight visit. But these never make sense to me due to changes in money.
I believe the British family in France case has had a lot of doubt cast on it (in this thread) I have not read of many cases where people actually interact, like you say it doesn't make sense,

I believe the British family in France case has had a lot of doubt cast on it (in this thread) I have not read of many cases where people actually interact, like you say it doesn't make sense,
I’m sure there was one about a shop and envelopes or pouches or something.

Fascinating! And I cannot find a copy of 'The Mask of Time' by Joan Forman, mentioned in the article. It is sold out all over the internet.
Going to keep my eyes open for it!
Joan Forman is a worthwhile read... I have her The Haunted South, which is excellent.

Wow - I looked on our United States ebay and this was not listed, also on abebooks.com and bookfinder.com, neither had a copy.
This Australian seller will not ship to the USA, however sooner or later one will show up!
There's a copy for 40 quid on UK ebay at the moment.

Back